F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
ARMA SPEED

01-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #2179
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
It does actually.
If you unlock your car ,get in and press volume knob sound will come and screen will light up in the OEM system.
When android head unit is installed, music will play but screen will not light up and android will not boot when doing the same thing with volume knob.
And how do people boot the unit outside of their car? I know people tinker with the unit on their desk so I'm wondering how.

Edit: page 100
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #2180
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Which car and which year?
I have never tried that in 2004 E60 to confirm if that is happening in my car also.
This is on E87 6/2009 with M-ASK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
So it is CAN message dependent and looks like the OEM radio is broadcasting this message. I wonder, is there a way to code CCC/CIC etc. to power up as soon as you unlock the car and power down when you lock it?
Android waits for some kind of "key inserted" message and then powers up/down based on that (and it obviously has power prior to this). It doesn't lose the power, but has power long enough to shut down gracefully. This is also an aspect to consider when trying to change behavior.

If you have powered the unit on desk, how does it behave when you just cut the power?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:56 AM   #2181
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I was asking about CID, is there a way to code it so it will power up as soon as you unlock your car.

I'm just skimming through CAS module and looking what is available to code. There is section PA - Comfort access, funtion PA_MONITOR_ACTIVE with two options aktiv and nicht_acktiv but I'm not entirely sure what that is. I would need to plug in to OBD port as check what option is coded by default in my car. Maybe that is what we all are looking for.
In my backup FSW_PSW.TRC it is nicht active.
But i do not have comfort access and i am not sure if i can code it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:57 AM   #2182
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
This is on E87 6/2009 with M-ASK.

If you have powered the unit on bench, how does it behave when you just cut the power?
It shuts down immediately without delay.
Like you turn off the light by the wall switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:01 AM   #2183
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Perhaps we can achieve that be disconnecting CAN from head unit and connect CAN via CID.
In this case the unit will power up because it will detect can signal and power off when terminal 30g closes the circuit after 30 minutes.
But the screen will stay on for that time.

The appropriate way is to shut down the screen after you switch ignition off , light up screen when you press the volume knob in iDrive and stay alive for some time after .
the appropriate
Sorry it is not that simple. Like I explained before - it doesn't matter where in CAN network you have your module plugged in, if it is plugged in it will broadcast. So if you unplug Android's CAN cables from headunit's quadlock and plug that in CID connector, headunit will still broadcast the same message and it will reach the screen anyway. And you have to leave CAN connection in OEM headunit for it to function properly. CAN message consists of module identifier and message (among other things), so if CCC sends a message it would say: "hey CID this is CCC would you power up please", and it doesn't matter where it is located in CAN network. This message is visible to all modules, but because it contains CAN identifier only module with correct ID will answer/execute command.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:01 AM   #2184
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

https://mega.nz/#!kF5zDajb!bGe_vs0xn...krKaQ42JNU2Etg

This is how is the electrical system in my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:06 AM   #2185
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Sorry it is not that simple. Like I explained before - it doesn't matter where in CAN network you have your module plugged in, if it is plugged in it will broadcast. So if you unplug Android's CAN cables from headunit's quadlock and plug that in CID connector, headunit will still broadcast the same message and it will reach the screen anyway. And you have to leave CAN connection in OEM headunit for it to function properly. CAN message consists of module identifier and message (among other things), so if CCC sends a message it would say: "hey CID this is CCC would you power up please", and it doesn't matter where it is located in CAN network. This message is visible to all modules, but because it contains CAN identifier only module with correct ID will answer/execute command.

I understand .
So why android is not booting up although CCC gives power and is active?\
Perhaps because CID is missing?
Can we fake the system to believe that the CID is present so will light up and if lights up Android will boot up?

I wonder what will happen if i connect both screens , without LVDS cable in the OEM screen but only in Android.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:11 AM   #2186
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I understand .
So why android is not booting up although CCC gives power and is active?\
Perhaps because CID is missing?
Can we fake the system to believe that the CID is present so will light up and if lights up Android will boot up?
For the same reason that CID is not powering up as soon as you unlock your car. However your are right, once you press knob on your CCC / MAS-K a message to CID is sent to power up. Why this doesn't bring Android on, I don't know. I will have to check if I have the same behaviour as you.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:24 AM   #2187
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Owner View Post
And how do people boot the unit outside of their car? I know people tinker with the unit on their desk so I'm wondering how.

