F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > A/C Still Freezing after 3 "repairs"
proTUNING Freaks

03-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

A/C Still Freezing after 3 "repairs"

so I just dropped my 2016 328 at the dealer for the 4th try at getting the a/c fixed. it seems to be the same issue that others have had where the a/c will essentially stop blowing air after any reasonable amount of time on the road, but nothing the dealer has done will get it working correctly.

first time around they did some sort of reprogram.
second time around they replaced the compressor.
the third time, after some sort of retrofit designed for this issue, I was told with confidence that it would be fixed. but of course 45 mins down the road and not only does it stop working, but one vent was actually blowing very hot air.

so it's in the shop again with the service manager now heavily involved, but i don't know that they even know what's wrong. on her recommendation, we have also begun talks with bmwna and customer relations about a possible lemon law situation, but we would rather avoid that if possible.
has anybody else had this similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

I would just do the lemon law and get another car.
Appreciate 3
eluded3038.00
IK6SPEED4488.00
BrettKA7566.50
      04-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
Agree ^

You were looking at purchasing OEM M Sport Front Bumper from me.

Might as well just get new car with one on it.

Hate to lose sale, but it’s the easiest way to do it right.
Appreciate 1
BrettKA7566.50
      04-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #4
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I had the same issue, but the reprogram fixed it. It's a known issue for 2015/16. I also heard of the retrofit too. Weird it's still doing it.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Sounds like compressor is freezing up
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
its looking like thats what its going to be, but I would guess BMW is going to do everything they can to avoid that.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Agree ^

You were looking at purchasing OEM M Sport Front Bumper from me.

Might as well just get new car with one on it.

Hate to lose sale, but it’s the easiest way to do it right.
That is something I thought of. As I understand it, I would get something of nearly identical mileage, year, price, etc. but does anybody know if I would be able to pay out of pocket for features/packages that I don't currently have? That way would be much cheaper to get things like the M-sport body, LED lights and a couple other things that are pricey in the aftermarket route.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcw5 View Post
That is something I thought of. As I understand it, I would get something of nearly identical mileage, year, price, etc. but does anybody know if I would be able to pay out of pocket for features/packages that I don't currently have? That way would be much cheaper to get things like the M-sport body, LED lights and a couple other things that are pricey in the aftermarket route.
They buy your vehicle back.

There is a mileage deduction. Whatever cents per mile. That’s it.

You are free to buy whatever car brand or model you want for whatever price....or buy nothing at all.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #9
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They buy your vehicle back.

There is a mileage deduction. Whatever cents per mile. ThatÂ’s it.

You are free to buy whatever car brand or model you want for whatever price....or buy nothing at all.
ok so if I paid $26,xxx and put 1,000 miles since the purchase, then they would deduct x cents per mile from the $26k and give us that in cash?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok so if I paid $26,xxx and put 1,000 miles since the purchase, then they would deduct x cents per mile from the $26k and give us that in cash?
Essentially, yes

It might vary slightly by state.

Did you buy outright, lease or finance?

Trade in ?
Appreciate 1
hcw59.00
      04-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Essentially, yes

It might vary slightly by state.

Did you buy outright, lease or finance?

Trade in ?
sold the previous car private and then put that down on the new one and financed the rest. got it in august so we've only made 8 payments so far
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
sold the previous car private and then put that down on the new one and financed the rest. got it in august so we've only made 8 payments so far
I would be shocked if BMWNA allows it to happen on an AC issue, but you should push for it

Did they replaced the ac condensor/radiator thats in front with the other radiators?

A/c could be freezing up if there is moisture in system. They need to replace the ac condensor or at least the dryer in it and dry out all the lines

Compressor will most likely need to be replaced as moisture will ruin it
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #13
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update: the dealer called and let me know that the they completed the A/C repairs and should have the car back to me tuesday. i was told there was some freon leaking that may have been causing the problem. they replaced two hoses (can't remember which two off the top of my head but will update tomorrow with details) and said they have test driven it without any problems. The real test will be tuesday when the car gets delivered back to me as it is about a 5 hour drive. hopefully this fix works.
Thanks to you guys for your input. and hopefully you don't hear more from me about a lemon situation
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #14
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
its looking like thats what its going to be, but I would guess BMW is going to do everything they can to avoid that.
BMW can't do anything to avoid it. It's the law. Just get on the web and see exactly what the lemon law rules are for Texas. If you feel that you've met the criteria they outline, then just find a good lemon law attorney. Most won't cost you anything if the manufacturer is required to pay them if you win, and they usually waive any fees even if they lose. You are totally removed from the process until your attorney (hopefully) gets the outcome you desire. Most importantly, check the rules for your state.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Do you have the blower set to low? If there isn't enough airflow from the blower, the condenser freezes up, and you will lose A/C until it thaws again.

