F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 320i F30 2012 Engine Rebuild Cost
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

02-10-2021, 11:47 PM   #1
Malika166
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2012

Unhappy 320i F30 2012 Engine Rebuild Cost

Hello, New user here, not sure if posting in right place, but.

I have a BMW f30 320i 2012 and it turned off while driving, took it to the nearest mechanic and I was told I need to either replace the engine or do a rebuild and the quote was $12,000 AUD. The engine had an oil leak and on the report, it says "found low on oil and metal and plastic contaminants". I got the car in college on a loan and at the time it was a good decision as I had no expenses but now I am stuck with a car, can't sell it or drive it and with $12k can buy a whole car with it. Just wondering if anyone knows if replacing with an older engine is better or to find someone else that does engine repairs? My only option has been to leave it in the garage and keep paying off the car, makes me sad as it was a very fun car to drive and it is even worse as the tyres and brake pads are less than 1 week old Any recommendations will be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:50 AM   #2
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Sounds like TC failure, its a tight spot you're in, best course of action for you in the immediate future would be to see if it indeed was starved of oil and seized, worst case scenario and it did seize then go ahead and try to source a used n20 engine from a junkyard for a fraction of what a rebuild would be and see if you can have them install it.

Also, no harm in calling bmw hq in australia (do they even have a bmw office down there?) and ask for options considering there is an extended warranty out in NA for a known defect and how they plan to help you based on that knowledge of a known weakness in their design.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2021, 04:43 AM   #3
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

welcome to the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 04:55 AM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Sorry to hear about your car my friend.
There looks to be a couple for sale at the link below. Not sure what the cost and time would be for shipping but should still be below 10k.

https://buyusedengine.com/used_engin...;search=Search
      02-15-2021, 05:40 PM   #5
Malika166
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
Sounds like TC failure, its a tight spot you're in, best course of action for you in the immediate future would be to see if it indeed was starved of oil and seized, worst case scenario and it did seize then go ahead and try to source a used n20 engine from a junkyard for a fraction of what a rebuild would be and see if you can have them install it.

Also, no harm in calling bmw hq in australia (do they even have a bmw office down there?) and ask for options considering there is an extended warranty out in NA for a known defect and how they plan to help you based on that knowledge of a known weakness in their design.
Thank you for your response, I had no warning on the Idrive and I check it regularly and said oil levels are good when the car turned off I took it to the mechanic the same day it turned off and each time the tow truck driver picked up or dropped off car he started the car and drove onto the truck so the engine still runs and working but I'm sure that did more damage. I think I added the photo correctly but that is the quote for engine replacement, not sure if the price is standard but that is still pretty expensive unless I put an older engine. nut thanks again, I'll give BMW a call, we do have one here hopefully they can help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
Malika166
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
welcome to the club
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
Malika166
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Sorry to hear about your car my friend.
There looks to be a couple for sale at the link below. Not sure what the cost and time would be for shipping but should still be below 10k.

https://buyusedengine.com/used_engin...;search=Search
Thank you, I will have a look, might just put old engine, at least I can drive it, I just thought engine rebuild was cheaper and can drive longer as parts are new
Appreciate 0