F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW custom PIDs and Torque Pro app
GetBMWParts

04-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #23
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I was referred to the app "Testo" as well, and have reached out to the author of it for more info. I am hearing that it will use maybe the cable I got (from Bimmer-tech when I coded my display) earlier, but then I need to figure out how to make the software work.

I am really floored there isn't a really solid GO TO solution for this already. The Torque Pro forums just continues to dig deeper into the hole of crappy support.

Here is the reference.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ime-graph-view
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #24
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Digging for more info on Testo.. trying to run it on my laptop immediately throws warning from my antivirus. *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #25
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I have reached out to two more resources and had initial positive responses. I will get back to folks here as soon as I have concrete info, but I think I may be onto something!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #26
Mouse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013F30 335i

Good to hear!
      04-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #27
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Well one is crossed off as they only measure about half of what we normally want, and then do ZERO logging.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #28
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Ok.. so I am down to two options at this time:

HMD - They do logging along with the ability to flash your car, and sell just a logging license for the app. Cost would be $99 for the license, and $49 for the correct cable from Bimmergeeks. So pretty sure it will do everything one would ever want, for about $150.

BM3 - Same thing here.. they have logging along with their remote flash and have CONSIDERED breaking out the logging separately. I am speaking to them directly about it, and hope to get a positive answer. No estimated cost or availability.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #29
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

If bm3 offers dashboard and logging as a separate license this is the way you'd want to go. You can build an OBD Agent for about $50 with Raspberry Pi 3B, case and 16 GB micro SD card and it's super easy to do. Then you have a completely wireless logging solution with all the parameters you could ever want. See if they can throw in the diagnostic tool as well. Lastly, the bm3 dashboard matches the amber gauges perfectly. It looks great at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Ok.. so I am down to two options at this time:

HMD - They do logging along with the ability to flash your car, and sell just a logging license for the app. Cost would be $99 for the license, and $49 for the correct cable from Bimmergeeks. So pretty sure it will do everything one would ever want, for about $150.

BM3 - Same thing here.. they have logging along with their remote flash and have CONSIDERED breaking out the logging separately. I am speaking to them directly about it, and hope to get a positive answer. No estimated cost or availability.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #30
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

Interesting

Hey paimon.soror, do these settings apply for N20/26? I've got a 328xi. Just wondering if i can import the csv into Torque Pro, minus the DPF?

Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
Hey there;

Yep so I have worked with TP on a few other cars, so hopefully this can help.

Have you already created a vehicle profile? I assume you have because you typically need one to get started.

Go ahead and load up torque, and click on the "gear" icon on the bottom left hand corner. On the menu, select "Vehicle Profile". There should be a popup listing a (or many if you have more than one) vehicle profiles. Edit the one you defined for the BMW by clicking the pencil icon on the right.

Next, scroll all the way to the bottom where you should find "Show Advanced Settings". Go ahead and click that button and bypass the warning.

Scroll all the way down where you will find a "Very Advanced - ELM327 ... " area. You will want to copy and paste that large string that they recommended

What this does is that it tells torque to listen for what are called "Enhanced" PIDs.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #31
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
Interesting

Hey paimon.soror, do these settings apply for N20/26? I've got a 328xi. Just wondering if i can import the csv into Torque Pro, minus the DPF?

Thank You.
Hate to say this but I don't believe that file will work for anything but that specific model. I tried to use it with my N55, and only about 3 sensors showed as active but clearly wrong with crazy values.

The garbage TP forums replied on me trying to use that file as it will not work, period, with no additional suggestions. I am deeply and wildly disappointed by TP and question pretty much everything the app does at this point.

It was the opinion of another, that they felt the Dev is just riding that train with no further effort until it falls off the tracks, and I not only agree but see no evidence otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #32
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Various BMWs

I want to make better logging happen on this platform. The standard PIDs don't include RAM variables that are worth logging for some things that don't have a PID, or for which the PID is a limited/capped version.

The problem, or opportunity if you like, is that the really good logging needs modifications to the DME software. I have them working. The logging is orders of magnitude faster than existing stuff so that you can for example log every time a spark plug fires (350Hz at 7000 RPM on a six) which along with crank acceleration data will give amazing insights for tuning compared to existing logging which is an infrequent and blunt snapshot.

What I do not yet have working is the logging software. I've not prioritised doing it because I have some other priorities like getting E85 flex fuel and realtime tuning released. Flex fuel has ended up designing new hardware for F series. Again, more opportunities when it is done, but delays.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #33
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWcurious View Post
I want to make better logging happen on this platform. The standard PIDs don't include RAM variables that are worth logging for some things that don't have a PID, or for which the PID is a limited/capped version.

The problem, or opportunity if you like, is that the really good logging needs modifications to the DME software. I have them working. The logging is orders of magnitude faster than existing stuff so that you can for example log every time a spark plug fires (350Hz at 7000 RPM on a six) which along with crank acceleration data will give amazing insights for tuning compared to existing logging which is an infrequent and blunt snapshot.

What I do not yet have working is the logging software. I've not prioritised doing it because I have some other priorities like getting E85 flex fuel and realtime tuning released.
So.. with the caveat that I have ZERO coding ability and gave up on that YEARS ago (I am an IT guy, but not a coder)..

How can I help?

I completely agree that there is huge opportunity here, as the logging platforms just are surprisingly sparse considering the technology and popularity here. How can I be part of the process? Testing? Getting results?

What are next steps?

A clean logging platform for the tuning crowd would be AMAZING.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #34
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

There are a few conceptual design issues for how to present the interface that are different to other loggers, because it is a completely different method of logging.

