F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > How to keep using expired E-Sys Launcher Premium by reverting system date (hack)
ARMA SPEED

02-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #485
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The ~2 etc is just the short file/folder name which windows allocates automatically and isn’t something that you’d normally have to be worried about.

To be honest I’ve not seen the short name or 8.3 name being used for quite a long time, a fresh install of windows wouldn’t normally enable this feature as it does slow the file system down. Guys seeing this must have upgraded from a much older version of Windows?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:01 AM   #486
digirat
Rep
Drives: x5

Clean install on win10. Esys 3.27.1 with launcher premium 2.8.2 and rearm 1.7.0 and it won't start the launcher at all with the date at 2018-09-03. it starts the launcher fine with the date as today (then it generates a token not valid after dec31 2018 and also not before feb4), but i can't seem to start it to generate a token with the date being back at 2018-09-03. no errors whatsoever, but it just won't start
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:22 AM   #487
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by digirat View Post
Clean install on win10. Esys 3.27.1 with launcher premium 2.8.2 and rearm 1.7.0 and it won't start the launcher at all with the date at 2018-09-03. it starts the launcher fine with the date as today (then it generates a token not valid after dec31 2018 and also not before feb4), but i can't seem to start it to generate a token with the date being back at 2018-09-03. no errors whatsoever, but it just won't start
1. Uninstall Esys & Launcher
2. Ensure that the computer won't update the time (stop and disable the Windows Time service)
3. Set the date to, say, 2018-08-01
4. Run the rearm
5. Install Esys & Launcher
6. Check the date is still as you set it and run the rearm
7. Now try the Launcher
8. If it works, then for future runs disable Windows Time and set the date to no earlier than 2018-08-02

That has always worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 03:19 AM   #488
digirat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjn View Post
2. Ensure that the computer won't update the time (stop and disable the Windows Time service)
4. Run the rearm
7. Now try the Launcher
8. If it works, then for future runs disable Windows Time and set the date to no earlier than 2018-08-02

did all of that. launcher won't start. i'm based in canada and have even set my location to london and on US keyboard and got rid of the canada keyboard. no dice. date still says 8/1/2018 when trying it. Even tried 8/5/2018 for the date and still won't give me anything. no errors, no nothing. it just doesn't launch
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #489
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
The ~2 etc is just the short file/folder name which windows allocates automatically and isn’t something that you’d normally have to be worried about.

To be honest I’ve not seen the short name or 8.3 name being used for quite a long time, a fresh install of windows wouldn’t normally enable this feature as it does slow the file system down. Guys seeing this must have upgraded from a much older version of Windows?

Yeah, the 8.3 short name convention is pretty ancient, but for some reason the Launcher still uses it So if your EST path in E-sys' settings displays something like "C:\PROGRA~3\TOKENM~1\E-SYSL~1\FREETO~1.EST" this is quite normal. However, if it starts with "C:\PROGRA~2\...." then there's probably a misconfiguration somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #490
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romoguy15 View Post
Hey Tony, mine shows
C:\PROGRA~3\TOKENM~1\E-SYSL~1\FREETO~1.EST.

I tried looking for
C:\ProgramData\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher Premium\FreeToken.est

but did not find it. I am running windows 10 home using esys 3.27.1 and launcher premium 2.8.2.155. Any help would be very much appreciated. I ran your command prompt and it showed C:\PROGRA~3
Hi, the "EST file manipulated" error is a problem and unfortunately there's no simple solution for it yet. I'm still thinking it has something to do with the (reverted) system date laying before the E-sys installation date, that's why I suggested installing E-sys on a date before the reverted date you're using for running the Launcher. This is basically the same as cjn tried and it seems to be working for him. In the next version of my script, the E-sys folders will be predated automatically.

Your EST path looks fine to me, although you should have been able to find the token in "C:\ProgramData\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher Premium" as well. It's important to make sure that hidden items are shown, as C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder. In Windows File Explorer there's an option fot that on the View-tab.

Cheers, Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #491
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digirat View Post
did all of that. launcher won't start. i'm based in canada and have even set my location to london and on US keyboard and got rid of the canada keyboard. no dice. date still says 8/1/2018 when trying it. Even tried 8/5/2018 for the date and still won't give me anything. no errors, no nothing. it just doesn't launch
My guess is your Documents folder is relocated.
Open Windows File Explorer and go to "shell:UsersFilesFolder" (without the quotes). Find the subfolder called Documents and do a right click -> Properties. Under the Locations tab, what is the path for this folder?

Cheers, Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #492
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M Sport Sold:2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Twoclicks View Post
Hi, the "EST file manipulated" error is a problem and unfortunately there's no simple solution for it yet. I'm still thinking it has something to do with the (reverted) system date laying before the E-sys installation date, that's why I suggested installing E-sys on a date before the reverted date you're using for running the Launcher. This is basically the same as cjn tried and it seems to be working for him. In the next version of my script, the E-sys folders will be predated automatically.

Your EST path looks fine to me, although you should have been able to find the token in "C:\ProgramData\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher Premium" as well. It's important to make sure that hidden items are shown, as C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder. In Windows File Explorer there's an option fot that on the View-tab.

Cheers, Tony
Thanks Tony. I will try reinstalling ESYS on a different date and I will also try so search for the hidden folder.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #493
digirat
Rep

Quote:
My guess is your Documents folder is relocated.
Open Windows File Explorer and go to "shell:UsersFilesFolder" (without the quotes). Find the subfolder called Documents and do a right click -> Properties. Under the Locations tab, what is the path for this folder?

Cheers, Tony
You were right. It was within the onedrive folder. I've moved the documents folder to where it should be, and is now pointing to where it should be. I've reinstalled esys and the launcher and ran the rearm script again and it still won't start

edit. i created a new windows user, reinstalled everything and it launches and generates a token. It works! Thank you!

Last edited by digirat; 02-04-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #494
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey Tony, I was able to find the hidden file
C:\ProgramData\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher Premium\FreeToken.est

Should I change the EST to that path, or leave it just how it is as
C:\PROGRA~3\TOKENM~1\E-SYSL~1\FREETO~1.EST.

I also just re-installed esys with a date of 5-10-17 and then ran your script on 8-10-18. I will let you know if this method works for me. I am able to generate the token with no issues. Hopefully I'll be able to edit FDL. That's my issue.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #495
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Cheers, Tony
Dude this worked! I was able to successfully code! I didn't mess with the EST path. I uninstalled Esys and launcher, set the date back to 2017, reinstalled Esys and launcher, moved the date to 2018, ran the script, and was able to edit FDL with no errors! I really appreciate your help, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #496
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
I've stated in the readme.txt the script assumes default locations for all system folders, including Documents. So if you're using OneDrive this is indeed a problem.

However, as the creation date of C:\ProgramData is also off, you might have two problems...

I'll send you a PM shortly to look into the matter. To be continued....

Cheers, Tony
I'm having a similar issue...

"C:\Users\Tom>dir /ad /tc "C:\ProgramData\.*"
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is C2BB-CE8E

Directory of C:\ProgramData

04/11/2018 03:38 PM <DIR> .
04/11/2018 03:38 PM <DIR> .."

Any ideas ?

Looks like it was that issue with the Documents relocation.... after I updated the batch file it seems to work

Thanks

Last edited by pikcachu; 02-05-2019 at 01:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:15 AM   #497
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romoguy15 View Post
Dude this worked! I was able to successfully code! I didn't mess with the EST path. I uninstalled Esys and launcher, set the date back to 2017, reinstalled Esys and launcher, moved the date to 2018, ran the script, and was able to edit FDL with no errors! I really appreciate your help, thank you.
Hi, thanks for the feedback. So the E-sys installation date definately seems to be a factor, although there might be more... Earlier, some tests with Ian332sport already showed that it's not the install-date per se, but rather the dating of E-sys' installation folders. In the next update my script will take this into account.

The EST path you used is fine. Basically "C:\PROGRA~3\TOKENM~1\E-SYSL~1\FREETO~1.EST" is just the 8.3 short name notation for "C:\ProgramData\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher Premium\FreeToken.est". Normally, Windows will take care of this.

Cheers, Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:18 AM   #498
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
I'm having a similar issue...

"C:\Users\Tom>dir /ad /tc "C:\ProgramData\.*"
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is C2BB-CE8E

Directory of C:\ProgramData

04/11/2018 03:38 PM <DIR> .
04/11/2018 03:38 PM <DIR> .."

Any ideas ?

Looks like it was that issue with the Documents relocation.... after I updated the batch file it seems to work

Thanks

Good to hear you got it working. Dealing with folder relocations will be featured in the next update of my script, making it much more dynamic and hopefully solving a lot of problems...

Cheers, Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #499
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the feedback. So the E-sys installation date definately seems to be a factor, although there might be more... Earlier, some tests with Ian332sport already showed that it's not the install-date per se, but rather the dating of E-sys' installation folders. In the next update my script will take this into account.