I keep my blower at the mid point, and have no issues. When I first got the far, I left it on low, and after a while on the highway, A/C stopped, it sounded like air flow got re-directed to thaw the condenser, and after about 1/2 hour it worked again.
Appreciate 1
ZHP076145.00
      04-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
BMW can't do anything to avoid it. It's the law. Just get on the web and see exactly what the lemon law rules are for Texas. If you feel that you've met the criteria they outline, then just find a good lemon law attorney. Most won't cost you anything if the manufacturer is required to pay them if you win, and they usually waive any fees even if they lose. You are totally removed from the process until your attorney (hopefully) gets the outcome you desire. Most importantly, check the rules for your state.
I doubt OPs car has been at Dealership more than 30 days at this point. BMW (and other car companies) have Company techs that get involved instead of Dealership techs (usually) as that last week approaches.

That’s when potent Lemon Law issues usually gets fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I doubt OPs car has been at Dealership more than 30 days at this point. BMW (and other car companies) have Company techs that get involved instead of Dealership techs (usually) as that last week approaches.

That’s when potent Lemon Law issues usually gets fixed.
The 30-day test is only one hurdle. From Texas DMV:
The Four Times Test
You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair

Four (4) times for the same defect(s) within the first two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
the problem continues to exist.
The Serious Safety Hazard Test
A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard

during first two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first, and
The 30 Day Test
If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect(s) that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no comparable loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 30-day test is only one hurdle. From Texas DMV:
The Four Times Test

Four (4) times for the same defect(s) within the first two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard

The 30 Day Test
If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect(s) that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no comparable loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.
I am VERY aware of the law. You originally stated:

Quote:
BMW can't do anything to avoid it. It's the law.
As I noted, the car had not gone in 4 times and and most likely not been out of service for 30 days.

Therefore, BMW COULD Avoid it, despite your early post to the contrary.

Yes, 30 days is just one hurdle, but it is a hurdle unmet at this point.

Therefore, it’s not the:
Quote:
You claim it to be.

The AC is NOT a safety issue. It falls under the 30 day test of affecting market value.

And if the dealership gave OP a comparable loaner, again your:
Quote:
Is false.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 04-08-2018 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #19
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am VERY aware of the law. You originally stated:

As I noted, the car had not gone in 4 times and and most likely not been out of service for 30 days.

Therefore, BMW COULD Avoid it, despite your early post to the contrary.

Yes, 30 days is just one hurdle, but it is a hurdle unmet at this point.

Therefore, it’s not the:

You claim it to be.

The AC is NOT a safety issue. It falls under the 30 day test of affecting market value.

And if the dealership gave OP a comparable loaner, again your:
Is false.
Easy now. It's an "OR" requirement, not an "AND" requirement. OP brought the car in for the 4th time. If the AC isn't fixed, he's met the 4 times test and lemon law applies if the OP wishes to pursue it.

From the Texas DMV:
How many “reasonable attempts” to repair a defect is the manufacturer allowed?
One way to show the dealer has had a reasonable number of attempts to fix a defect is to pass one of the following tests. Mileage requirements in the tests do not apply to travel trailers.

The Four Times Test

The 30 Day Test

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #20
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update: I spoke with my SA and the service manager and they found that the expansion valve was not working properly, so they replaced that and i'm told that the a/c has been working properly on their drives since. I go to school 5 hours from the dealer, so they plan on delivering the car tomorrow to swap with the loaner i have. altogether on this 4th repair attempt, they have had the car for about 2.5 weeks and have had ample drive/testing time, but the 5 hour drive will be a true test if its working, as thats when it has stopped working in the past. I don't think the hoses they replaced were the problem, as it continued after that repair, but its good they got replaced. I think the expansion valve was the culprit. I will confirm that that was the issue once they get the car back to me with no issues.

I appreciate everyone's inputs. hopefully reading about this process will help anyone else having the same issues.
Appreciate 1
CJ4211550.00
      04-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #21
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update: I spoke with my SA and the service manager and they found that the expansion valve was not working properly, so they replaced that and i'm told that the a/c has been working properly on their drives since. I go to school 5 hours from the dealer, so they plan on delivering the car tomorrow to swap with the loaner i have. altogether on this 4th repair attempt, they have had the car for about 2.5 weeks and have had ample drive/testing time, but the 5 hour drive will be a true test if its working, as thats when it has stopped working in the past. I don't think the hoses they replaced were the problem, as it continued after that repair, but its good they got replaced. I think the expansion valve was the culprit. I will confirm that that was the issue once they get the car back to me with no issues.

I appreciate everyone's inputs. hopefully reading about this process will help anyone else having the same issues.
In the mean time, get schooled on Texas lemon law. There is a time limit related to how long the car has been in service.
Appreciate 1
hcw59.00
      05-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #22
lacrimarum
Private First Class
Russia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 320xi lci

It seems like I have a somewhat similar issue. Had a three-hour trip back home today, outside temperature was 65F in the morning and went up to 80 later. After a couple of hours I noticed that the blow from the vents is gradually becoming weaker and warmer. Finally its temperature became equal to outside air, and even AC max mode did not do any difference - the fan was working on fastest speed, AC button was on, but it was blowing warm air. The climate control was completely useless for the rest of the trip.
I've asked our local BMW representational office if there are any TSBs available for my car, will see what they'll answer.
Appreciate 0