F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2014 328i xDrive mysterious misfire
proTUNING Freaks

06-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Kngshwn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive

2014 328i xDrive mysterious misfire

I have a 2014 328i xDrive with 54k miles on it. I just recently bought it and it's a great car minus the misfiring situation I'm dealing with. It misfires only in 3rd and 4th gear around 2.5-4.5k rpm. It does it when I give it more gas to go. I changed the spark plugs and I order coil packs but my car did not agree with them and began to misfire constantly in any gear and went into limp mode and threw up check engine codes. But I replaced the coil packs with the old ones. And the initial problem is still there but sharper because of new spark plugs. I'm taking the car to BMW on Monday for an official diagnosis but I have a strong feeling it's something in the fuel system that's causing the issue because it seems as if it's running lean on fuel delivery. But I'm no mechanic and it seems as if no one else has the same issue as me. Any advice or information would help!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
lonecitizenfour
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngshwn View Post
I have a 2014 328i xDrive with 54k miles on it. I just recently bought it and it's a great car minus the misfiring situation I'm dealing with. It misfires only in 3rd and 4th gear around 2.5-4.5k rpm. It does it when I give it more gas to go. I changed the spark plugs and I order coil packs but my car did not agree with them and began to misfire constantly in any gear and went into limp mode and threw up check engine codes. But I replaced the coil packs with the old ones. And the initial problem is still there but sharper because of new spark plugs. I'm taking the car to BMW on Monday for an official diagnosis but I have a strong feeling it's something in the fuel system that's causing the issue because it seems as if it's running lean on fuel delivery. But I'm no mechanic and it seems as if no one else has the same issue as me. Any advice or information would help!
Which cylinders? Did you move around the coil packs / plugs to see if it persists? You need to keep certain variables constant to diagnose properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Kngshwn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecitizenfour View Post
Which cylinders? Did you move around the coil packs / plugs to see if it persists? You need to keep certain variables constant to diagnose properly.
One of the coils were bad and we found out which one was bad and replaced it with the old one. I decided to replace them all with the old coils because it seemed as if the problem was actually getting worse as I drove with the new coil packs in.
Appreciate 0