F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i / 440i (B58) BMW M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) Official Release
ARMA SPEED

01-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #837
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Sport+ Mode IS NOT EQUAL to Sport Mode

I just posted this on another thread ("MPPSK installed today on 340i, a few questions") but I think it's important enough to capture in the main MPPSK thread.

The attached chart to which we've all been referring to is NOT CORRECT for 340i MPPSK.

I normally drive in Sport Mode. Based on the incorrect chart, I assumed that Sport+ was just Sport Mode with DTC On. This is totally wrong!

Just drove 5 miles with Sport+ Mode, and within 100 feet I was stunned at the difference!

With the transmission in D, the transmission shift points are noticeably higher - higher even than Sport in M/S mode. The transmission is still in D mode b/c if you hit the paddles, it will shift to M mode for about 15 seconds, then shift back to D.

In M/S Mode, the shift points are higher still!

The throttle response is also more sensitive and aggressive.

In short, Sport+ Mode is truly a Sport+ Mode. It is awesome, and it will now be my new default mode.

I need to do some more driving in carefully controlled starts to measure differences.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #838
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
I just posted this on another thread ("MPPSK installed today on 340i, a few questions") but I think it's important enough to capture in the main MPPSK thread.

The attached chart to which we've all been referring to is NOT CORRECT for 340i MPPSK.

I normally drive in Sport Mode. Based on the incorrect chart, I assumed that Sport+ was just Sport Mode with DTC On. This is totally wrong!

Just drove 5 miles with Sport+ Mode, and within 100 feet I was stunned at the difference!

With the transmission in D, the transmission shift points are noticeably higher - higher even than Sport in M/S mode. The transmission is still in D mode b/c if you hit the paddles, it will shift to M mode for about 15 seconds, then shift back to D.

In short, Sport+ Mode is truly a Sport+ Mode. It is awesome, and it will now be my new default mode.

I need to do some more driving in carefully controlled starts to measure differences.
We should not be referring to a chart from 4 years ago, notice test car is a 2014 335i, not 340i, two very different machines. Much has changed.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #839
Airdog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix Sport/track/tech

Accuracy of Sports Display in car...

It would be cool to have an updated chart.

On a different note, my sports display shows almost 400 lb/ft of torque and 380 of HP. I had the dealership check the software to confirm the computer was giving out accurate info and they said yes.

Can this be possible? I thought dyno numbers were closer to 365 and 355 respectively.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #840
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
It would be cool to have an updated chart.

On a different note, my sports display shows almost 400 lb/ft of torque and 380 of HP. I had the dealership check the software to confirm the computer was giving out accurate info and they said yes.

Can this be possible? I thought dyno numbers were closer to 365 and 355 respectively.
The official # is 355 HP for 340i MPPSK. I've seen people quote as high as 380 on a dyno.

The "fake" (pre-recorded, at least) Sport Display does in fact show 355. See the photo - i took a video of a 0-60 pull and captured the still from the Sport Display.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #841
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek80 View Post
So finally installed at Town+Country BMW Toronto. The total is 5288 after tax, 480 for labor. Took my car in at 7:30 am, and car is ready at 2 pm.
They were first quoting me 5 hours which I knew was ridiculous. I called a few times and I finally got a service rep who finally checked how much the book quote was from BMW, which I already knew was 3 hours from the MPPSK installation pdf. My service rep said I was only the third customer which has installed the kit there since it's release.

Sounds like they finally offered you 3 hours ($160/hr) after they did mine... you're welcome :P
      01-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #842
Airdog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have a pic showing my gauges but can’t figure out how to to add it to this message. The site keeps asking me for a URL address...?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #843
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
I have a pic showing my gauges but can’t figure out how to to add it to this message. The site keeps asking me for a URL address...?
you can Manage Attachments and upload photos/files that way. Took me a few posts to figure it out too.

There was some discussion a few months back about the accuracy and complexity of the Sports Displays. I believe the consensus was that they are more or less use pre-recorded data, not live engine data. They take your throttle, RPM, and perhaps speed into account, and spit out the number according to the data.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #844
harperium
Major
Rep

Drove in Sport+ all weekend.

1. Steering feels the same as Sport
2. Throttle mapping is more aggressive than Sport
3. Both D and M/S modes have higher shift-points than in Sport
4. Suspension ... maybe the same, maybe a little firmer?? I cannot tell for sure.
5. Exhaust burbles. More prominent with more cracks and pops. This may simply be because the RPMs are higher, but every time I let off the throttle, at any RPM, there are ample burbles, more than Sport. Is the exhaust louder? Seems the same.

Regarding point 4, does the F30 have more than just two ("soft" and "firm") settings for the suspension? Is it possible that Sport+ is firmer or is this a placebo effect?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #845
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
you can Manage Attachments and upload photos/files that way. Took me a few posts to figure it out too.

