F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 435i Intake?
proTUNING Freaks

08-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
Luv_Vestal
Cool Mom Status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

Garage List
435i Intake?

What's the best intake to put on my car? New to the 4 series..
2015 435i xDrive Coupe / 6MT / Alpine White / Dakota Coral Interior / M Sport Package / Dynamic Handling / M Performance Brakes / M Sport 19” Wheels / H&R Race Springs / MPPK / MPE / Dinan CAI / Dinan S3 Tune / VRS Aero Carbon Fiber Front Spoiler / M Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler / M Performance Rear Diffuser / M Performance Sport Stripes / Carbon Fiber Dual Slats Grill
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

The one which came on it unless you just want more sound. BMW engineers got it right.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
The one which came on it unless you just want more sound. BMW engineers got it right.
This. If you want one that has great sound I'd look into CTS Turbo!
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Just echoing what others have said. There are no real performance gains from a CAI. Just some sweet turbo noise!!
      08-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Agree with above posts, just make sure of good filtration as stock is fine.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

As far as performance I'd go with the M Performance OEM bottom box and a high flow drop in. If you want to hear the turbo spool and the diverter valve whoosh then go with CTS Turbo all the way. I've had it on my car 435i for over a year and it's been great. No CEL or rough idle as other intakes are known to cause. Good luck.
Attached Images

08-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Dinan is the only aftermarket option worth considering.
Appreciate 3
1QuikWS61621.50
zamboni1130.50
      08-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
Luv_Vestal
Cool Mom Status
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok thanks everyone for input.. with that being said what I really care most about is adding a performance tuner and I read you had to have upgraded intake and exhaust for the stage 3 or 4???
2015 435i xDrive Coupe / 6MT / Alpine White / Dakota Coral Interior / M Sport Package / Dynamic Handling / M Performance Brakes / M Sport 19” Wheels / H&R Race Springs / MPPK / MPE / Dinan CAI / Dinan S3 Tune / VRS Aero Carbon Fiber Front Spoiler / M Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler / M Performance Rear Diffuser / M Performance Sport Stripes / Carbon Fiber Dual Slats Grill
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyLUVSbmw View Post
Quote:
Ok thanks everyone for input.. with that being said what I really care most about is adding a performance tuner and I read you had to have upgraded intake and exhaust for the stage 3 or 4???
Get the Dinan one. Everything else is filter on a stick and sacrificing performance for sound. Beyond Dinan you're looking at spending 2-3x as much for looks but no additional functionality. So Dinan plus maybe AFE scoop for $50 and call it a day.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
As far as performance I'd go with the M Performance OEM bottom box and a high flow drop in. If you want to hear the turbo spool and the diverter valve whoosh then go with CTS Turbo all the way. I've had it on my car 435i for over a year and it's been great. No CEL or rough idle as other intakes are known to cause. Good luck.
I have the air box that came with my MPPK purchase. I dropped in a K&N filter. The sound is a bit louder, like the car is "breathing" easier. Good stuff.
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Get the Dinan one. Everything else is filter on a stick and sacrificing performance for sound. Beyond Dinan you're looking at spending 2-3x as much for looks but no additional functionality. So Dinan plus maybe AFE scoop for $50 and call it a day.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I have the air box that came with my MPPK purchase. I dropped in a K&N filter. The sound is a bit louder, like the car is "breathing" easier. Good stuff.
The MPPK has the lower airbox modification to eliminate the heat air riser (thus it keeps air cooler for more performance) and for increased air flow above 5,500 RPM. The Dinan Air Intake is less restrictive on air flow but would have negligible impact without minimum of MPPK to take advantage of higher HP.

I have the 335i with MPPK & MPE. I installed the Dinan Intake, a very slight improvement 6,000-7,000 RPM only, otherwise no other noticeable difference in the rest of the power spectrum. However, the Carbon Fiber look under the hood is nice looking.

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
Luv_Vestal
Cool Mom Status
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
So your saying to use the stage 3 or 4 tuner an upgraded intake or exhaust is not needed? I have the m performance exhaust already on my car .. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what is needed in order to add the stage 3 or 4 tuner or am I good to go as is..?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #13
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Shown below are the MPPK lower airbox for 435 N55 on left, original factory lower as supplied with my car from factory

If you notice, box on right includes the BMW 'snow valve' which is included on cars with 'Winter Pkg' my car had this.

The Dinan Intake conversion includes removing this valve & installing blank off plate in it's place so no outside air enters the airbox except thru the intake snorkel at DS of rad.

The MPPK box on left does indeed not have the snow valve, but it does have that large hole in the side rimmed in red plastic. Nothing else is different between the MPPK box & std. That large opening is only there for increased sound - because that's what customer expect to hear when supposedly upgrading to a better intake...

Myself, and many others, feel that a sealed intake is the best way to go - you may have your own opinion...

For that reason I did not change out my lower airbox for the MPPK version when I installed my Dinan CAI
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 2
BEM-S44515.50
      08-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #14
F30-XP-DM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335i xDrive

Another vote here for the Dinan intake. I'm not totally convinced it's worth the asking price, but it gives a nice noise under load and the CF looks awesome
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #15
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
So your saying to use the stage 3 or 4 tuner an upgraded intake or exhaust is not needed? I have the m performance exhaust already on my car .. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what is needed in order to add the stage 3 or 4 tuner or am I good to go as is..?
Regarding you tunes, generally speaking the intake won't have much, if any real affects on performance ... so it's not really necessary (although wouldn't hurt per say).

What I think is more important than intake, is the following:
  • Intercooler (VRSF is a popular one, so is ER)
  • Chargepipe (Most common aftermarket one is the ER charge pipe)
  • Catless Downpipe (Plenty of people use VRSF or ER catless DPs)
  • Midpipe (Not really necessary, but I would personally invest in this over intake .. I know AWE Tuning makes mid pipes for our car)

Also, what performance tune were you looking to add ? There are 2 "classes/types" of tuning that is available:
  • Piggyback Tune (e.g. JB4, Dinan, etc.) - Device that plugs into 1 or 2 sensors under the hood and fools the ECU (aka DME) to increase boost
  • Flash Tunes (eg. BM3, MHD, AA, etc) - Re-install new firmware/software onto the ECU (aka DME) itself; the new firmware/software itself has higher boost values built in and often safer compared to Piggyback tunes (with flash tunes, the tuner is able to specify the AFR directly to ensure the engine doesn't run too lean)

If you let us know the specific tune you are looking to add (or what your goal is), I am sure we can provide bit more details/information.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #16
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

to me, i consider an intake last of a flash tunes supporting bolt ons

for the most power and torque gain the next thing to consider is a catless or high flow catted downpipe, followed by these...

aftermarket intercooler and charge pipe, because the oem plastic one will likely fail at some point and you may as well change it while swapping the intercooler.
GFB DV+ diverter valve
aftermarket turbo inlet pipe
cat-back exhaust(mainly for sound)
lastly, intake(mainly for sound)

personally i'd probably just get a high flow drop-in filter but if you want to finish off the bolt-ons with aftermarket, from a design standpoint, the AFE Momentum GT, Dinan, and AWE S-FLO have the best designs because they're made out of plastic or cf(take longest to heatsoak) and they connect to the factory air inlet from the kidney grill. AFE Momentum GT is the cheapest of these and the one i'd suggest.

as of yet, i have not seen a legit comparison between any of these intakes and speculate that, closed or open, they'll all provide some minimal increase in performance however the open ones are a lot louder.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #17
Luv_Vestal
Cool Mom Status
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
Quote:
Regarding you tunes, generally speaking the intake won't have much, if any real affects on performance ... so it's not really necessary (although wouldn't hurt per say).

What I think is more important than intake, is the following:
  • Intercooler (VRSF is a popular one, so is ER)
  • Chargepipe (Most common aftermarket one is the ER charge pipe)
  • Catless Downpipe (Plenty of people use VRSF or ER catless DPs)
  • Midpipe (Not really necessary, but I would personally invest in this over intake .. I know AWE Tuning makes mid pipes for our car)

Also, what performance tune were you looking to add ? There are 2 "classes/types" of tuning that is available:
  • Piggyback Tune (e.g. JB4, Dinan, etc.) - Device that plugs into 1 or 2 sensors under the hood and fools the ECU (aka DME) to increase boost
  • Flash Tunes (eg. BM3, MHD, AA, etc) - Re-install new firmware/software onto the ECU (aka DME) itself; the new firmware/software itself has higher boost values built in and often safer compared to Piggyback tunes (with flash tunes, the tuner is able to specify the AFR directly to ensure the engine doesn't run too lean)

If you let us know the specific tune you are looking to add (or what your goal is), I am sure we can provide bit more details/information.
I had a jb4 on my 335i.. it went under the hood... My ultimate end goal is more HP.. the difference of my 335i with or without the jb4 was night and day.. my car was WAY quicker and all around the sound of turbos, exhaust etc was way amplified.. I don't want to swap too much for aftermarket I want to also keep it as stock as possible plus my warranty doesn't cover anything that isn't oem.

I just got the car a few months ago and as far as I can tell the only modification that's been done is previous owner had it lowered with h&r race springs.

I am going to get an aftermarket charge pipe for sure... I had so many problems with the pos plastic oem charge pipe on my 335 it was ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #18
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Personally think they are all a waste of money, Dinan is just a bigger waste then most. The car comes with a CAI from the factory. Want more just put a lower restriction (more dirt) filter in it.

The engine cannot take in more air then the stock system can deliver till you get over the 425WHP & better range.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-13-2018 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #19
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
I had a jb4 on my 335i.. it went under the hood... My ultimate end goal is more HP.. the difference of my 335i with or without the jb4 was night and day.. my car was WAY quicker and all around the sound of turbos, exhaust etc was way amplified.. I don't want to swap too much for aftermarket I want to also keep it as stock as possible plus my warranty doesn't cover anything that isn't oem.

I just got the car a few months ago and as far as I can tell the only modification that's been done is previous owner had it lowered with h&r race springs.

I am going to get an aftermarket charge pipe for sure... I had so many problems with the pos plastic oem charge pipe on my 335 it was ridiculous!
With just a stage 2, it's highly recommended you change the intercooler and the downpipe and therefore the charge pipe as well.

How do you plan on safely running an aggressive tune such as stage 3 but still keeping the car mostly stock? Sounds like a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #20
Luv_Vestal
Cool Mom Status
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Quote:

With just a stage 2, it's highly recommended you change the intercooler and the downpipe and therefore the charge pipe as well.

How do you plan on safely running an aggressive tune such as stage 3 but still keeping the car mostly stock? Sounds like a bad idea.
Well besides my charge pipe having to be replaced twice on my 335i I had no issues with just a tune
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Myself, and many others, feel that a sealed intake is the best way to go - you may have your own opinion...

For that reason I did not change out my lower airbox for the MPPK version when I installed my Dinan CAI
Ditto here, feel a sealed box is the way to go. Did not realize the Dinan intake was *that much* better than stock, it just kinda sorta came with the car as part of the deal. Great thread posts, thanks!

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61621.50
      08-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #22
rackjuediger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6mt

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Im running injen on my N20. Great sound and looks
Bimmerworld, H