F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Good performance upgrades?
Studio RSR

12-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
dlshogren
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i M-Sport

Good performance upgrades?

I have a 2015 428 Msport with most if not all factory packages. I have never modded a car and I do not know much about good brands and am also open to suggestions for mods. I’m looking to upgrade my car in some subtle ways that improve the car while not going crazy. So I’m thinking maybe lowering slightly, upgrading the exhaust, maybe a different spoiler (including front splitter). Suggestions on where to start are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I would start by looking at Dinan. Here is their information for your BMW: https://www.dinancars.com/products/?...bodytype=Coupe

Another location to look is IND Distribution: https://ind-distribution.com/collect...series-f32-f33
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I would start with tires. The unsexiest and most overlooked mod by hard parkers.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
      12-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

You are opening Pandora's Box here. There are as many different ideas as there are car guys. Easy stuff is exhaust, tires and rims and suspension....intake, tune and then the list goes on. Have fun.....
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      12-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlshogren View Post
I have a 2015 428 Msport with most if not all factory packages. I have never modded a car and I do not know much about good brands and am also open to suggestions for mods. I’m looking to upgrade my car in some subtle ways that improve the car while not going crazy. So I’m thinking maybe lowering slightly, upgrading the exhaust, maybe a different spoiler (including front splitter). Suggestions on where to start are welcome.
Please check our website, we offer hundreds of products for your car.

REMUS is my favorite exhaust. its the most balance with a deep and aggressive sound without being obnoxious. Also no drone.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 03:37 AM   #6
prkr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I would start by looking at Dinan. Here is their information for your BMW: https://www.dinancars.com/products/?...bodytype=Coupe

Another location to look is IND Distribution: https://ind-distribution.com/collect...series-f32-f33
Don't start w/ dinan, unless you're trying to maintain a factory warranty

Catless downpipe (most of us go with VRSF) and an intercooler paired with bootmod3 stage 2 will get you where you need to be
      12-31-2019, 08:17 AM   #7
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Dinan doesnt maintain the factory warranty and the Dinan warranty, you're referring to, exists only during the OEM warranty period, which has expired since the OP vehicle is a 2015.
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

2015 car out of warranty... time to mod

1. BM3 just S1 then so the transmission flash
2. Exhaust, MPE (mild) , remus (medium), awe (spicy)
3. Wheels and tires then lowered eibach pro/ b8

Lip and splitter will scrape when lowered.

That is very mild tune...more like a refresh of your car.

shout out to Mike.... he can help
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlshogren View Post
The sky is the limit with mods since there are literally thousands of combinations. On a forum you are going to get people who just shout out stuff that they like without really listening to you.

You've provided a couple of clues as to your initial priorities:

"some subtle ways that improve the car while not going crazy. So I'm thinking maybe lowering slightly, upgrading the exhaust, maybe a different spoiler (including front splitter)."

Sounds like you don't want to spend a lot and you want to start by improving exterior appearance and exhaust sound.

That's why Mike from X-PH suggested the REMUS exhaust. Mike is one of the best in the business at really listening, offering great suggestions that meet your needs and suggesting when something really doesn't fit with what you are trying to accomplish. He's never steered me wrong and he stopped me from doing stupid things a couple of times. Oh, and his prices are great too.

REMUS and AWE are the two axle back exhausts that I'd consider, just based on their sound and fitment quality. REMUS is high quality German made and probably less expensive than AWE. Avoid thinking that if replacing the exhaust is good, then also replacing the midpipe must be better. Often that adds horrible drone and makes it way too loud. Most people I know who have done the midpipe have put their stock midpipe back on.

Mike can price out exhaust options for you. You can order that today! If you aren't doing it yourself and you don't have a local exhaust shop that you trust, try seeing which independent BMW shops may be in your area on BimmerShops website.

When you talk about changing out front bumpers and adding splitters, that can get involved and expensive. Check out YouTube videos from Kies Motorsports. Bryan does a great job on his hundreds of videos and knows that stuff really well. Beware! It's so easy to buy something cheap that doesn't fit well at all.

Often guys who are interested in exterior aesthetics jump right into changing out wheels and tires which can also lead to expensive mistakes. What size wheels and tires do you have now and is that something that you are starting to think about? In Texas you don't have snow tires to worry about, but how are the roads where you normally drive? If you like your wheels you can still greatly enhance the handling, and sometimes the look, by upgrading the model and size of tire. Do you have RWD or xDrive?

Besides tires, another maintenance item that you can upgrade at replacement time are your brakes. It can be as simple as upgrading pads to Hawk 5.0 street pads (big improvement over stock), upgrading front rotors to StopTech drilled (for better bite & wet braking) or Zimmermann rotors (anti-rust coating), or upgrading to stainless brake lines (more solid pedal feel). Or you can go all out with bigger calipers and rotors for much more $$$.

I assume that you mentioned lowering for the look and not necessarily for the handling. Lowering opens a plethora of suspension options and a lot more questions to narrow down what would be best for you. Be careful not to just take anyone's advice on suspension mods.

How long have you had this car? Mileage? Is this your daily driver, family car, long commute car and/or weekend track car?

Besides the exhaust, the other mod that I recommend you do right now is BootMod3. It will make your car so much more powerful and responsive. There's no real downside. It's a flash tune that you can install in your garage or driveway right from your laptop in 20 minutes. It's has a free automatic transmission tune that comes with it that takes another five minutes to install.

On your stock car, you can install the Stage1 tune in either 91 octane or 93 octane depending on gas quality in your area. You don't need any hardware upgrades to install Stage1. You can buy it from Mike at X-PH. He includes the cable that you'll need to plug your laptop Ethernet port into your car's OBD port under the dash.

Hope this helps! I was a newbie two years ago and many people on this forum helped me out. Trying to pay it back!
Appreciate 3
      12-31-2019, 11:10 PM   #10
Phiwee
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

I ran jb4, Downpipe, FMIC, exhaust and the car get super strong.
Selling all of them if you need
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 05:16 AM   #11
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

I'll go with upgrading the audio system first. Make long journey more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Switch to goflat tires and upgrade audio system then some sort of tune to start.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #13
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

What is wrong with the Audio?

Once you get an exhaust, there no audio that sound great with the exhaust as background.
Appreciate 0