F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > M Performance LSD (requesting recommendations)
Studio RSR

02-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
Aberle
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i Limited Edition MPPSK

M Performance LSD (requesting recommendations)

After getting the M brakes and MPPSK, I've been very happy with the changes and results. Considering getting the LSD in July but have found relatively little in the threads that deal with this.

While taking my 340i (RWD) out into the open roads I have felt a slight bit of understeer, certainly not a deal breaker by any means but I figure it could be improved.

Where I live we have rainy season for 6 months out of the year, so the notion of greater grip under wet conditions certainly seduces.

Road network is in poor condition and asphalt is old. The car slips on occasion during regular driving due to this.

I've read contradicting statements regarding grip. On the one hand, improved grip, on the other, that after installing the LSD some user reported the DSC light turning on more frequently?

Just trying to learn as much as possible before making a decision. Thanks gents.-
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Grip does improve as it help me during the snowy season but it not as big as an improvement as having the proper tire on your car. The run flats that come from manufacture are total garbage.

Yes the light turns on more often but that just means the systrm.is engaging to get you more grip.
Appreciate 2
Aberle74.00
kern4174446.50
      02-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Grip does improve as it help me during the snowy season but it not as big as an improvement as having the proper tire on your car. The run flats that come from manufacture are total garbage.

Yes the light turns on more often but that just means the systrm.is engaging to get you more grip.
agreed. it's ok for straight line traction but not a game changer. it's mostly to help push the car through turns. it probably won't dial out all of the understeer but it should help. Better tires/alignment is really what makes the car handle better.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      02-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
Aberle
Private
Rep

Thank you gents. I've been looking into tires as you suggested and the first roadblock I came across is that none of the shops here sell tires in the particular sizes of my 340i so I'd have to import them.

Would Michelin Super Sport be the best way to go, what are the alternatives?

In terms of spares, how would that be managed considering the front and back are different sizes? Carry two different spares in the back?

Are there any Run Flat alternatives that are better than the stock bridgestone Potenza's P001?

Roads here are pretty bad, and it's also a very dangerous (average murder rate 26 a day). From that point of view, (better) run flats are a very tempting alternative.

Thanks.-
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberle View Post
Thank you gents. I've been looking into tires as you suggested and the first roadblock I came across is that none of the shops here sell tires in the particular sizes of my 340i so I'd have to import them.

In terms of spares, how would that be managed considering the front and back are different sizes? Carry two different spares in the back?

Are there any Run Flat alternatives that are better than the stock bridgestone Potenza's P001?

Roads here are pretty bad, and it's also a very dangerous (average murder rate 26 a day). From that point of view, (better) run flats are a very tempting alternative.

Thanks.-
I'm one of the few that is satisfied with runflats on our cars. I probably won't buy run flat replacements because of cost, but I'm not dying to replace them with non-runflats. so it's my opinion that there's nothing wrong with sticking with a run-flat summer tire so you don't have to worry about spares/flat tires.

Keep in mind that if you already have good summer tires (like S001's), that means you're probably good in the tire department. You won't get a whole lot better than the Potenzas, but the Michelin options may have a slight edge in performance. Just know it won't be a ground breaking difference in performance.

If you want a tire that nets a noticeable increase in performance, you'll need to upgrade to a 200tw tire but those won't be runflats.

Your best bet is aftermarket wheels so that you can run wider summer tires, especially up front. Upgrading to a 245 tire up front should give you a significant improvement in turning performance.
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      02-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep

I personally use the continental extreme contact sport plus all seasons
They had a puncher twice and managed to get to a tire shop with no issue
Also if you buy a full set they warranty the tire for 60k

But region always matter run flats are great for rural areas

Last edited by NormanConquest; 02-14-2018 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
Aberle74.00
x5mad351.50
      02-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Quote:

Thanks.-
I'm one of the few that is satisfied with runflats on our cars. I probably won't buy run flat replacements because of cost, but I'm not dying to replace them with non-runflats. so it's my opinion that there's nothing wrong with sticking with a run-flat summer tire so you don't have to worry about spares/flat tires.

Keep in mind that if you already have good summer tires (like S001's), that means you're probably good in the tire department. You won't get a whole lot better than the Potenzas, but the Michelin options may have a slight edge in performance. Just know it won't be a ground breaking difference in performance.

If you want a tire that nets a noticeable increase in performance, you'll need to upgrade to a 200tw tire but those won't be runflats.

Your best bet is aftermarket wheels so that you can run wider summer tires, especially up front. Upgrading to a 245 tire up front should give you a significant improvement in turning performance.
I don't agree, in Europe we generally get summer tyres as standard. It has been well documented that the S001's are the worst summer tyre to come on a 3 series. Low grip and hard as anything. Very poor ride.
If you want to stay run flat, Pirelli p zero and Goodyear are the better ones.

I run Michelin Pilot super sports (non run flat)....massive improvement over s001. Massive!!!
Appreciate 2
Aberle74.00
m3less130.00
      02-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I don't agree, in Europe we generally get summer tyres as standard. It has been well documented that the S001's are the worst summer tyre to come on a 3 series. Low grip and hard as anything. Very poor ride.

I run Michelin Pilot super sports (non run flat)....massive improvement over s001. Massive!!!
I can't get my tires to break free unless i'm deliberately driving like an idiot, which is what I want in a summer tire. I haven't tried other tires on the BMW, but on other cars i have including Hankook Ventus V12 and Continental DW. A difference in ride comfort and performance in wet/rain was somewhat noticeable, but dry grip and performance was not. The S001s also perform great in the rain, as I'm sure you're aware with the weather over there. I'm very satisfied with them.

Plus Bridgestone is a really good tire brand so it's not like it's a chinese tire company or something. Their RE71R is the 200tw king. Just a few more reasons why I'm not as eager as most to swap to new tires. They meet my performance needs and don't make me question their integrity. I can always count on them to hold when I want to and let loose when I want to.
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      02-17-2018, 02:36 AM   #9
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I still cannot believe the $50,000 plus car does not come with the limited slip differential.

That being said if you don't drive with the car in sport plus mode all the time because you don't like The intrusion of the electronic stability control you don't need LSD
Appreciate 3
Aberle74.00
kern4174446.50
      02-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I can't get my tires to break free unless i'm deliberately driving like an idiot, which is what I want in a summer tire. I haven't tried other tires on the BMW, but on other cars i have including Hankook Ventus V12 and Continental DW. A difference in ride comfort and performance in wet/rain was somewhat noticeable, but dry grip and performance was not. The S001s also perform great in the rain, as I'm sure you're aware with the weather over there. I'm very satisfied with them.

Plus Bridgestone is a really good tire brand so it's not like it's a chinese tire company or something. Their RE71R is the 200tw king. Just a few more reasons why I'm not as eager as most to swap to new tires. They meet my performance needs and don't make me question their integrity. I can always count on them to hold when I want to and let loose when I want to.
S001's are not terrible tyres.
There are better run flat tyres available, that will outperform the Bridgestone in every area except maybe life span. The S001 are very hard wearing, but in my opinion give an unacceptable course ride.
If you want a transformation try a performance non RF tyre like Michelin Pilot SS.
Appreciate 2
Aberle74.00
kern4174446.50
      02-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #11
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
I still cannot believe the $50,000 plus car does not come with the limited slip differential.

That being said if you don't drive with the car in sport plus mode all the time because you don't like The intrusion of the electronic stability control you don't need LSD
Agree on your first paragraph, a LSD should at the very least have been a factory fit option.

Not so much in agreement on the second part. I have a quaife LSD fitted, so it might act differently to the bmw one, but I can feel it working on every drive I make. Even a hard straight line pull, without wheelspin, there is a definite sensation that both rear wheels are taking the strain. Without the diff, I could always feel the unbalanced driving effort in the chassis. I have now got a second car in an m240i without a lsd and I can definitely feel the difference. Need to sort that out ASAP
Appreciate 2
Aberle74.00
deladude266.00
      02-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Quote:
Agree on your first paragraph, a LSD should at the very least have been a factory fit option.

Not so much in agreement on the second part. I have a quaife LSD fitted, so it might act differently to the bmw one, but I can feel it working on every drive I make. Even a hard straight line pull, without wheelspin, there is a definite sensation that both rear wheels are taking the strain. Without the diff, I could always feel the unbalanced driving effort in the chassis. I have now got a second car in an m240i without a lsd and I can definitely feel the difference. Need to sort that out ASAP
I have an M240i too and plan to add a diff... what route do you recommend to add the quaife and how difficult it is?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #13
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:

+1
I also had the Quaife installed three years ago. I mostly drive in comfort or sport mode and the LSD is such a big improvement even in those modes.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 2
Aberle74.00
NISFAN3487.00
      02-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #14
Frank Jia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i MPPSK

I have quaife LSD on my 340i and its just perfect for daily drive. I can feel it anytime and the traction is massive! Its probably the most recommended mod I have got on my car.
Appreciate 3
NISFAN3487.00
Aberle74.00
B58 parts477.00
      02-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post
Quote:

I have an M240i too and plan to add a diff... what route do you recommend to add the quaife and how difficult it is?
I have a friendly engineering shop that machined my last one.......damn you bmw and welded crown gears!!!
So I will just buy a loose quaife lsd internal, and have mine fitted by my pet engineering company. I might see if I can buy a spare pumpkin from one of the local BMW dealers. They sometimes have them after a MP LSD install.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #16
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks.-
You can go with a compact space saver temporary spare as the tires are the same diameter just wider in the back
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      03-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #17
Aberle
Private
Rep

It seems we´ve gone around through a wide range of opinions.

Thank you gents!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #18
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

You can grab the BMW M-LSD for ~2 grand USD (I got it 2095 w/shipping). And it's like 3 hours labor to install. It's well worth it. If you wait till black friday it might go on sale with a 1000 dollar rebate.
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      03-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #19
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.-

I have the p zero run flats and they are good I think. I also have the 19 inch upgrade. Traction in the wet is good too. They don't last long and cost more to replace. I think MPSS costs more than these but will last slightly longer. I would avoid all seasons and stick with summer or snow tires depending where you live.
Appreciate 2
Aberle74.00
kern4174446.50
      03-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
Aberle
Private
Rep

Putting all the various opinions together in a way that works within the context of where I live I´ve opted to go for the LSD. I might have an opportunity to import it in July.

Regular non-flat tires sound like a solid choice in terms of handling, but unfortunately the safety conditions around here are pretty bad (average 26 murders daily), so run-flats are very attractive from this point of view. Other than that, the ones I currently have still have a lot of life left in them. Once they get worn out, the logical step will be to upgrade to better run flats.

Sounds like the combination of both these changes should produce the desired results or close to it.-
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      03-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #21
JayDD007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Garage List
2020 G07 X7  [0.00]
2013 E70 X5  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
2009 E90 335ix  [0.00]
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post

Agreed, haven't read many responses below the second and excuse me if this has been noted BUT, the simple idea of having the same size tire front to back makes a world of difference in understeer. Bmw has to engineer this into cars to keep idiots from becoming mustang owners (targeting crowds) but people like us (that can drive) can experience these cars almost to their limits with a square setup
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #22
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

I have the M Perf LSD and love it. I can feel it much smoother going around corners and better all around traction. I also got rid of my RF's and put Michelin PS4S and great improvement but imo, the LSD is needed in this car.
Appreciate 3
Aberle74.00
CruzM3284.00
mholder23.50