F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Millway Camber Plates
GetBMWParts

06-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #221
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Those with millway street plates, how are they so far? I find myself in need of more front camber but I don't want to compromise my ride comfort any more. Starting to toe the line on being too rough for a daily.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #222
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Those with millway street plates, how are they so far? I find myself in need of more front camber but I don't want to compromise my ride comfort any more. Starting to toe the line on being too rough for a daily.
I put the Millway street camber plates on two weeks ago and so far have no complaints. There is a bit more road noise but it's minimal. I got 1.9 degrees of camber out of my 340i xDrive, stock dampers and springs. The turn in is nicer than stock. I recommend them for those looking for some modest camber addition without the need to go with eccentric bushing or half-degree knuckles or extended control arms (not an option for xDrive unfortunately). The Millway is solidly built, has a quality feel to it, and is straight forward to setup. I picked it over competitors mainly because it focuses exclusively on camber (I believe the Dinan has both camber and caster making it more complex plate) and there were few, if any complaints of clanking sounds reported for monoball designs. To be fair though, not all competitors are targeting a street-use audience but more a track-focused customer. The Millway street is definitely for the street customer who enjoys a spirited drive with occasional track use. For many drivers with camber plates on the track I drive at, they target 3-3.5 so at 1.9 the front shoulders of my tires are still getting murdered but at a slower rate. It much better than stock in my opinion and I'm not seeking to redefine the drive feel for my car. The Millway Street plates seem to make my BMW more like the BMW it should have been from the factory.

My only question would be is there a way to somehow affix some sort of sound ablation material to the strut tower covers to help cut the added noise a bit??

Last edited by casualDIYer; 06-29-2021 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:27 AM   #223
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
My only question would be is there a way to somehow affix some sort of sound ablation material to the strut tower covers to help cut the added noise a bit??
Why not take a thin sheet of dense rubber, and cut it to size to fit where the camber plate touches the car. should provide a little sound protection and not cause any issues
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #224
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFanatic View Post
Quote:
Why not take a thin sheet of dense rubber, and cut it to size to fit where the camber plate touches the car. should provide a little sound protection and not cause any issues
You would need to ensure your strut tower bolts are long enough to get enough threads to hold the assembly.

Some of us get M4 strut tower bolts to account for the ~5mm height of a strut tower bar. So those may be an option if you add this rubber gasket.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #225
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
I thought about a similar idea. Trying to figure out if there is way to create a plug for the strut tower hole that some how blocks noise a bit while at the same time allowing me the option to take off the plug any time I needed to adjust the camber plate. Of course the strut nut and bolt protrude above the plate so I'd need to hollow out part of the plug to allow that to fit.

Be great if there was a way to make a cast of the assembly and build a mold from that. Just thinking how many ways that idea could go awry.
      07-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #226
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

After doing my Millways, I am curious if there would be an issue if the alignment tech torqued the bolts to the wrong amount of torque and in the wrong order. I haven't noticed a problem but I'm pretty sure he just torqued the bolts to a value just short of welding the bolts in place and in any order he chose.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 07-02-2021 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #227
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Is anyone using their Millways camber plates with KW StreetComfort Coilovers? I've heard that the KWs only work with the OE top hats. Reached out to Millway a couple of days ago but no answer yet.
      07-08-2021, 10:11 PM   #228
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is anyone using their Millways camber plates with KW StreetComfort Coilovers? I've heard that the KWs only work with the OE top hats. Reached out to Millway a couple of days ago but no answer yet.
It can be used with oe type springs (of wish the KW are), or 60 mm ID springs (aka afrermarket springs/coilovers).
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:17 PM   #229
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
It can be used with oe type springs (of wish the KW are), or 60 mm ID springs (aka afrermarket springs/coilovers).
Whew! That's great news. I'm currently running the suspension gauntlet of over-information, balancing rumour with experience and published facts. The number of 'concerned members' who believe the lowering of an x-drive car by even a millimetre will bring about the total destruction of the world as we know it is a bit surprising. God forbid even for a moment I consider changing the ride height of my 21st century car, which currently sits at a height close to that of the horse drawn carriages of 18th century German royalty.