Edit: page 100
When only power is connected (no CAN) the Unit does boot up as soon as you put Power on it.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:26 AM   #2188
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Looks like I'll have a busy weekend. I need to check CID power behaviour with relation to CAS module, trace some some lines on Android PCB to check where CAN transceivers go to, try out 3.8.3 update, maybe play again with modding some apps, and I bought few microphone modules to try out with Android unit (noise cancelling, omni-directional and uni-directional). Will report back as soon as I learn something.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #2189
twoface
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
I've not rooted my device yet, so I use Tasker to run these steps to accomplish the same thing (fixing sound issue):
1. Start KswMedia app
2. Wait 500 ms
3. Press Back button 2x

When rooted, is it still necessary to wait x ms before killing the app? I'm hoping to avoid the music to play for half a second before closing.
As I updated FW to 3.8.0 I also noticed Navigation voice issues. I've used this workaround and it partially solved the problem. Voice directions are heard through aux, as I want to. But problem remains with voice warnings from navi. Eg. speed cameras or police warnings from Waze.

It's still trying to switch sound output for those warning, and its annoying. I would be happier if this "feature" could be completely disabled.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #2190
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
I checked the update in comparison to 3.8.0 , this version 3.8.3 is from 13th January 2020.
Code:
ro.build.display.id=Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v3.8.3
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.zlx.20200113.193155
ro.build.date=Mon Jan 13 19:31:58 CST 2020
ro.build.description=Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v3.8.3
ro.build.fingerprint=Android/msm8953_64/msm8953_64:9/PKQ1.190202.001/zlx01131931:userdebug/test-keys
The update is rather small, i only found 3 bmw related things (some Benz updates have also been done).
No Updates to the factory_config.xml

Update/Bugfix:
Bluetooth Stack Update, some kinde of Pause behaviour have been implemented and some more code changes.
EDIT: Feature: AUX switching does Stay at AUX-in when switching to OEM GUI (when manual Aux switching is selected, detailes here )
Feature ? : new code so the MCU itself seems to is now able to reboot the Bluetooth module.
Feature: Widevine DRM has been implemented, so it seems that they again listened to our requests

however, at least on my machine Netflix does still not work, i now do get an Error (-13).
Maybe a full factory reset installation will help, but i can`t test at the moment as i`m not at home.

Kri

Last edited by Kri; 01-20-2020 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 2
RedErik1023.50
      01-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #2191
delarosa13
Rep
Drives: F48

Hi friends, I have been reading you for several weeks, and now, since I have received my Android 9 screen 4+64 from NAVIODM+fakra C "Y adapter" (for the GPS)+front and rear wireless cameras, I am going to proceed to install it, so thank you for sharing all your knowledgement.

But, before installing all the things, I have some questions:

-Where is the best place to locate the provided microphone?
-Is it correct to take the +12V cable from the rear light to power the rear camera and wireless transmitter?
-The front camera is going to be located under the plate, so I need to know where the hell do I take the +12V for the camera and the wireless transmitter
-Where do I connect the front camera? DVR input?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #2192
lehtee
Private
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by delarosa13 View Post
Hi friends, I have been reading you for several weeks, and now, since I have received my Android 9 screen 4+64 from NAVIODM+fakra C "Y adapter" (for the GPS)+front and rear wireless cameras, I am going to proceed to install it, so thank you for sharing all your knowledgement.

But, before installing all the things, I have some questions:

-Where is the best place to locate the provided microphone?
-Is it correct to take the +12V cable from the rear light to power the rear camera and wireless transmitter?
-The front camera is going to be located under the plate, so I need to know where the hell do I take the +12V for the camera and the wireless transmitter
-Where do I connect the front camera? DVR input?

Thank you in advance for your help!
For rear camera reversing light is not constant 12v. I think u should use a relay,get power from constant 12v source in your trunk and make the relay trigger from reverse light. Thats what I did and works good.

I ordered front camera too but seems too complicated so I CBA to install it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #2193
Pondaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtee View Post
For rear camera reversing light is not constant 12v. I think u should use a relay,get power from constant 12v source in your trunk and make the relay trigger from reverse light. Thats what I did and works good.

