F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Potenza RE-11 vs. Michelin PSS
GetBMWParts

08-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

Potenza RE-11 vs. Michelin PSS

I was all set on a set of PPSs for my 335i, but after talking to the rep at America's tire he recommended the Bridgetones. He said that with the high-speed tracking conditions that I'll be in at Auto Club Speedway, the PSSs would get greasy and useless pretty quickly, the RE-11s would hold up longer.

I have seen comments here and around about the greasy feeling of the PSSs after a while but first recommend I've heard in favor of another tire.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacrX View Post
I was all set on a set of PPSs for my 335i, but after talking to the rep at America's tire he recommended the Bridgetones. He said that with the high-speed tracking conditions that I'll be in at Auto Club Speedway, the PSSs would get greasy and useless pretty quickly, the RE-11s would hold up longer.

I have seen comments here and around about the greasy feeling of the PSSs after a while but first recommend I've heard in favor of another tire.

Thoughts?

Michelin is more street oriented and will be a better and longer wearing tire if you are doing limited track driving.

RE11 is extreme summer tire and will be better at track while sacrificing wear and wet performance.

If you will be tracking your car extensively look into a separate wheel and tire combo.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2015, 02:10 AM   #3
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

I agree with the post above, if you are serious about tracking you should look into the RE-71 or RS3. These are not good tires for daily driving and it would be ideal if they were wrapped on a set of track wheels.
      08-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacrX View Post

Thoughts?

Michelin is more street oriented and will be a better and longer wearing tire if you are doing limited track driving.

RE11 is extreme summer tire and will be better at track while sacrificing wear and wet performance.

If you will be tracking your car extensively look into a separate wheel and tire combo.
Indeed, but the proper Michelin tire to compare these Potenzas to are the Pilot Sport Cup, not the PSS.

Also, the PSS are not slick at all. New tires that haven't been broken in are always slick. Once street tires have a few hundred miles on them, they feel grippy.

The PSS are the highest rated street tires in the world; don't fool yourself trying to believe something else is better right now.

Like others are saying, if you do any serious track driving, you don't do it on your daily driver wheels and tires.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0