The EST path you used is fine. Basically "C:\PROGRA~3\TOKENM~1\E-SYSL~1\FREETO~1.EST" is just the 8.3 short name notation for "C:\ProgramData\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher Premium\FreeToken.est". Normally, Windows will take care of this.

Cheers, Tony
Glad to help in any way. I did check the program and all the files show date created of 5-10-17. So i'm guessing the install date changed the installation dates for the folders?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #500
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is what I'm guessing as well, but I'm not sure. You can find out the folder creation date BTW by right-clicking on it in Windows File Explorer and choosing Properties. Or you could open a command prompt and do:

dir C:\EC-Apps\ESG\E-Sys /ad /tc /s | more

to get an overview of all E-sys subfolders and their creation dates (hit space to get the next page).

Cheers, Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #501
romoguy15
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
This is what I'm guessing as well, but I'm not sure. You can find out the folder creation date BTW by right-clicking on it in Windows File Explorer and choosing Properties. Or you could open a command prompt and do:

dir C:\EC-Apps\ESG\E-Sys /ad /tc /s | more

to get an overview of all E-sys subfolders and their creation dates (hit space to get the next page).

Cheers, Tony
Yes the folder creation date for all folders shows Wednesday, ‎May ‎10, ‎2017.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #502
alandavidhenry
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d (F11)

Garage List
2013 BMW 530d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjn View Post
4. Run the rearm
7. Now try the Launcher

Followed these instructions today and it worked perfectly.
Managed to get the fsc file to update my navigation maps. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:27 AM   #503
Eisbaer Lars
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E65 750i; F10 550ix sedan

Hi guys,

short update from my "rearm-front".

As described in post #449 I was not able to start launcher with an error on the .Net world.
Ended up with reinstalling my system and decided not to screw it up with another trial but going the route of a virtual machine installation.

Here is what worked for me:

Installed Win10 on Virtual Machine with VMWare 15
Ran into Java issues (search for E-Sys 3.28.1 and Java Error) and followed the solutions provided that the Win10 Insider Build fix this.
So now running Win10 Insider Build on Virtual Machine with VMWare 15

To set up the VMware accordingly you have to generate the VMWare first w/o installing the operating system - then the vmx file of the Virtual Machine file has to be modified regarding the date and the bios settings for
- making Launcher think that it is not a virtual machine (getting the bios settings from the host)
SMBIOS.reflectHost = "TRUE"

- the date is before Dec 2018 (in my case I set it to Dec 1 2018 7pm) - make sure that you have no double entries
tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.continue = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.restore = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.resume.disk = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.shrink = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.tools.startup = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.tools.enable = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.resume.host = "FALSE"
rtc.startTime = "1543665600"

Attached you'll find the full vmx file I am running - I learned that the tweaks in the vmx has to be on a certain position inside the vmx file to work.

The whole VMWare installation has now folder dates not older than Dec 1 2018 and launcher 2.8.2 and E-Sys 3.28.1 running like a charm. Now it is happy coding time
But running the Win10 Insider Builds means that from time to time an update is performed on the VMWare Win10 and this updates are setting the time automatically updating feature back to live
The update changes the dates of some folders to the current host time (>Dec 31 2018) which fails launcher to open

Solution which works for me is (all actions done in the VMWare - NOT the host!!!):
Setting the time manually back to Dec 1 2018 7pm - deactivate again automatically time set
Run Tony's rearm script with the new VMWare set time Dec 1 2018 7pm
Start launcher and since the rearm script deletes some tokenmaster folders launcher asks for generating a new token.
Done >>> launcher 2.8.2 and E-Sys 3.28.1 are running again

In my case this has avoided tons of time searching for a running solution and being able to tweak the date/time not touching the current time on the host.

Hope this helps some others as well!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf VMWare_VMX.pdf (48.8 KB, 156 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #504
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

LdkE, great write-up and probably very helpful to others. Thanks!

Cheers, Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #505
matteis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 118i f20 sport gp

Quote:
There's a compatibility issue between Windows 10 V1809 and Launcher 2.8.2 causing exactly this error. So far, I haven't seen a solution. Are you on V1809?

Cheers, Tony
Hey Tony,

I am facing the same error. Tried different LC premium versions but none of them worked. Is there a solution to this case yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #506
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not that I've heared of. The current workaround is to use the Insider Builds and pray that MS will implement the changes in the public release builds soon.

Cheers, Tony
Appreciate 0