F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > n55 blown turbo
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #1
satta535i
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2013 c63, 2016 535i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

n55 blown turbo

i have n55 under cpo warrenty with 58k miles and my turbo blew im fbo with bm2 stage 2 i flashed the car stock and locked the dme you think bmw will replace my turbo under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:40 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Captain
305
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Did you also remove all of your mods and reinstall the stock parts? If not, there is pretty much no chance.

Even if you do, there is still a possibility they will detect that you had been tuned, depending on how much they investigate due to the cost.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:43 PM   #3
satta535i
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2013 c63, 2016 535i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Did you also remove all of your mods and reinstall the stock parts? If not, there is pretty much no chance.

Even if you do, there is still a possibility they will detect that you had been tuned, depending on how much they investigate due to the cost.
it has a intercooler and straight pipes thats what they have seen, but last month they replaced my sparkplug because the tip broke off. i think the plug broke my turbo i only put a couple hundred miles since
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Captain
305
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
it has a intercooler and straight pipes thats what they have seen, but last month they replaced my sparkplug because the tip broke off. i think the plug broke my turbo i only put a couple hundred miles since
Well, your chances are greatest if you revert everything back to stock. The higher the $ amount of the warranty, the more they are going to investigate and looks for reasons not to cover. Each dealer is different.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161161.00

      Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
1161
Rep
3,242
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Worst case:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-11657648913
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #6
satta535i
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2013 c63, 2016 535i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
it has a intercooler and straight pipes thats what they have seen, but last month they replaced my sparkplug because the tip broke off. i think the plug broke my turbo i only put a couple hundred miles since
Well, your chances are greatest if you revert everything back to stock. The higher the $ amount of the warranty, the more they are going to investigate and looks for reasons not to cover. Each dealer is different.
its at the dealer i had to get it towed as there was huge clouds of white smoke and the dealer told me its on bmw if there going to cover it
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #7
davidr3
Private
20
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Riverside

iTrader: (1)

Doubt it, a turbo blowing at 58k is weird. They'll definitely investigate and nobody now a days is oblivious to tuning. The intercooler is a huge giveaway for stage 2 as well. I hope they turn a blind eye OP but beyond that good luck.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Captain
305
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
its at the dealer i had to get it towed as there was huge clouds of white smoke and the dealer told me its on bmw if there going to cover it
You might be screwed then. BMW is going to investigate more than just a dealer would for a minor warranty item.

If it was me, i would have towed it home with AAA, removed all my mods, then had it towed to the dealer. Too late now though it seems.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #9
satta535i
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2013 c63, 2016 535i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

if bmw doesn't warrenty the turbo should i go for a stage one turbo its the same price as a stock turbo or should i pony up the money for stage 2? i wont be getting a hpfp tho.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Captain
305
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
if bmw doesn't warrenty the turbo should i go for a stage one turbo its the same price as a stock turbo or should i pony up the money for stage 2? i wont be getting a hpfp tho.
My understanding is that pure stage 1 is very similar to EWG that comes stock.
Appreciate 1
harkes744.00

      Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #11
satta535i
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2013 c63, 2016 535i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
if bmw doesn't warrenty the turbo should i go for a stage one turbo its the same price as a stock turbo or should i pony up the money for stage 2? i wont be getting a hpfp tho.
My understanding is that pure stage 1 is very similar to EWG that comes stock.
i heard it nets 30/40whp more on ewg and u get power to redline i could be wrong tho
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:36 PM   #12
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
164
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Saskatchewan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
if bmw doesn't warrenty the turbo should i go for a stage one turbo its the same price as a stock turbo or should i pony up the money for stage 2? i wont be getting a hpfp tho.
My understanding is that pure stage 1 is very similar to EWG that comes stock.
i heard it nets 30/40whp more on ewg and u get power to redline i could be wrong tho
That is true... for pwg.
__________________
2013 F30 335i xDrive M-Sport 6MT (FBO/BM3 custom tune by HCP, 91 oct)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #13
pongkin
Private First Class
66
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: f30
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: mia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
its at the dealer i had to get it towed as there was huge clouds of white smoke and the dealer told me its on bmw if there going to cover it
are they sure its the turbo, have they checked injectors? smoke smells.like gas?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #14
satta535i
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2013 c63, 2016 535i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pongkin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
its at the dealer i had to get it towed as there was huge clouds of white smoke and the dealer told me its on bmw if there going to cover it
are they sure its the turbo, have they checked injectors? smoke smells.like gas?
2 turbines broke of the turbo
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #15
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
744
Rep
1,750
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
i heard it nets 30/40whp more on ewg and u get power to redline i could be wrong tho
Power to redline is such a misunderstanding. ALL turbos can deliver power to redline - also the stock PWG if you just dont run more than ~12psi. The Pure Stage1 can deliver max 17psi - to redline. And the Pure Stage2 around 23psi. "Power to redline" has nothing to do with the turbo itself but how the car is tuned.

