F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Munich Trip & The Welt
ARMA SPEED

02-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Munich Trip & The Welt

Hi folks,

The family are keen for a trip to Germany and I've suggested Munich. I've been once before but it was a whirlwind of meetings.

Would you recommend staying centrally, family room type accommodation. Also any tips please if the Welt visits, days to avoid perhaps etc. Like most of you I've read through a few of the US Guys n Gals European collections and there is so much going on its hard to filter.

So please if I could ask a small favour:-

1) Hotel recommendations?
2) Welt + which other BMW essentials?
3) Any other family type attractions (to contrast the BMW day )

Many thanks!

PS thinking of Easter, departing Easter Monday as time is already booked of.
      02-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Been twice to the Welt now in 2016 & 2011, both great trips.

Hotel we used on both trips is right in the centre and is https://www.torbraeu.de/. Not sure they do family rooms, but a cracking hotel and the restaurant next door is great too (Although not cheap!)

Welt and Factory tour is a must, along with the museum. Don't forget to book the factory tour before you go out there as it gets booked up quite early. I'd allow a day for in and around BMW with the factory tour.

The Olympic park from 1972 is quite good for family, and it's quite interesting. You can go up the Olympic tower and see all the BMW factory. And they have a few family events on around the park at weekends.

The English Gardens in the centre of Munich is also pretty decent. Both times we went in Summer so was quite nice to walk around.

Underground is great for getting about on (Which I'm sure you've used). Second time we drove in, but left the car and just used the public transport.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      02-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Hi folks,

The family are keen for a trip to Germany and I've suggested Munich. I've been once before but it was a whirlwind of meetings.

Would you recommend staying centrally, family room type accommodation. Also any tips please if the Welt visits, days to avoid perhaps etc. Like most of you I've read through a few of the US Guys n Gals European collections and there is so much going on its hard to filter.

So please if I could ask a small favour:-

1) Hotel recommendations?
2) Welt + which other BMW essentials?
3) Any other family type attractions (to contrast the BMW day )

Many thanks!

PS thinking of Easter, departing Easter Monday as time is already booked of.
Stayed in the Pullman Munich a couple of years back. Decent sized rooms of reasonable quality.

Location is good as it's right by a U-Bahn station and we got everywhere easily. BMW welt was fairly close by but we never made it there.

Wife and I went for Oktoberfest and had a couple of days around the town centre. A local friend took us on out of town trips to the Bavarian alps, highly recommended. Wallberg was the name I think - cable cars and mountain top restaurants. Worth a day in a hire car if the weather is good imho. If you do want recommendations closer to the time, I can ask my Bavarian friend...

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      02-18-2019, 02:10 AM   #4
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
It's essential to book the factory tour in advance. I was naive and assumed there'd be space when we went. There wasn't (full of Chinese tourists!) so we ended up doing the museum instead.

Can't help with accommodation as we were only there for the day.
      02-18-2019, 03:53 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Went to Munich for a stag weekend last year - stunning place. We stayed in a cheap hotel very central - right opposite the train station. Most of the things we did obviously revolved around drinking but went to Olympic park one morning which was good place to spend a few hours, wandered the town centre one morning - busy but interesting, obviously went in the famous beer keller place.... there is a central park with a surf wave on the river, some beautiful old areas - and in our case April fest.....

Highly recommended what I can recall of it...

Ingolstadt just down the road too
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      02-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Thanks all for the replies I will check this out
      02-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

I stayed here for 3 nights a couple of years ago in a 2 bed apartment and it was really superb and I can highly recommend it.

https://www.maximilian-munich.com

Hotel is very central and you can walk into town easily. The Hofbrauhaus is worth a visit too for the Oompah band.

BMW Welt is great too.

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50