All the variables are RAM addresses instead of PIDs. It took some tricky disassembly to convert PIDs to RAM addresses, but I think I could automate doing this.

Variables are also logged at three rates:

- when a spark plug fires
- every 10ms
- every 100ms

To be able to choose neatly between those, populate the query within the limits of how much can be logged at each speed and then send it to the ECU is all a user interface/time/coding issue.

The ability to get the ECU to do it is something that was hard to do, as it is part of real time tuning. I sold my previous business and have been working on this full time for over a year. So I've got the ECU code encrypted and locked down. It is also cross platform, not just BMW.

So I'm wary of getting help because of leaks, but the whole thing will be big if I can complete.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #35
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
There are a few conceptual design issues for how to present the interface that are different to other loggers, because it is a completely different method of logging.

All the variables are RAM addresses instead of PIDs. It took some tricky disassembly to convert PIDs to RAM addresses, but I think I could automate doing this.

Variables are also logged at three rates:

- when a spark plug fires
- every 10ms
- every 100ms

To be able to choose neatly between those, populate the query within the limits of how much can be logged at each speed and then send it to the ECU is all a user interface/time/coding issue.

The ability to get the ECU to do it is something that was hard to do, as it is part of real time tuning. I sold my previous business and have been working on this full time for over a year. So I've got the ECU code encrypted and locked down. It is also cross platform, not just BMW.

So I'm wary of getting help because of leaks, but the whole thing will be big if I can complete.
Please let me know if I can help, happy to talk directly through PM or email as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #36
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. I really need to get the other work completed first. I love talking about the work/ideas with other enthusiasts, but cannot mislead and pretend this is a near future viable product. Annoyingly that is because of the "boring" bit which is not the initial technical achievement, but the delivery into a consumer ready product. Open source, it would be posted already. Trouble is, that doesn't feed my hungry cat.
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #37
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
In the interim, I just ordered the correct cable and will buy the logging license for the HMD app. I hear their stuff is great, and their support has been really good even though I am not a customer yet.

I need to make sure that my logging is ACCURATE and is capturing everything I need for the Active Autowerke tuning I have running.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #38
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Quote:
Isn't this what bootmod3 does?

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #39
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

No.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #40
One4Fun
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I have no problem spending the time to add the N-Series PID's found in the https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing you posted in the first post and then exporting them for the community if thats all that needs to be done.

Was it the 328 file that didnt work or will the pid's in the https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing not work either?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #41
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by One4Fun View Post
I have no problem spending the time to add the N-Series PID's found in the https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing you posted in the first post and then exporting them for the community if thats all that needs to be done.

Was it the 328 file that didnt work or will the pid's in the https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing not work either?
I just couldn't get to work at all..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #42
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

OK, I am the guy who figured this out for the 335d.
First, you are getting confused between different levels of information.
There are OBD2 parameters that were listed in the document that I shared on the forum and is in this thread. One of the OBD2 requests that you can make is to indicate the parameters that are available with your ECU. Or you can just request all of them and see which ones work. But that is not always simple, because some parameters are in the from of bits rather than bytes - also described in document I shared. At any rate , the request for any of these parameters is universal. What is unique is whether a particular parameters is supported. BTW, Torque has a few calculated parameters that are not actually OBD2. Boost is one of them and it is not particularly accurate.

Then there are UDS commands. $2C is a UDS command to retrieve info. OBD is a subset of UDS. If you think the special OBD2 parameters are hard to find, I would suggest 2C will be nearly impossible. $23 is good if you know the address location. Those can be found in an A2L. You may find info will cost $. By now the alphabet soup should be fairly confusing, but google is your friend, to some extent.

It is hard to understand why this is worth all the effort. If you want to see non OBD2 data, there are much better ways to get that. For android there is Deep OBD, for windows Testo (not a Mac user, sorry)

Good luck. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. So busy right now.
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur992.50
      10-08-2018, 01:20 AM   #43
Noelmus
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320D

Garage List
Hi
I know that I'm not at the right forum since I drive E92 320D (2013), but I need some help from people like you who knows what they are doing. I know nothing about PIDs and I need a Current Gear PID for 2 apps, Torque and Realdash.
For Torque app I saw this PID on internet but if I remember well it gave me PID 22199a no respond. (see Attacment).
For Realdash app one needs a XML file. For more information about this XML file see this tutorial. (http://realdash.net/manuals/customiz...unications.php).
I really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Last edited by Noelmus; 10-08-2018 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: to add some text
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 03:07 AM   #44
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT (F34/N20)

I did a ton of digging recently because I really wanted oil temperature on my 328 F34 and I came to the following conclusion.

Most cars spit out tons of messages on the OBD port so you can simply scan the port and try to go from there. The F3x unfortunately does not do that. It spits out only one keep alive message on I think 0x130. You have to actively interrogate the car in order to get anything out of it. What this means is that if we don't know the proper places to ask the proper questions we will never get the car to respond. Furthermore we cannot just brute force ask the car random things at random addresses or we risk the car doing scary things that could damage it or flash random garbage somewhere.

TLDR
Someone who already knows everything has to tell us what message we have to send to what address and then what we will get back with what scaling factor.

If I am wrong and there is some way to reverse this from ANYTHING please tell me where I should be looking. I read somewhere tool32 may be my friend? But I'm not sure where to start with that either yet.

As for deepobd I think that only works on F3x with a enet wifi adapter. Hence why I am inclined to believe no one actually has been able to get any of this data over obd yet, they all just use enet and avoid the problem we are trying to solve. Does not inspire confidence.
Appreciate 0