If I end up going lowering springs with struts I promise not to throw off magnetic north. Really.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 07-11-2021 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
Logicoeur989.50
Jvac432.00
      07-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #230
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Just heard mine are shipping tomorrow or Thursday. As always, Samuel & Millway come through.

Can't wait to get these on.

FaRKle! Thanks again for extending a hand!
Finally got the Street conversion kit installed on my plates. Immediate impressions are overwhelmingly positive. Tire and suspension noise is substantially reduced without any meaningful loss of communication.

I am really quite impressed. For those considering the Street option over the standard monoballs, do not hesitate.

Edit: I checked Millway's site today and it looks like all of their camber plates are getting updated to a new version at the end of August... kinda wished I waited to see what exactly was changed.
Attached Images

328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i

Last edited by MacklinUSOB; 07-15-2021 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #231
nadefade
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

Got mine on as well and really can't tell the difference between the OE top hats in regards to NVH. Very pleased overall, but fomo is definitely setting in now seeing that updated version haha
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:10 PM   #232
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadefade View Post
Got mine on as well and really can't tell the difference between the OE top hats in regards to NVH. Very pleased overall, but fomo is definitely setting in now seeing that updated version haha
What did you pair them with for suspension?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #233
nadefade
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Quote:
What did you pair them with for suspension?
ST XA
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #234
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Finally got the Street conversion kit installed on my plates. Immediate impressions are overwhelmingly positive. Tire and suspension noise is substantially reduced without any meaningful loss of communication.

I am really quite impressed. For those considering the Street option over the standard monoballs, do not hesitate.

Edit: I checked Millway's site today and it looks like all of their camber plates are getting updated to a new version at the end of August... kinda wished I waited to see what exactly was changed.
Same. My camber plates are still sitting unopened in the shipping box.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 06:36 AM   #235
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Mine are still noise free
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 11:23 AM   #236
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Anyone have their original top mounts they'd be willing to part with or take some measurements from? I'm a little concerned about where the strut shaft gets located relative to stock- it appears to take some travel out of the shaft which would be exacerbated on a lowered car but I want to be sure and I don't have my car apart yet. If it does end up being a thing, I'd like to get the new top mount I designed machined so I can install that instead of the original millway part since it moves the shaft up about 20mm relative to the original.

Quote:
Compression set, that's why.

The rubber will eventually fail to return to its original thickness when you relieve pressure and the tension you put into the bolts when you torqued them will no longer be there.

You would need to use patch bolts or loctite to prevent the bolts backing out, and even then the compression set would begin to allow relative movement of the strut plate to the chassis as time goes on and would likely make more noise than just bolting it solid.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #237
Samuel Lindkvist
Rep
Drives: M3E46,M2CS,330iG20,X3G01

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys. I just want to shime in with some information about the ”updated version”. I’ve heard that many waiting to order until the “new version” arrive.
Don’t worry guys. I just hate when I buy something and then realized I bought an outdated version. So we shipped out the updated version long time before we announced it. (Around 20 June). So chances is you already have the updated version. So what are the changes?

1. Studs and nuts instead of bolt.
2. Added more preload to the pu-discs from 1mm to 1.5mm.
3. Centre washer got some minor dimension change.

So how to check if you have the updated version?
1. You got studs and nuts in the box.
2. Center part is marked 27.8

Let me know if you have any questions.
Best Regards
Appreciate 3
Polo088161610.00
kern4174446.50
      09-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #238
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Lindkvist View Post
Hi guys. I just want to shime in with some information about the ”updated version”. I’ve heard that many waiting to order until the “new version” arrive.
Don’t worry guys. I just hate when I buy something and then realized I bought an outdated version. So we shipped out the updated version long time before we announced it. (Around 20 June). So chances is you already have the updated version. So what are the changes?

Best Regards
Would you mind giving us some insight into how these design changes came about? Can we purchase the updated PU and center washer parts for our older versions?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 06:54 PM   #239
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Best Regards
I'll have to check! Mine shipped on June 28 and I haven't even opened the box yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:21 PM   #240
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:

Best Regards
Is there any concern for people with strut bars and stud height/length? Or how long are the studs?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #241
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Best Regards
Got mine today, what is the correct procedure to torque the studs in? Do I just use the two nuts included and lock them together, then torque that to spec?
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0