F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > How to Correctly Code a Retrofitted NBT Evo for your car.
Studio RSR

11-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

How to Correctly Code a Retrofitted NBT Evo for your car.

So after many trial and error, I've finally got a procedure that works.

Please note, you need a set of FSC codes for your Vin as this process will kill the ones currently on the unit. I recommend gerry @ bmw nav codes who is very good for this.

1) Plug in the unit
2) Turn on ignition
3) Connect to esys via your VIN
4) open transmitter
5) run the readVIN job to get a copy of your VIN, and the donor NBT's Vin for future reference. The NBT's VIN will be the odd one out, and under the line starting 63->
6) Open FSC extended, connect to 0x63 and press identify
7) Add the WriteVIN job to the list. It will ask you to enter a vin. enter your cars Vin.
8) Press start, to update the VIN on the NBT to your cars
9) Go to coding
10) Ensure you have a correct FA for the options you need (609 etc).
11) Activate the FA
12) Read ECU, NOT SVT
13) Right Click the HU_NBT2 and hit Code. If Code is not available, then inject the latest available CAF file.

Here is the gotcha - it's tempting to do an SVT calculation like you normally would. But if you do this step, then the actual and targets misalign and the coding will fail.
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Is everything working? What other hardware did you get? I heard that NBT Evo units doesn't have GPS built in!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Awesome job
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Is everything working? What other hardware did you get? I heard that NBT Evo units doesn't have GPS built in!
Everything is working yes, and managed to install 2018-4 EVO maps as well afterwards.

It does it through either the ethernet or DAB radio. when i coded it, I didn't have the DAB attached as those connections are a PITA, and the unit was showing me about 200 miles from where i was. I plugged the DAB in, drove round the block and it picked up my location.

Another important thing to note. ***DO NOT*** go onto connected-drive and hit update services. If you do, about 10 minutes later your navigation greys out and I had to re-install the USB flasher for the FSC codes. I got lucky here in that it hadn't stopped the usb working, but i've heard from others on a newer i-step that the work around has been disabled.

Also - update your i-step on a retro unit in your car at your own risk. I managed to brick my origina ID4l HU trying to upgrade the i-step (blue screen), which is why I ended up getting an ID6 one. Thankfully, I managed to find a lovely chap who used to be on these parts has managed to repair my original head unit for me (had to open it up & replace physical hardware)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #5
spawnywhippet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5e. 2014 i3 REX

Coding rest of vehicle to accept retrofitted NBT EVO

I have installed a retrofit NBT EVO/ZBE/touchscreen (upgraded from a NBT system) in my 2016 F15, bought pre-coded by a ebay seller in Eastern Europe.

I have e-sys errors for the NBT EVO and ZBE being uncoded, and my BimmerCode app no longer connects to the head unit.

How do I code the rest of the car to recognize the updated components? I have full functionality of Carplay and Nav, but DTCs about the vehicle not being coded. (I am trying to code in some extra head unit function with Bimmercode.)

e-sys shows both the old and new HU and old/new ZBE, old ones in red target state and the new ones in blue actual state.
      12-21-2022, 04:27 AM   #6
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Bimmercode won't connect because the CAF/FSC's file in the Headunit are not OEM - bimmercode is a shit tool, if you want to code the headunit, you need a token solution or similar for esys.

The ZBE can be coded to your car, that is not hard, inject a CAF into it in esys and hit code.

Don't worry about the SVT tree (list of ECU's) in esys - the car thinks it has different hardware fitted.

If the car is working and there are no errors in the Kombi or in the idrive screen, ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 08:11 AM   #7
boldorider4
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i F22

Question Retrofitting NBT-Evo from ENTRYNAV

Hi all,

Thanks a lot in advance for reading.

Here's a very quarky project I'd like to embark on:
I have a 2015 F22 (pre-facelift, Typschlüssel 1J11) equipped with an ENTRYNAV head unit.

I'd like to retrofit an NBT Evo ID6 and flash/code all that needs to be flashed/coded. I'm not so concerned with feature unlocking through FSC codes at the moment, as I'd like to figure out the basic steps to get the HU to work at all first.

I will get a used NBT Evo ID6 unit, so VIN will not match my car at first. Display and iDrive controller will also be changed to match donor HU.

*Please note that I have the Connected Drive option on my original ENTRYNAV. This may mean that my car is equipped with an ATM unit.* Not sure if this complicates the coding further if I want to retain the Connected Drive functionality.

