F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Best mirrorless camera?
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #23
Gamb1t
Captain
Gamb1t's Avatar
Canada
355
Rep
833
Posts

Drives: 330i, X1, RX-8
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Canukistan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
The A7 mark 2 is a BIG step up from the A7. Have you tried one?
Yes. Played with it at an invite only Sony event 2 years ago. Not big enough step. An A7III with the improvements from A7R2... now that would be nice. Come on hurry up Sony!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #24
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
231
Rep
875
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Yes. Played with it at an invite only Sony event 2 years ago. Not big enough step. An A7III with the improvements from A7R2... now that would be nice. Come on hurry up Sony!

So sorry, my mistake. I meant A7R2 was the big step up IMO, which is what I have. I forgot there was also an A72.
__________________
2014 "AW/SO"me M5
Mission Performance/3.5 Bar
RK Autowerks/ CSF ICs
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #25
FourDoor
Private
54
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X5
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I'll add a +1 to the Fuji ecosystem. For years, I traveled with my Nikon dslr with the 24-70 as my primary lens and various tripods. The weight doesn't seam like much on paper but after a full days worth of walking around an unknown city or hiking to landmarks, the gear weight becomes a factor.

Additionally, I've been stopped at multiple places around the world and had to either leave my gear at the security check in or were forced to sneak in photos with my DSLR since there were "No Professional Photos Allowed".

I first picked up a Fui XT1 with the 35mm F1.4. I took that setup to our Asia trip through China, Japan, & Taiwan. I made a conscious effort not to bring too much gear and was happy with the results. The camera is so small and lightweight and inconspicuous. I enjoyed the trip more instead of fiddling around with my gear. The physical dials, although they took a little while to get used to, is something I can't live without now.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #26
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1629
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post
I'll add a +1 to the Fuji ecosystem. For years, I traveled with my Nikon dslr with the 24-70 as my primary lens and various tripods. The weight doesn't seam like much on paper but after a full days worth of walking around an unknown city or hiking to landmarks, the gear weight becomes a factor.

Additionally, I've been stopped at multiple places around the world and had to either leave my gear at the security check in or were forced to sneak in photos with my DSLR since there were "No Professional Photos Allowed".

I first picked up a Fui XT1 with the 35mm F1.4. I took that setup to our Asia trip through China, Japan, & Taiwan. I made a conscious effort not to bring too much gear and was happy with the results. The camera is so small and lightweight and inconspicuous. I enjoyed the trip more instead of fiddling around with my gear. The physical dials, although they took a little while to get used to, is something I can't live without now.
I think I will go this route: XT-1 with a 35mm 1.4 or something a little wider. That would be my only setup for traveling and such. A bit out of my price range so I will wait for a good deal. Just got done with holiday expenses so I don't want to drop almost $2k on that setup right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #27
FourDoor
Private
54
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X5
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I think I will go this route: XT-1 with a 35mm 1.4 or something a little wider. That would be my only setup for traveling and such. A bit out of my price range so I will wait for a good deal. Just got done with holiday expenses so I don't want to drop almost $2k on that setup right now.
Actually as an update, I switched from the XT-1/35mm1.4 to the XT-10/35mm2.0 last year after one of our other trips. My reasoning were:

- The XT-1 and XT-10 have the same image sensor
- I didn't need the water proofing of the XT-1
- I could live with the smaller screen from the viewfinder
- I switched to the 35mm F2.0 to get the silver finish initially just for aesthetics but found the 35mm F2.0 was much faster at grabbing focus in low light than the F1.4. I didn't miss the extra missing stop after finding that the F2.0 was much faster at grabbing focus without hunting as much (which is still a common issue with most mirrorless cameras)

Lastly, as a true walkaround lens I probably would go and get the new 23mm F2.0 now that I've had the 35mm for over a year. Just having that extra field of view at 23mm helps tremendously especially when you're in cramped spaces where you don't have room to take a few steps back to get the right composition.

So for around $1,300, you can get the XT-10 and the new 23mm and have amazing images! Also the XT-20 is supposedly coming out this year so that will drive the prices of the XT-10 down even more like the XT-2 is doing now for the XT-1.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1629
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

From my search it seems like the X-T1 with kit lens weighs 10 oz (about .63 lb) more than the A6000 with kit lens. Would I notice the difference in weight? Really just need something portable and takes good pictures with some manual controls.

Bought the A5000 with 16-50mm for $275 but m will return it if I go with something better. Others have recommended the A6000 with Sigma DC 30mm 1.4 as the main lens. Thoughts? It is at about half the price of the Fuji for a similar setup.

Last edited by BMW F22; 01-17-2017 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #29
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1629
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Decisions decisions...don't wanna spend too much unless it's worth it.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #30
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1629
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Pre-ordered Fujifilm X-T20 w/18-55mm lens in silver. Will be here mid-Feb. Should be a good lens for travel. If I decide otherwise I could always get a 23mm or 35mm prime lens.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #31
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1258
Rep
3,253
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

The 18-55 is a really good lens. I'm betting you will be surprised by the IQ it offers.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #32
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1629
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

How important is WR? Aren't you guys afraid that dust, dirt, and water might get inside the camera?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #33
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1193
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
How important is WR? Aren't you guys afraid that dust, dirt, and water might get inside the camera?

WR? I'm afraid that I don't know that acronym.

Sensors are easily cleaned. I change lenses almost every outing (several per week) and it has not cause any significant problems with my DSLRs. I'd expect similar results with a mirrorless.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #34
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1629
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
WR? I'm afraid that I don't know that acronym.

Sensors are easily cleaned. I change lenses almost every outing (several per week) and it has not cause any significant problems with my DSLRs. I'd expect similar results with a mirrorless.

Dave
Weather resistant or weather sealed
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #35
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1258
Rep
3,253
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

I've trekked my XT-1 all over Yosemite, changing lenses multiple times with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #36
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1193
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Weather resistant or weather sealed
Oh, okay.

I often shoot my DSLRs in snow and rain, with no cover, so that would be a concern to me; however, I'm not so sure that it's a major issue for most shooters.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #37
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1629
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
I've trekked my XT-1 all over Yosemite, changing lenses multiple times with no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Oh, okay.

I often shoot my DSLRs in snow and rain, with no cover, so that would be a concern to me; however, I'm not so sure that it's a major issue for most shooters.
Yeah, I'm not sure either. I asked because the X-T20 i pre-ordered is not WR. I have taken my gear (inside a camera pack) and walked up Dunes River Falls in the rain before. I also climbed behind a waterfall in Hawaii to take pictures. Not sure how much those things affect a non-WR camera but I'm a bit concerned now (especially if I will be taking it on trips to places that will have snow, dusty, or very humid and hot).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #38
druu
Second Lieutenant
33
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2018 G30 M550i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

nah, no WR hasnt ever been an issue for me. I got dumped on by rain in Cinque Terre on my honeymoon and my fuji xt-10 at the time with the 16mm and 56mm were fine, as was my x70. the 16mm is fantastic, but a bit pricy for the lineup imo (when you consider that the 56 1.2 is less than 1k for a lens that usually around 1800-2000 dollars the 16mm at 1k seems a worse value proposition)

I've since moved back to an xpro body because i missed the hybrid VF.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #39
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
bimmerfrk's Avatar
358
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow M4
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC & some PA

iTrader: (0)

Nope its a leica SL TYP 601

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...irrorless.html
__________________
2011 M3 Sedan : Alpine White / Fox Interior : Escort X50 Hardwired
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #40
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1193
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
LOL. Have you held one? It'd be my number one choice for a bar fight! You could really do some damage with that machine.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #41
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1258
Rep
3,253
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

For that kind of dough I would be looking at the Fuji GFX 505 which looks like it will be a well flushed out MF system. I've never been all that impressed with digital Leicas.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #42
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1193
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
For that kind of dough I would be looking at the Fuji GFX 505 which looks like it will be a well flushed out MF system. I've never been all that impressed with digital Leicas.
It's got a mirror, but my Canon 5DS-R is proving to be a true MF body, at least so far as some editors are concerned. I just sold an image to a German company that makes 12' murals on wallpaper. Resolution is a key issue for them and, apparently, the 5DS-R delivers "enough."

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #43
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1629
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
nah, no WR hasnt ever been an issue for me. I got dumped on by rain in Cinque Terre on my honeymoon and my fuji xt-10 at the time with the 16mm and 56mm were fine, as was my x70. the 16mm is fantastic, but a bit pricy for the lineup imo (when you consider that the 56 1.2 is less than 1k for a lens that usually around 1800-2000 dollars the 16mm at 1k seems a worse value proposition)

I've since moved back to an xpro body because i missed the hybrid VF.
I think that if WR is just a marketing gimmick then the X-T20 will be fine for me. If everything you guys said is true, you've just saved me $600 by not going with the X-T2.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #44
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1629
Rep
9,579
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Got an X-T2 w/18-55mm and battery grip.
Probably will sell the grip as I don't need it.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST