F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > USB Randomizing problem
ARMA SPEED

02-19-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
sunnydjordan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

USB Randomizing problem

Hello, sorry for reposting if this has already been addressed. I have been trying to research on and off for months.

I have a 428i and I listen to my music through the USB in the armrest.
I have about 3000 songs on a 64 gig Samsung flash drive.

What is happening is I always have my drive on random, and it plays random. Then I turn off my car and turn it back on and it starts over on a particular song, and repeats the same 10 20 or 30 songs and then re randomizes. Sometimes I turn the car on and it keeps randomizing. It doesn't matter how long the car is off for. But sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It is very annoying to fwd through up to 30 songs to have "new" random songs.

I'm wondering if BMW doesn't
- Like my drive (Samsung) 64 gig
- Doesn't like the format. (I've formatted it in Exfat and NTFS) I'm now trying Fat32 through command prompt.
- Doesn't like the allocation file sizes. (I've tried default and changed the sizes)

Please advise if anyone can help, I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. The dealership either doesn't want to upgrade my software or there isn't a new one. The update on the website seems to be older than the one I have now, as it won't update. None of the other cars I've had have had this problem.. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
I have noticed the same thing in my MY16 F36. I just trow out a @#$$% and hit the next button. I never put much thought into it thinking it was just poor or lazy programming of the randomizer. I assumed it was a "pure" random selection which means technically it could choose the same song right after it finishes playing. In my days of programming, when a cpu is instructed to pick a random number, it does just that...ANY number regardless of what the last choice was, or even the last 10 choices and so on. Additional parameters need to be programmed in to "weight" or "unweight" already randomly chosen numbers. Once this is considered, it opens to a hallway with a million doors to what the best parameters should be. i.e. How often do you keep adding weight to songs? Is it measured in minutes, On/off, do you play ALL songs before allowing a second play, etc...the scenarios go on forever. I could be completely wrong here but that's my rationalization when i need to hit the next button more often than expected.

Also for what its worth, my songs are loaded on the internal HD and it still bad, doubt its your memory stick. I've also tested with about 150 songs....same thing, doesn't matter if it's 150 or 3,000 songs...seems to be the same.
Appreciate 0