F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
GetBMWParts

11-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #969
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Interesting. I have USB only in armrest. Is there a splitter available so I can use existing USB for both OEM and Android ?
I don't think it can exists at all. I suggest you leave the armrest as it is and then hook two others usb to the headunit (using the adaptors found by QUiKSR20, not my diy procedure). To install the usb near the lighter could be necessary to change che whole cupholder module, it depends on your car (not that easy, but I just wanted the one with the slider so it was two birds with one stone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
[...]

1 - Buy a generic usb port on Amazon and cut a small hole hidden in the glove box ( cheaper and easier, Not exactly what I wanted )

2 - Heavily modding a stock port like you did knowing it will cost me more and I may end up just wasting alot of money and not be successful.

[...]
yes, option 2 is more espensive and indeed your solution is the cleanest and cheaper Unfortunately I didn't found those magnificent adapters during my search
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #970
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

how to get google voice activation working system wide.

problem: "ok google" only working in google maps & assistant but not in dashboard.

problem source:
google app not installed as system app
inside the google app -> more settings -> voice -> voice match > "access with voice match" is greyed out and can not be toggled on.

solution: move app to system

requires root
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=740

adb connect IPort
adb root
adb connect IPort
adb remount
adb shell mv /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox* /system/priv-app/
adb reboot

enable voice match.

-> now you can use "ok google" everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly30 View Post
Insta boot after update: https://www.dropbox.com/s/006et3hc2j...11.38.mp4?dl=0

Unsure if under Developer options the Stay awake did that?
mine does not do that, it does a coldboot everytime. did you change any settings in the car settings? would you mind posting your mcu version string?
Appreciate 3
Kri1083.50
Movnmik14.50
      11-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #971
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakeh View Post
mine does not do that, it does a coldboot everytime. did you change any settings in the car settings? would you mind posting your mcu version string?
As mentioned previously I wasn't able to perform an MCU upgrade so I kept on with the one I have currently installed which is: 615043bALS-NBT-HW7-190525[B1280_170325]
I didn't have that fast boot prior to installing that new firmware px6-9.0_2019092901T. The only setting I changed was enabling "Stay Awake" in the Developer Settings under the Android Settings. I'm unsure if that did it, I can't even remember if I even had that option prior to the firmware upgrade.
Interesting to point out is: It cold boots if I shut down my car and return to it within 1-3 minutes. It fast boots only after longer sittings, which doesnt make sense to me I need to play around with it some more.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #972
marakeh
Private
Rep

stay awake should have nothing to do with it since its a native android setting and not related to the car communication.

very strange indeed, if you can reproduce the warm boot for some days please give a quick headsup, really interested about this.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:45 AM   #973
kcsmithcyril
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsmithcyril View Post
@QUiKSR20

Interesting...

Do you have photo on your Center Dash Stack with USB ? mine to share your photo ? you connected the Center Dash Stack USB to your CIC/NBT HU ?

kcsmithcyril
Hello,

I only opted to add USB ports to my glovebox and center console ( car had none and android unit only has two ).
But I did see some models of the F30/F32 had a center USB port we could add, I didnt need it but wanted to share
for others in case they wanted to add it. I wired mine directly to the Android Headunit with the custom cable I linked above.

Part # 51459393654

ohh noted, thanks for sharing, I though you did the mod, i fact, I'm in the middle to retrofit the center dash stack as doing some research on it, I notice if 2 din NBT, the USB socket cant fit, no enough space behind the center dash stack.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:55 AM   #974
RaceX58
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimes View Post
Evening RaceX58. Are you happy with your dimming app yet? I've been looking at ways to autodim my display at sunrise/sunset. I tried the twilight app but it doesn't seem to adjust the backlight of the display, it just seems to add an opacity layer washing out the content on the screen but still leaving its brightness high.

Please remind me, will your app need root to do the dimming?
Hey,

The app is working great for me. I'm using it everytime now. Also it doesn't require root.

BUT...