A bit of a rant - but I am so fed up with this term that very few seem to comprehend
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #16
AmuroRay
Second Lieutenant
61
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Power to redline is such a misunderstanding. ALL turbos can deliver power to redline - also the stock PWG if you just dont run more than ~12psi. The Pure Stage1 can deliver max 17psi - to redline. And the Pure Stage2 around 23psi. "Power to redline" has nothing to do with the turbo itself but how the car is tuned.

A bit of a rant - but I am so fed up with this term that very few seem to comprehend
No, thatís not true. A stick turbo PWG isnít making more that 300whp at redline, pump, splash of E85, interstate 85, it doesnít matter. The turbo canít produce enough boost to create a linear power curve.

Prove me wrong
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #17
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
744
Rep
1,750
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
No, that’s not true. A stick turbo PWG isn’t making more that 300whp at redline, pump, splash of E85, interstate 85, it doesn’t matter. The turbo can’t produce enough boost to create a linear power curve.

Prove me wrong
So you are one of the people that dont get it... Power to redline is not about power numbers but about torque not falling on its face above 5-6k rpm when we talk about the N55. The stock turbo can easily deliver this if you remove torque/load in the middle of the power band. The Pure Stage2 will also not deliver "power to redline" if you run it at 30psi which it can only deliver below 5k rpm. Then it will also feel like that is dying in high rpm as it can only deliver 23psi there.
I cannot tune my own car and I dont run stock turbo so I cannot prove it to you but this is common turbo knowledge.

If you talk about delivering a specific amount of hp to redline then that is another subject
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 1
oma3710127.50

      Today, 12:28 AM   #18
romemedrano
Private First Class
46
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: BMW F30
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

If it goes to TSARA And they asked for the FASTA data you'll be screwed.

I'm a dealer tech, depending on how the tech works the angle goes as far as how this will warranty will play out.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:25 AM   #19
satta535i
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2013 c63, 2016 535i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemedrano View Post
If it goes to TSARA And they asked for the FASTA data you'll be screwed.

I'm a dealer tech, depending on how the tech works the angle goes as far as how this will warranty will play out.
the reason why the turbo failed was because the tip of my sparkplug broke in the cylinder so they might cover it. they replaced the plug a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:28 AM   #20
AmuroRay
Second Lieutenant
61
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
So you are one of the people that dont get it... Power to redline is not about power numbers but about torque not falling on its face above 5-6k rpm when we talk about the N55. The stock turbo can easily deliver this if you remove torque/load in the middle of the power band. The Pure Stage2 will also not deliver "power to redline" if you run it at 30psi which it can only deliver below 5k rpm. Then it will also feel like that is dying in high rpm as it can only deliver 23psi there.
I cannot tune my own car and I dont run stock turbo so I cannot prove it to you but this is common turbo knowledge.

If you talk about delivering a specific amount of hp to redline then that is another subject
The pure stage 2 WILL and DOES deliver power to redline.
Iím not sure you understand what people are talking about when they are talking about a linear power band.

Stock turbo PWG - FBO and with E85



https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343126

Pure stage 2


https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408986

Note how the pure car continues to make power and maintain most of it until redline. You just canít do that with a stock turbo.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:09 AM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11270
Rep
123,523
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satta535i View Post
i have n55 under cpo warrenty with 58k miles and my turbo blew im fbo with bm2 stage 2 i flashed the car stock and locked the dme you think bmw will replace my turbo under warranty?
I got my turbos replaced under warranty on my N54
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST