F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apple CarPlay Retrofit - Done! (Update:16/11/18...now also with full screen function)
Studio RSR

10-20-2019, 06:17 AM   #397
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_is_Back View Post
Well I am pleased to report that Simon @ Bavarian Coding has worked his magic and my nav is back working again.

By a stroke of luck he was travelling up north to do another job this weekend and offered to come to me after. Get this for service: he arrived at 10:20pm last night having driven up from Birmingham, spent 2 hours reflashing my head unit, then set off to drive to Stoke at 12:20am!!

Everything is working perfectly, he has even updated me to ID6, widescreen carplay, and also stop/start memory.

Amazing! Just a shame I am getting rid of it in a few weeks. Hey ho.
Wow nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #398
gaz3014
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Hi gents.
I’ve 16 F31 335d (doesn’t have pro nav). I want to have the pro nav screen and apple car play. I’ve read this thread and now soooo confused. I’ve no idea what I have or what I need to get it sorted. Is there someone (midlands; live near Northampton) I can go see???

Help
      10-23-2019, 06:11 PM   #399
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz3014 View Post
Hi gents.
I've 16 F31 335d (doesn't have pro nav). I want to have the pro nav screen and apple car play. I've read this thread and now soooo confused. I've no idea what I have or what I need to get it sorted. Is there someone (midlands; live near Northampton) I can go see???

Help
You need a new head unit, screen and then FSC coding.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 11:57 PM   #400
kutter123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_is_Back View Post
Well I am pleased to report that Simon @ Bavarian Coding has worked his magic and my nav is back working again.

By a stroke of luck he was travelling up north to do another job this weekend and offered to come to me after. Get this for service: he arrived at 10:20pm last night having driven up from Birmingham, spent 2 hours reflashing my head unit, then set off to drive to Stoke at 12:20am!!

Everything is working perfectly, he has even updated me to ID6, widescreen carplay, and also stop/start memory.

Amazing! Just a shame I am getting rid of it in a few weeks. Hey ho.
Hi Jack,

Do you know if Simon has to do it in person or could it of been done remotely with an enet cable?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #401
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
My car has a decent spec, but having not ordered it myself (I bought an ex-demo) one thing it didnt have was CarPlay.

Originally my car came with Professional Media Plus however CarPlay was not available to purchase via ConnectedDrive store.

I got to work his magic and he has now enabled CarPlay for me. He also on separate occasions enabled iDrive 6, EBT and Android screen mirroring for me too - plus dabbled in the physical retrofitting of my M3 mirrors.

The get the CarPlay working Craig sourced me a new set of FSC codes, so the added benefit is that CarPlay is a lifetime feature, rather than a time limited option as it is on the ConnectedDrive store!

what did you need to get this to work?

i have a 2016 435gc
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #402
Jack_is_Back
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutter123 View Post
Hi Jack,

Do you know if Simon has to do it in person or could it of been done remotely with an enet cable?
In person only.
      11-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #403
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

So i just bought carplay in the bmw sale, £118 for life was a bit more sensible than the £300 odd they want the rest of the year.
Only thing is it isnt full screen, is that something that can be coded with out much hassle or is it playing with the FSC codes and potentially screwing with the other services i have?

late 2016 f31 with ID5
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #404
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
So i just bought carplay in the bmw sale, £118 for life was a bit more sensible than the £300 odd they want the rest of the year.
Only thing is it isnt full screen, is that something that can be coded with out much hassle or is it playing with the FSC codes and potentially screwing with the other services i have?

late 2016 f31 with ID5
PMed
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #405
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F36GC_NYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
My car has a decent spec, but having not ordered it myself (I bought an ex-demo) one thing it didnt have was CarPlay.

Originally my car came with Professional Media Plus however CarPlay was not available to purchase via ConnectedDrive store.

I got to work his magic and he has now enabled CarPlay for me. He also on separate occasions enabled iDrive 6, EBT and Android screen mirroring for me too - plus dabbled in the physical retrofitting of my M3 mirrors.

The get the CarPlay working Craig sourced me a new set of FSC codes, so the added benefit is that CarPlay is a lifetime feature, rather than a time limited option as it is on the ConnectedDrive store!

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
what did you need to get this to work?

i have a 2016 435gc
Contact steve at codemybimmer

info@codemybimmer.ca

He can do remotely with no hacks and life long activation.

The only thing he couldn't do was full screen activation on NBT evo Q.

If you want full screen there is only one guy that can do it with latest nbt evo Q - contact me via PM if you want this feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 03:06 PM   #406
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

late 2016 f31 with ID5
mind linking me?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #407
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:

late 2016 f31 with ID5
I had no connected drive option for my car to install car play. So had to go an alternate official route.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #408
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Keep in mind car play has two installation parts

1. Activating car play officially either via connected drive or "another method" or unofficially via patched FSC codes. Avoid the unofficial route as if the dealer updates your idrive your car will be flagged as modded and you will loose idrive functionality.