I ordered front camera too but seems too complicated so I CBA to install it.
Another option is routing it through the android head unit if it has the reverse 12V trigger. However, if you want the camera always available to look at it, then this would not work as the 12V are only triggered with the reverse gear. I'm considering buying a better backup camera with fish eye lens and I'll hook it up to a constant 12V to have it always available. Depending on the camera's specifications, I may need to route my own wire to the battery instead of hooking it up to an existent wire.

In regards to the front camera, I bought this one and it had a wire for the constant 12V and another one for the trigger to start recording. I believe I added the constant 12V from the cigarette lighter that I never use (copilot feet) and the trigger may have been from the headunit as it had a leftover wire that I wasn't using and turned on/off with ignition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endursa View Post
fro that to work you need to resign the apk after modification. Also your unit needs to be rooted, so you can remove the original apk from /system/app (or /system/priv-app, not sure where it is placed) and then you can use a modified version.
I checked again today and the bluetooth apk I modded is a system app. No issues with Lucky Patcher installing the modded app over the original. I'm running Android 8.1, but it should be the same concept.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #2194
Kostisuk
Rep
Drives: Bmw e64

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman5705 View Post
Disconnect the cable which plugs in AUX connector. Remove connector and you will see original cable from HU. Un-plug it .

You mean remove the aux connector in the armrest ? Disassemble it and remove the cable in the aux in the armrest ? But will this solve ? It will improve the sound quality ?

My problem is that when i hear music from oem side either spotify from my phone through aux conencted with my phone or radio the sound quality is very good. When i hear from the spotify app installed in the android side sound quality is much much worse no matter how i change the three equalizer settings.

So if i remove aux from armrest how will this improve sound quality ?

(Android 9, snap unit)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:35 PM   #2195
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

automate the startup of navigation + music (split screen)?

anyone figured out how to automate the startup of navigation + music (split screen)? and ideally make it 66/33% ratio vs 50/50?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:51 AM   #2196
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostisuk View Post
You mean remove the aux connector in the armrest ? Disassemble it and remove the cable in the aux in the armrest ? But will this solve ? It will improve the sound quality ?

My problem is that when i hear music from oem side either spotify from my phone through aux conencted with my phone or radio the sound quality is very good. When i hear from the spotify app installed in the android side sound quality is much much worse no matter how i change the three equalizer settings.

So if i remove aux from armrest how will this improve sound quality ?

(Android 9, snap unit)
Just try - for many has a good result , me included . BMW Aux uses a filtering which worsens the sound quality in our scenario . It does not match the sound output of Android HU. Disconnecting this will make sound more clear .
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:58 AM   #2197
mattmanslim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman5705 View Post
Just try - for many has a good result , me included . BMW Aux uses a filtering which worsens the sound quality in our scenario . It does not match the sound output of Android HU. Disconnecting this will make sound more clear .

Change the aux input volume level on the BMW OEM side and make sure that the audio level on the Android side is set to around 24.

The sound quality is poor when the aux input is overloaded. Reduce input sensitivity and android output level. Simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:06 AM   #2198
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostisuk View Post
If you have combox, expect huge improvements in sound quality. Read discussion here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post25311576
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #2199
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
I experience tremendous boosted bass and some treble after this 3.8.3 upgrade, had to turn bass down to half to to get the same as before. Anyone else have this?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #2200
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertiger View Post
Thanks.
Could you also confirm, that CAN1 and CAN2 cables go to different ends of quadlock adapter?
I did try to trace these lines but just can't see where they're going, sorry. As for harness itself... it is all tucked away and wrapped in cloth tape. I'm sorry but this is major pain in the backside for me to check now. I will be wiring up a reverse camera in the near future so maybe then I will be able to check. For now, I just spent to much time trying to neatly put this all together.

Quote:
In my backup FSW_PSW.TRC it is nicht active.
But i do not have comfort access and i am not sure if i can code it.
PA_MONITOR_ACTIVE is not an option in CAS2.C05 at all so I couldn't try it out. Maybe someone with newer version of CAS can check that. Also pressing volume/power knob on CCC when key is not present, doesn't do anything in my case - no screen, no sound, nothing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0