F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 335i HK System mic'd, measured and EQ'd
GetBMWParts

03-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #67
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tympj View Post
jgoens, I use" Youtube to MP3 Converter" from google. Copy the url link from the song you want to download into the mp3 converter (where it shows paste link here https)and click on convert. Then when this completes you click on download. The downloaded mp3 now goes to your download folder. Keep in mind this procedure relates to Windows 10 PC's. Should be the same procedure for Apple.

The top 2 searches for mp3 converter work great. I use those 2 exclusively. When mp3 file is downloaded, you might need to change the artist and song name so you have a consistent method of displaying mp3's. In my case, artist name first then song name. Now I can import into Itunes by putting downloaded files into a folder named whatever you want and sync to iphone. Then I can also copy same folder to thumbdrive and import to my F30 idrive harddrive. Now all my songs are loaded in my car for easy playback either random or in alphabetical order. Excellent technology for all my music.

Let me know if you need any further help.
I went to the site for the google mp3 player...ThatMp3..and it said they have to modify the software due to not being in compliance with Youtube policy. Suppose I'll have to wait. This is why I gave up with youtube in the first place...constantly chasing software that works.

http://www.thatmp3.com/index.php

https://plus.google.com/+ThatMP3
      03-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #68
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Almaretto, I'll be honest with you I think I have a good ear for music and I can't tell
the quality difference between a FLAC file and the same song MP3. For example,
download this url and tell me what you think.
If you download song to mp3 and then convert to flac, it is already compressed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #69
tympj
Yellow Jacket
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Orion Silver

jgoens, you need to search by mp3 converter. Then you will get the one I use which works all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:36 AM   #70
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
If you download song to mp3 and then convert to flac, it is already compressed.
Correct. You cannot upconvert a compressed file into a lossless format. Downloading music from YouTube and using that to judge a stereo system will give you false impressions on anything you listen to it on. I still bring CD's in my car because I cannot stand how terrible the Bluetooth is. Eventually I will buy a solid state hard drive, load it with music, plug it in via USB and leave that in the car. I just haven't gotten that far since I'm on the road constantly for work and drive my car so infrequently.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #71
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
jgoens, you need to search by mp3 converter. Then you will get the one I use which works all the time.
I did that first and there are many..that's why I was wondering which one in particular you are using. I have tried something in the past but it didn't work well. I guess, it is about trying different ones to see what works. I use Win. 10 by the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #72
tympj
Yellow Jacket
United_States
Rep

Almaretto, not sure what you mean already compressed? I know the converter I use compresses the file to either format because of the file extension added. Are you saying, you need to compress an mp3 to FLAC to get better quality sound? If so, how is that done and does that reduce or increase the size of the mp3 file? Does Itunes accept FLAC files?

Last edited by tympj; 03-31-2017 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: format
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #73
tympj
Yellow Jacket
United_States
Rep

jgoens, yes I use the second one listed" Youtube to MP3" to start then the first one if it doesn't convert which does happen sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 12:13 PM   #74
HKD126
Captain
Rep

MP3's are a compressed file format. Once compressed, you cannot upconvert this format to a higher quality. Downloading music from YouTube or listening to music from YouTube is essentially the same as putting your stereo in a cardboard box, sealing it, covering your ears with wet socks and then listening to and judging the sound quality of the speakers.
Appreciate 1
Kabrich355.00
      03-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #75
tympj
Yellow Jacket
United_States
Rep

HKD126, I'm coming from the 60's and on so anything sounds better than vinyl with the scratches and skips so this technology is like heaven to me. I'm just a guy trying to get my music into my car the easiest way possible that sounds pretty close like the original recording to me.

Doesn't using the harddrive in my car make sense since I can import all my songs from iTunes into it using the same mp3 files? I hear what your saying about bluetooth and totally agree it sucks and don't want Sirius and AMP radio works sporadically as well. I have many CD's but don't like all the songs on every one. Just want to pick and choose and that's what I like about youtube even though there is work involved to get a library of songs. It's been worth every minute now that I have 1100 plus songs.

Last edited by tympj; 03-31-2017 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: edit wording
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #76
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Why not just copy and paste your iTunes library to an external SSD hard drive and leave that in your car? You'll have all of your music and at a much higher quality to listen to.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:09 PM   #77
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Almaretto, not sure what you mean already compressed? I know the converter I use compresses the file to either format because of the file extension added. Are you saying, you need to compress an mp3 to FLAC to get better quality sound? If so, how is that done and does that reduce or increase the size of the mp3 file? Does Itunes accept FLAC files?

Quote:
HKD126, I'm coming from the 60's and on so anything sounds better than vinyl with the scratches and skips so this technology is like heaven to me. I'm just a guy trying to get my music into my car the easiest way possible that sounds pretty close like the original recording to me.
Any vinyl can sound better than MP3, but I don't want to go there here.

Anyway, using your example, if you convert your vinyl with the scratches and skips to MP3 or FLAC, do the scratches and skips magically disappear?

If you take a 70s cassette and convert the audio to MP3 or FLAC, does the tape hiss disappear and it magically sounds as good as the CD?

No.

If you start with a crappy source, recording/converting to a different format will not magically fix it.

Thus an MP3 converted to FLAC will sound like the MP3....not as good as the CD because the information has already been lost.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #78
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Flac can be in various qualities, but done right, it sounds exactly like high quality studio recording. They are larger, uncompressed, lossless audio files.