If connected drive isn't an option it means you don't have a wifi aerial - you will need to buy and install (that's easy) before either official or unofficial route.

Steve at code my bimmer will code it for you officially and remotely.

2. Activation of full screen which makes carplay useable. Steve can do this for versions before NBTevo Q. For Q you need another person. PM if you want to these details.

Hope this helps !
Appreciate 1
gondy0.00
      11-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #409
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
mind linking me?
It's the official BMW Connecteddrive store mate. Black Friday Deal on lifetime Carplay activation - £118.
      11-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #410
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
It's the official BMW Connecteddrive store mate. Black Friday Deal on lifetime Carplay activation - £118.
i went there and the website is saying its not compatible with my car after i put in my vin#
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #411
Brobbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320D Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Quote:
mind linking me?
Cheers for that mate, just bought this, although it's expensive still, it's the unlimited version 👍
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #412
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

So it looks like BMW is now making CarPlay free? Just check ConnectedDrive, still asking for £295

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/04/...apple-carplay/

Bummer. Seems like it's for iDrive 7 onwards.....roll on eBay activations.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:21 PM   #413
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
So it looks like BMW is now making CarPlay free? Just check ConnectedDrive, still asking for £295

Many people can't access car play via the connected drive store particularly if the car wasn't optioned from the factory.

The retrofit is still important for those People (me included).

Don't go the eBay activation route.

Buy the wifi aerial install it and contact Steve at code my bimmer. You can do it through bmw without connected drive for a price but it's permanent and much better.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 01:39 AM   #414
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F36 440i

I bought through eBay for £26.

Installed using ENET cable.

It comes with a feature installer so you can remove at anytime for dealer software updates then reinstall.

Works perfect, no issues so far.
      12-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #415
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

Hi All,

I have a 2018 F15 X5 with what I thought was every option available but when I attempt to buy CarPlay one the connected drive store it says it's not available for my vehicle. I have ID6 so any ideas as to why I can't get it?
      12-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #416
Hugrov
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post

Many people can't access car play via the connected drive store particularly if the car wasn't optioned from the factory.

The retrofit is still important for those People (me included).

Don't go the eBay activation route.

Buy the wifi aerial install it and contact Steve at code my bimmer. You can do it through bmw without connected drive for a price but it's permanent and much better.
drgmt, can you PM me please regarding Steve's contact details, I've tried to PM you but your mailbox is full. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #417
cjk32
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

BimmerTech Activation

Hello All,

I ordered a CarPlay activation for my 2019 F36 from BimmerTech,

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...lay-activation

my reasoning being that the price was close to CarPlay as a option, and was thus likely to be as legitimate as possible.

However, since placing the order, I've read through this thread more carefully and have realised that,

a) Unofficial CarPlay activation risks breaking Nav on a iDrive firmware update.

b) There is a way to get an official CarPlay activation from BMW, albeit at a significant cost.

Also, having looked at the BimmerTech site FAQ more carefully, it mentions the possibility of needing to re-enable CarPlay following an iDrive update. This suggests that, despite the price, the BimmerTech activation isn't an official one.

So, a few questions:

1) Has anyone used the BimmerTech CarPlay activation? Do you know if it's an official BMW activation, or if third party certificates are required? Have you had any issues after an iDrive firmware update?

2) Can anyone provide any details of how to get an official BMW CarPlay activation? I can't do so through Connected Drive because my vehicle was manufactured without the WiFi antenna (which I'll be fitting myself).

Many thanks,

Chris.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #418
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjk32 View Post
Hello All,

I ordered a CarPlay activation for my 2019 F36 from BimmerTech,

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category-bmw-apple-carplay-activation

my reasoning being that the price was close to CarPlay as a option, and was thus likely to be as legitimate as possible.

However, since placing the order, I've read through this thread more carefully and have realised that,

a) Unofficial CarPlay activation risks breaking Nav on a iDrive firmware update.

b) There is a way to get an official CarPlay activation from BMW, albeit at a significant cost.

Also, having looked at the BimmerTech site FAQ more carefully, it mentions the possibility of needing to re-enable CarPlay following an iDrive update. This suggests that, despite the price, the BimmerTech activation isn't an official one.

So, a few questions:

1) Has anyone used the BimmerTech CarPlay activation? Do you know if it's an official BMW activation, or if third party certificates are required? Have you had any issues after an iDrive firmware update?

2) Can anyone provide any details of how to get an official BMW CarPlay activation? I can't do so through Connected Drive because my vehicle was manufactured without the WiFi antenna (which I'll be fitting myself).

Many thanks,

Chris.
Why can't you activate CarPlay natively on your idrive? Things have changed a bit in coding. If you have the right equipment you can activate CarPlay with legit BMW codes from the factory that won't break idrive or anything else.

You will need WiFi or the ability for it and you will need enhanced Bluetooth. I'm assuming you have ID6 with the 19'?
Appreciate 0