Here's the steps I've figured out so far:

1. *** First and foremost ***

1.a Install E-Sys with compatible PSdzData

2. *** non-mandatory - Backup as much as possible from current HU_ENTRYNAV ***

2.a Connect to target via *current* VIN
2.b Go to Expert mode --> Coding
2.c In the Vehicle Order section (top-left) click on Read
2.d Right click on FA --> Activate FA
2.e Save it (just in case something goes wrong later)
2.f In the SVT-Actual (SVT-Ist, mid-right) section click on Read ECU
2.g Save SVT-Actual (just in case something goes wrong later)

3. *** Now onto the new HU_NBTEvo, after its successful retrofit installation ***

3.a Connect to target via *donor* VIN
3.b Go to Expert mode --> Coding
3.c In the Vehicle Order section (top-left) click on Read
3.d Right click on FA --> Activate FA
3.e In the SVT-Actual (SVT-Ist, mid-right) section click on Read ECU
**** non-mandatory steps ****
3.f Save FA from 3.c (just in case something goes wrong later)
3.g Save SVT-Actual from 3.e (just in case something goes wrong later)
**** end of non-mandatory steps ****

Here the part I'm not so sure about:

4. *** Writing current VIN to donor HU ***

4.a Go to Expert mode --> FSC Extended
4.b Click on Identify
4.c Add WriteVIN to job list and write *current* VIN (the original one the car came with, not the donor one)
4.d Click on Start
4.e Go to Expert mode --> Coding
4.f FA should already be activated from 3.d
4.g SVT should already have been read in 3.e
4.h From SVT-tree in mid-center view search for NBT_HU --> right click --> Code

5. *** existential questions ***
5.a Can someone explain what exactly is a CAFD? Is it like a binary that gets downloaded to a specific ECU?
5.b Instead of step 4.h should I load a CAFD file and code it to the NBT_HU?
5.c Where do I get this CAFD file from?
5.d Should I "calculate" the CAFD in the SVT-Target section?

6. *** FSC code installation ***
But to my best understanding I may have to worry about this at the in order to get the features I want (Maps, Fullscreen Carplay, ConnectedDrive, etc.).
But I'm trying to get the donor HU to work first even without such features. One step at a time.

These are many questions, I know, but it's so difficult to get this information as a newbie by scouting the web.
Any help is soooo appreciated!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 04:01 PM   #8
zae.clover
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramparts View Post
So after many trial and error, I've finally got a procedure that works.

Please note, you need a set of FSC codes for your Vin as this process will kill the ones currently on the unit. I recommend gerry @ bmw nav codes who is very good for this.

1) Plug in the unit
2) Turn on ignition
3) Connect to esys via your VIN
4) open transmitter
5) run the readVIN job to get a copy of your VIN, and the donor NBT's Vin for future reference. The NBT's VIN will be the odd one out, and under the line starting 63->
6) Open FSC extended, connect to 0x63 and press identify
7) Add the WriteVIN job to the list. It will ask you to enter a vin. enter your cars Vin.
8) Press start, to update the VIN on the NBT to your cars
9) Go to coding
10) Ensure you have a correct FA for the options you need (609 etc).
11) Activate the FA
12) Read ECU, NOT SVT
13) Right Click the HU_NBT2 and hit Code. If Code is not available, then inject the latest available CAF file.

Here is the gotcha - it's tempting to do an SVT calculation like you normally would. But if you do this step, then the actual and targets misalign and the coding will fail.
Yo bro imma need ya help on this one! Like ASAP plz fam
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 07:18 AM   #9
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

I can help you if you need assistance
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 12:28 AM   #10
F20FAN_283
Rep
Drives: F20 120i

Can someone help with getting FSC codes for me? I am upgrading my head unit ,screen and controller from ID 4 to ID 6.
My car is a 2016/03 F20.
Im planing to use E-sys. I tried with ista+ but it asked me to import some (Enabeling codes) i did not know where to go further with that..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 12:32 AM   #11
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F20FAN_283 View Post
Can someone help with getting FSC codes for me? I am upgrading my head unit ,screen and controller from ID 4 to ID 6.
My car is a 2016/03 F20.
Im planing to use E-sys. I tried with ista+ but it asked me to import some (Enabeling codes) i did not know where to go further with that..
PM sent.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 02:21 AM   #12
Maxfusion
Rep
Drives: 320I XDrive

Can we do smthn with retrofitted NBT EVO to allow coding through Bimmercode instead of E-sys?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 08:16 AM   #13
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfusion View Post
Can we do smthn with retrofitted NBT EVO to allow coding through Bimmercode instead of E-sys?
Need to ask BimmerCode Developer.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0