There was some discussion a few months back about the accuracy and complexity of the Sports Displays. I believe the consensus was that they are more or less use pre-recorded data, not live engine data. They take your throttle, RPM, and perhaps speed into account, and spit out the number according to the data.
Most likely they are calculating based on a known volumetric efficiency curve for the engine. More accurately they probably map load request/load % to a known VE curve and spit out that #.. so not 'recorded', but guesstimates based on the original configuration of the engine. So, probably decently accurate at stock configuration or with purely BMW parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #846
Airdog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Most likely they are calculating based on a known volumetric efficiency curve for the engine. More accurately they probably map load request/load % to a known VE curve and spit out that #.. so not 'recorded', but guesstimates based on the original configuration of the engine. So, probably decently accurate at stock configuration or with purely BMW parts.
Wow! That is technical ... all I can say is I can feel the torque in the driver’s seat!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #847
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tanzanite 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Drove in Sport+ all weekend.

1. Steering feels the same as Sport
2. Throttle mapping is more aggressive than Sport
3. Both D and M/S modes have higher shift-points than in Sport
4. Suspension ... maybe the same, maybe a little firmer?? I cannot tell for sure.
5. Exhaust burbles. More prominent with more cracks and pops. This may simply be because the RPMs are higher, but every time I let off the throttle, at any RPM, there are ample burbles, more than Sport. Is the exhaust louder? Seems the same.

Regarding point 4, does the F30 have more than just two ("soft" and "firm") settings for the suspension? Is it possible that Sport+ is firmer or is this a placebo effect?
Yup, I noticed 2,3,5 pre MPPSK and same difference between modes post MPPSK. Really surprised me because I wasn't expecting any difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #848
harperium
Major
Rep

In Sport+ I've also noticed increased downshifting when slowing down. If I jam on the brakes, the transmission upshifts fast so then when I get back on the throttle, the RPMs are already revving high.

Last edited by harperium; 01-25-2018 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: increase downshifting not upshifting
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #849
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
In Sport+ I've also noticed increased upshifting when slowing down. If I jam on the brakes, the transmission upshifts fast so then when I get back on the throttle, the RPMs are already revving high.
You mean downshifting
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #850
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Still think the MPPSK is overpriced?

Well it is but ...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1460803

a modest bump in power, it sounds great (IMO) and I don't have to worry about this nightmare.
      01-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #851
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockLOL View Post
My car is built and on ship headed Here but still about a month before it is due in port can I still add MPPSK to it as port installed? Anyone know?
Answer is probably.... I would call your CA as soon as you can and be sure to have them add it at invoice!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:32 PM   #852
Rob340i
Sergeant First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

If i order the MPPSK for my US spec 340 would an italian bmw dealer be able to install it/tune it? They dont even offer the 340i in italy for purchase? Also if i bought it and i installed the exhaust and later had the dealer install tune would the exhaust part still be covered under the warranty since i installed myself?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #853
neo871
Major
Romania
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive MPPSK

Quote:

This is a great table. Anyone know if there is one available for the 340i (xdrive)?

Some similar info is included in the M2 technical presentation/training, but is missing from the F30 LCI one...:

M2 example I am talking about:
Attached Images

Last edited by neo871; 02-07-2018 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #854
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo871 View Post
This is a great table. Anyone know if there is one available for the 340i (xdrive)?

Some similar info is included in the M2 technical presentation/training, but is missing from the F30 LCI one...:

M2 example I am talking about:
[IMG]https://www.flickr.com/gp/46278683@N03/C743rv[/IMG]
No need for a table, butt dyno will tell you everything you need to know.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #855
mikejg
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i F36

Run in

Does anybody know whether there is a map change programmed by bmw that comes into effect after a few miles run in? My motor is much freer after 4000 miles than I think a simple run in should account for.

When I got it I was underwhelmed but now it revs very freely
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #856
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejg View Post
Does anybody know whether there is a map change programmed by bmw that comes into effect after a few miles run in? My motor is much freer after 4000 miles than I think a simple run in should account for.

When I got it I was underwhelmed but now it revs very freely
Supposedly most motors need some bedding of the piston rings against the cylinder bores that happens within the first thousand miles or so. With modern tolerances, oils, cylinder honing, etc... I'm not sure if it really takes that long anymore on production cars. IIRC, for example, with the lack of cylinder bore liners in these cars, the factory doesn't need to stock multiple sizes of piston anymore, the tolerances are just that good every time.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #857
KCWolfPck
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 328i e93

Question: I am going to purchase the MPPSK for my new 2018 F33 440i from an internet part dealer. Will the box it ships in fit in my car?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #858
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post
Question: I am going to purchase the MPPSK for my new 2018 F33 440i from an internet part dealer. Will the box it ships in fit in my car?
I'd call that a negative. Look at the distance between the exhaust pipes and compare it to your car. There is still more box to the left that's cut out of the photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0