The main problem (and why I haven't released it yet) is that I'm using the steering wheel scroll wheel to adjust the dimming and switch day/night mode. And to use this button you have to make sure the default music player doesn't start at boot. When the music player starts at boot it enables the play/pause/next/previous music functions. So when you change the dimming it also change the music lol.

It can be problematic for most of the people.

The dimming can also be control using an Android intent so you can use it with Tasker or Automate.

I would like to find a solution for the controls so it can satisfy everyone..

Let me guys know if you have an idea.

RaceX58
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #975
RaceX58
Rep

Quote:
mine is fixed, had to use px6_reset.zip.

i sourced a new version for RK3399 px6-9.0_2019092901T.zip

can be found here:

https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/sha...gzVOHPXQMij3zv
Thanks for sharing.
I'm asking myself if we can upgrade an Android 8.1 device to Android 9 using a PX6 update..
Does someone have an information about it?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:41 AM   #976
marakeh
Private
Rep

should work, if it bricks just reflash your old 8.1 image (if you have it, if not get a compatible 8.1 image beforehand)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #977
RaceX58
Rep

Quote:
should work, if it bricks just reflash your old 8.1 image (if you have it, if not get a compatible 8.1 image beforehand)
I already have several Android 8.1 images. I'll give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #978
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsmithcyril View Post
ohh noted, thanks for sharing, I though you did the mod, i fact, I'm in the middle to retrofit the center dash stack as doing some research on it, I notice if 2 din NBT, the USB socket cant fit, no enough space behind the center dash stack.
I did the glove box and center console USB, The dash one I was just showing for others who may have not known it existed.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #979
Shrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Owner View Post
I literally quoted you on this page of the tread, mentioning that I wrote an extensive post on how to wire it in this same thread and that you can easily find it by looking at my post history

edit: I went and got the link for you, https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0#post25366670
Thank you very much but your style need me to get again cable from the rear through the whole car again which is something I would like to absolutely avoid due to the fact I have seats which are not dividable (had to get out whole rear seat as this is one unit).

My problem is just that sometimes camera turns on for a sec and goes off while driving. Normally a relay should do the trick but mine doesnt. Is there another solution maybe?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #980
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrazy View Post
Thank you very much but your style need me to get again cable from the rear through the whole car again which is something I would like to absolutely avoid due to the fact I have seats which are not dividable (had to get out whole rear seat as this is one unit).

My problem is just that sometimes camera turns on for a sec and goes off while driving. Normally a relay should do the trick but mine doesnt. Is there another solution maybe?
For the extra cable, you should be able to get power from the rear fusebox, there are some ACC circuits that provide power on ignition. I wouldn't advise to do so since I'm not sure how good these cameras handle constant power, but it is possible.

I used a voltage divider instead of a relay, cost me 2 resistors and some wire, pretty cheap, non mechanical and seems to keep on working without any issues. That is also explained in the original post by the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #981
marakeh
Private
Rep

try to remove the aux port in the armrest, just unplug the cable, no need for any permanent damage.

my unit is now stuck at the boot logo, anyone any idea how to recover (rk3399?)

already tried: usbkey with px6_format.zip & px6_reset.zip, unplug car battery

behavior:

1.system boots to bmw bootlogo
2. no signal after 60 seconds (retry?)
3. system again at bmw bootlogo
4. nothing happens (waited for atleast 15min)

Last edited by marakeh; 11-04-2019 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #982
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
try to remove the aux port in the armrest, just unplug the cable, no need for any permanent damage.

my unit is now stuck at the boot logo, anyone any idea how to recover (rk3399?)
Hey Marakeh,

Mentioned above I tried it for sh|ts n giglges made no diff, I didnt expect it to though cause I dont have a combox my 3.5mm connects direct to the headunit.

Hope you fix your issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #983
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
---- SOUND QUALITY QUESTION ( ive been doing car audio for quite some time ) ----

My configuration :
  • Car - 2013 F30 HK Audio L7 ENTRY ( Single Din / NO COMBOX )
  • Snapdragon Unit ( didnt need to run AUX, just connected the 3.5mms in the android harness into each other.

Playing the same tracks via Android & OEM HK Audio the Android sound doesn't have the depth / punch. It
sounds decent and most people prob wouldn't even hear much of a difference but in the upper volumes it gets
tinny for lack of a better word and seems to be missing some of the bass hit.

Im sure it will get better with fine tuning and this has been a hell of an upgrade to my 6.5" screen.

My questions are :

1 - Will removing this sound filter help like others have posted or is this only a PX6 thing?
If so do you just cut it out and connect the wires to each other ie yellow to yellow etc..

[ discussed here - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=507 ]

2 - Is there preferred "Android Volume like your AUX Volume on the OEM side" that should be set for optimal sound?

3 - Remove the wire from the AUX Plug *** DONT BELIEVE THIS Applies to me I dont have a combox, AUX goes right to head-unit ( tried anyway makes no diff ).

All in all this has been an awesome upgrade, I think a few tweaks and it could be great and its opened countless possibilities and options.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #984
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
how to get google voice activation working system wide.

problem: "ok google" only working in google maps & assistant but not in dashboard.

problem source:
google app not installed as system app
inside the google app -> more settings -> voice -> voice match > "access with voice match" is greyed out and can not be toggled on.

solution: move app to system

requires root
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=740

adb connect IPort
adb root
adb connect IPort
adb remount
adb shell mv /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox* /system/priv-app/
adb reboot

enable voice match.

-> now you can use "ok google" everywhere.
Thanks a lot for the guide! I'm a bit reluctant about rooting the system, maybe there is a way around this, like just using the default EX File Browser or something to move google to /system/priv-app/ unless this also doesn't have root write permission.

Quote:
I did run few tests, and wasn't able to get that instant boot when that option was turned off. However it was still booting quite quickly (like 10-15 seconds instead of 30)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #985
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
---- SOUND QUALITY QUESTION ( ive been doing car audio for quite some time ) ----

My configuration :
  • Car - 2013 F30 HK Audio L7 ENTRY ( Single Din / NO COMBOX )
  • Snapdragon Unit ( didnt need to run AUX, just connected the 3.5mms in the android harness into each other.

Playing the same tracks via Android & OEM HK Audio the Android sound doesn't have the depth / punch. It
sounds decent and most people prob wouldn't even hear much of a difference but in the upper volumes it gets
tinny for lack of a better word and seems to be missing some of the bass hit.

Im sure it will get better with fine tuning and this has been a hell of an upgrade to my 6.5" screen.

My questions are :

1 - Will removing this sound filter help like others have posted or is this only a PX6 thing?
If so do you just cut it out and connect the wires to each other ie yellow to yellow etc..

[ discussed here - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=507 ]

2 - Is there preferred "Android Volume like your AUX Volume on the OEM side" that should be set for optimal sound?

3 - Remove the wire from the AUX Plug *** DONT BELIEVE THIS Applies to me I dont have a combox, AUX goes right to head-unit ( tried anyway makes no diff ).

All in all this has been an awesome upgrade, I think a few tweaks and it could be great and its opened countless possibilities and options.
What I did with mine is reduce the Media volume from Android side from 40 - 30 but increase the AUX amp to +12 from your OEM. That should get rid of the overdrive from the Android DSP.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #986
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly30 View Post
What I did with mine is reduce the Media volume from Android side from 40 - 30 but increase the AUX amp to +12 from your OEM. That should get rid of the overdrive from the Android DSP.
Awesome thank you, Exactly the kinda tips / pointers I was looking for!!! Ill try this afternoon thanks..

** UPDATE - Changed OEM Volume to 2 ticks from full ( no numerical value ) and changed Android volume to 30 which
seems to have made a huge improvement when its up loud.

Just waiting now to hear back about that sound filter box, if thats still a spot for more improvement.

On a side note, We should make a wiki for all this stuff if lots of people are getting these head units. Would anyone have interest in this?
I could self host the wiki for all of us. That way we have a comprehensive list of must do options / settings per unit, host firmwares ( all versions in one spot labeled etc etc ).

I can put this together pretty quickly if you guys are interested, I cant populate all info but I could def host and create it.

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 11-04-2019 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #987
marakeh
Private
Rep

i think i bricked my unit with rooting.

last time i used

adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon&

instead of
adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon"&"

at least with the rk3399 i would strongly advice to use

adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon"&"

when following any rooting guide

i i can not get it to reflash trough usb ill have to unmount and see if i can get it to work through the otg connection :/
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #988
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
this could lead to a failed root, not to a bricked device.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #989
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitesite View Post
I somehow managed to get mine to MPH!

Played about with a lot of different settings, but I think changing the units from metric/imperial may have done it.

Also, changed the default maps app to Android Auto to save going into Apps>Manually selecting from my screen.

Added this line to factory_config.xml under SupportNaviAppList

<item name = "com.google.android.projection.gearhead" />

just for others to find more easy, changing Dashboard from kmh to mph is done at factory_config.xml

Code:
<!-- Dashboard unit  0:Metric  1:Imperial -->
        <DashBoardUnit>0</DashBoardUnit>
Oh and we can use a second tile for our own app`s, the DVR App is also changeable via factory_config.xml
The Appname needs to be added here

Code:
 <!-- List of supported DVR applications -->
    <SupportDvrAppList>
        <Item name = "com.ankai.cardvr" />
        <Item name = "com.anwensoft.cardvr" />
        <Item name = "com.sicadroid.ucam_car" />
        <Item name = "com.building.dvr" />
    </SupportDvrAppList>
And the active app then here

Code:
 <!-- USB DVR application names  Default: Ankai (Valid when the DVR module type is USB DVR) Old: com.anwensoft.cardvr  New: com.ankai.cardvr -->
        <DVRApk_PackageName>com.ankai.cardvr</DVRApk_PackageName
DVR Type has to be set to USB
Maybe the app selection will see a choice button like music app selection soon

Oh, and i checked the source code a little bit further and found out that the Bootanimation.zip can now also be importet like the splash.img, so without need of root.

just put your bootanimation.zip into the /OEM/ folder of your thumbstick and wait until the message "Boot Animation has modified" does appear.

Quote:
Im sure im not the first to do this but figured I would share since nobody mentioned it in the thread that I saw. If your car didnt come with USB Ports
( my 2013 did not ) and you want a real nice OEM way to do it you can purchase the BMW Plugs on ebay or fcpeuro etc.

The F30 came with up to 3 OEM USB Ports I believe :

1 - Glove Box ( Part # 84109229294 )
2 - Center Console ( Part # 84109229246 )
3 - Center Dash Stack ( Part # 51459393654 )

Now the cool thing I found was a company in China makes a standard USB Type A to BMW Style plug which can connect to the Android Head unit.
I have now connected both of my ports from the head unit to OEM BMW Plugs with this cable : https://ebay.to/2JLKhCx

Im a stickler for the small details and this gave the install a real polished feel.
Cool stuff, i ordered two calbes for me

I found some other hidden Setting string called, "LKT", but don`t know yet that this shortcut is.
I also found where the settings are stored but they are open at android, so not able to save them away yet.

if someone could share an NBT and NBT-EVO MCU Update for Snapdragon, this would be

Quote:
On a side note, We should make a wiki for all this stuff if lots of people are getting these head units. Would anyone have interest in this?
I could self host the wiki for all of us. That way we have a comprehensive list of must do options / settings per unit, host firmwares ( all versions in one spot labeled etc etc ).

I can put this together pretty quickly if you guys are interested, I cant populate all info but I could def host and create it.
There is already a wiki at Github see here: https://chinesebmwheadunits.github.io/

You can do pull requests, i barely have time to do my own wiki stuff, but activating them should go fast.
Or ask jspuij to geht some more permissions

Chri
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #990
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post

Cool stuff, i ordered two calbes for me
Glad to contribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post

There is already a wiki at Github see here: https://chinesebmwheadunits.github.io/

You can do pull requests, i barely have time to do my own wiki stuff, but activating them should go fast.
Or ask jspuij to geht some more permissions

Chri
Cool ill take a look, I didnt not know.
Appreciate 0