The would be no point to "upconverting" a lower quality, smaller mp3, into flac.

I have not used any Apple products for 20 years, so someone else will have to answer what Itunes reads.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #79
tympj
Yellow Jacket
United_States
Rep

HKD126, I hear you except the mp3 files I originally imported into itunes are the same mp3 files I imported into my car's harddrive. So how will that be any better?

These same mp3 files are the ones I sync with my iphone and Apple TV which I use with my home
surround sound system so good consistency among various platforms.

Last edited by tympj; 03-31-2017 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #80
tympj
Yellow Jacket
United_States
Rep

Kabrich, get your point about garbage in garbage out. However, with youtube there are always multiple copies of the same song so there is always a version that sounds crystal clear to my ears no matter when the song was recorded. Whoever puts the song on youtube, usually marks it with HD or HQ in the song name and it sounds excellent to me. I never download a song recorded from the vinyl record. You can tell immediately in that case because you can hear the scratches. Every song I have is excellent quality for normal listening.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:25 PM   #81
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Kabrich, get your point about garbage in garbage out. However, with youtube there are always multiple copies of the same song so there is always a version that sounds crystal clear to my ears no matter when the song was recorded. Whoever puts the song on youtube, usually marks it with HD or HQ in the song name and it sounds excellent to me. I never download a song recorded from the vinyl record. You can tell immediately in that case because you can hear the scratches. Every song I have is excellent quality for normal listening.
If you cannot tell the difference, save storage space for more media.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:26 PM   #82
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
jgoens, yes I use the second one listed" Youtube to MP3" to start then the first one if it doesn't convert which does happen sometimes.
I tried a converter today which was an online one where you put the URL in and it converts and then downloads. It seems to work and I did an MP4 as well. A little foreign to me as it is a free online source as opposed to using a software that I download on my computer...but if it works it's all good. I want to make some dvd music vids to play while I drive..just because...cool.

It's been hit and miss on making dvds that actually work--for some reason some work and some don't...some fail in the writing procedure and some write fine but fail to play in the car. I made a dvd of Ironman 2 a few months ago that worked and my son likes it watching it from the back seat (I coded DVD in motion).
      04-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #83
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
If you cannot tell the difference, save storage space for more media.
I agree with this statement for the most part. I however install and tune concert audio systems for a living and literally make my money from critically listening. The quality from YouTube makes me cringe. Although, if I want to listen to music I usually listen to cd's or uncompressed audio files through mastering converters and a pair of very high end monitors at home.... Even listening to music on my phone is through JH iem's... I guess my perception is a bit skewed from your average listener.

What I was saying about the SSD HD is that if your iTunes is set to import CD's at a higher quality, you would have more space with the external hard drive than the car's hard drive. That would give you more music at a higher quality than YouTube rips.

Last edited by HKD126; 04-05-2017 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #84
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126 View Post
I agree with this statement for the most part. I however install and tune concert audio systems for a living and literally make my money from critically listening. The quality from YouTube makes me cringe though. Although, if I want to listen to music I usually listen to cd's or uncompressed audio files through mastering converters and a pair of very high end monitors at home.... Even listening to music on my phone is through JH iem's... I guess my perception is a bit skewed from your average listener.

What I was saying about the SSD HD is that if your iTunes is set to import CD's at a higher quality, you would have more space with the external hard drive than the car's hard drive. That would give you more music at a higher quality than YouTube rips.
I concur; I let satellite radio subscription lapse and only use Flac. I notice a difference in my computer performance using SSD, but do not with an external drive for vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #85
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Great thread and agree about using FLAC. Does the stock BMW (HK) system handle SSD?

HKD126, JH Roxanne CIEMs are nice (set bass adjust to 0), have been using the Noble K10 CIEMs for music listening. For accuracy i tend to prefer Ultimate Ears CIEMs, yet they're kinda old ones so might need to update those. Am curious which nearfield / room monitors you're using.

Again, great thread, much appreciated.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #86
HKD126
Captain
Rep

I use the JH Roxanne IEM's. They are wonderful and the customer service is fantastic. I can no longer recommend UE's to anyone now since they have been bought out by Logitech. A couple engineer friends of mine have broken pairs, have artists that have broken sets and can't get in contact with anyone from UE. They won't return phone calls, emails, or anything for MONTHS.

For at home I have a pair of Dynaudio BM12a's and a pair of Focal Twin6 BE's. They are being fed through some Dangerous Music converters. I used to do studio recording and mixing. My home stereo consists of some pieces of gear I couldn't give up from that time.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #87
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Great thread and agree about using FLAC. Does the stock BMW (HK) system handle SSD?
Only certain SSD's are supported as internal hard drives. But, as external, I have not run into any issue with SSD, jump drives, or HDD.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #88
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Nice setup and agree JH is an awesome company. They're near me and invited wife and i to visit and fit us with something special though we haven't gone yet. Focals are really nice, just cant seem to do the Dynaudio thing. Been playing with Adam Audio here, the tweets are nice-sounding. Yeah, since UE got bought out i havent done anything, so still have the old ?18pro? and you're right they now seem, well, you know. BTW did a wildcard review of some exotic Hum CIEMs and they are amazing and accurate, but after sending them back to Asia for refit and still no go (too small so bandaided them with Comply foam).

Anywho, great meeting another audio guy! Enjoy the music

Almaretto, thx and will get a 2.5 SSD with USB as listen to FLAC and hi-res stuff so have TBs here of stuff.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0