F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Why did you choose the 3 GT?
Studio RSR

12-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #23
BimmerNo5
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

Trunk space, rear legroom, ride comfort, recognizing that there is a compromise on handling (its 8in longer than the 3 sedan, in case you didn't notice). Also, pretty amazing performance for a 2 litre engine and this size of car.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #24
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

Would be my first BMW. My heart wanted a Z4, my wife was more rational (ok, we have two dogs). 1 Series was too compact, 3 Series saloon was too common everywhere. 4 Series (coupe) had recently been launched, 2 Series was not yet available. I would go for a X6, but it was out of my budget. The 3 Series GT filled the gap because of its beautiful, unique lines (for my taste) and its engine tech.

As soon as we moved to a new flat, we noticed that the garage (a car elevator) had a very low roof, wouldn't fit not even a Mini Paceman. This restricted our possibilities (X1, X3 etc. were ruled out). The 3GT was at the very limit (it doesn't fit with the sunroof open!).

I considered the Mercedes CLA because of its beautiful lines, but some reviews weren't so good. Not even tried one. C Class was outdated (the new model hadn't been launched yet). The 3GT seems technologically more advanced than the CLA. Didn't want an Audi, I know that they have good cars, but sometimes they look like VW plus.

At the showroom there was a 4 Series coupe (Gran Coupe wasn't available yet), but my wife found the seat position too low. So we tested a 3GT, liked it, got it.

The huge trunk and rear passenger space of the GT came to us as a bonus, that was not essential in our initial requirements.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #25
limal45
Rep
Drives: 2014 mineral grey 328iGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Just wondering. Did you do it, like me, for the rear seat space? Or was there another reason? If BMW sold the long wheelbase sedan (saloon) in your country, would you have gotten that instead?

Me, personally, I got it for the back seat, and yes, if they sold a 335Li here, I'd have gotten that instead. As is though, the closest sedan with a backseat the size of a 3GT is the short wheelbase 7, which is like twice the price.
l bought mine for the extra room in the back but also for the hatch as it is so versatile and there is so much carrying capacity. the only thing i don't like is the satnav - no where near as good as my garmin, it's so bad i think i will buy another garmin -i let my other go with my last car as i knew this one had satnav, i have heard other bm drivers complain about the bm satnav, now i know why!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #26
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Extra space without unnecessary bulk of an SUV. Would have purchased a true wagon if one was available with similar or better power to weight as the 335, but such a wagon doesn't exist until you get into E63 AMG territory here in the US. Only alternatives are E60 535 Touring, E39 540 Touring, or V70R, and good luck finding any of those in the kind of shape you would want to give you no headaches with new kids around.

Been a BMW family for a while and Not sure we will buy another BMW, but I will say one positive thing about our 335GT, over 20,000 miles it has been completely trouble free so far, despite some concerning build quality issues and just general poor design choices made BMW on the F3x chassis in general.
      12-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #27
DanITman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Reason for puchase

Christmas just confirmed why I purchased this car. I needed the space. Filled it up when visiting family over the holidays.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #28
GotgolfMD
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i GT M package

The GT has the perfect balance. If I were single with no kids I would be driving an M3 or M4. However, the reality is I need space, comfort, fuel mileage all with the ability to drive in all kinds of weather. The GT wraps this together.

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #29
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Ride height

I owned 2 E91 tourings (wagon). The 2007 320d version and my current car the 2011 320d . Both with M Sport package.

After 8 years in 3 series touring I want something different. Also the stiffer suspension and very low seating position is becoming a burden (age and bad back). Guess I’m ready for a little more comfort and ride height.

Looked into the X4. Backed out due to old (previous generation) interior styling and the premium price. The 5 series was also an option but price quickly skyrocketed after selecting a few options.

The 3GT is offering me a spacious car, comfort and ride height. Floor space in trunk is huge. Perfect for storing strollers. Planning on ordering a 330d next month. And oh yeah, never buy a GT without M-sport package. :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #30
wmb
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 Comp, '15 335xi GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
Looked into the X4. Backed out due to old (previous generation) interior styling and the premium price. The 5 series was also an option but price quickly skyrocketed after selecting a few options.
Felt similarly about the X4. Loved the exterior (even without M Sport) but was less impressed with the interior. The added extra rear space in the GT also won favor.

Agree on the 5GT as well (with proper sized wheels and / or M Sport). Quickly turns into an 80k car though.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #31
2Newts
Rep
Drives: 2014 F34 328i

1. Rear leg room for kid seats
2. Rear seat width for being able to sit between two kids seats (it's wider than most SUVs)
3. Cargo space
4. Sharp looks
5. It's a car, drives like a car, looks like a car, is a car. I hate SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #32
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Newts View Post
5. It's a car, drives like a car, looks like a car, is a car. I hate SUVs.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #33
manda99
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

We only have one car and really needed the hatchback and fold down seats since our one car needs to be practical. Our last car was the 328 (2011 xDrive model, so seats didn't fold down either) and we couldn't fit anything in it and were forever begging friends to help us bring packages home from Home Depot, Ikea, etc.

You wouldn't believe the stuff I've fit into the back of this car!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #34
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I wanted something that would carry four adults comfortably, along with four sets of golf clubs and four overnight bags. I also wanted high performance and something that didn't look like a toaster oven on wheels. That whittled it down to a very short list: the 328GT.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:15 PM   #35
minImANia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 > E84 > F34

- Rear seat leg room
- The ride height... easy to get in and out
- Cargo space...more length than Touring, X1, X3
- Multi angle seat back adjustment for the rear seat. Can gain additional cargo space and still sits all passengers
- Last, I really like the LED light in the cargo. Show car grade of lighting!

Appreciate 2
khailuan110.50
      02-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #36
Perusal
Rep
Drives: 318d Sport GT

Having run "premium" brand cars since the mid 90s I traded my Jaguar XF in 2013 for a Mazda CX-5 SUV owing to a lack of practicality, think golf clubs, dog etc. and high running costs. The Mazda was a choice made by the 'head' not the 'heart' and so while it delivered on most counts something was lacking.

Cue the local BMW dealer advertising a 7 month old Sport GT model at a really good price and in midnight blue and it seemed to offer a compromise between head and heart. Not as practical as the Mazda but a far, far better car to drive As soon as the dealer gave me a really good trade in price the deal was done. Had 2 previous BMWs, a 5 series estate (while the kids were growing up) and a 3 Coupe (E92), both of which never gave a moment's trouble.

Have had the car 5 days now and just loving it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #37
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perusal View Post
Have had the car 5 days now and just loving it.
+1. I've seen more critics dishing about this car than you can shake a stick at, but not one of them actually owns one. I doubt most of them are even old enough to drive, let alone afford a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 06:19 AM   #38
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

1) "SPACE. The final frontier..." - Needed a bigger car, wanted the rear legroom for my visiting parents, friends, as well as carseats, stroller, the works.
2) I have a guilty confession: I love "hatchbacks" (term used loosely). I like them for the versatility and space. I am a photographer, and have lots of outdoor hobbies, so lots of cargo space was needed. My old WRX was nice, but could have used a lot more length, which the GT has.
3) The refinement is nice. I've always liked my WRX, but the interior never got me excited (my other was an LS250). Time to upgrade the interior.
4) Love how the car handles. Good on gas (N20). Just enough for my everyday, and sensible. I can still push it a little, and it loves to play. Wanted the N55, but budgeting and gas prices somehow won.
5) I love how it looks. (MSport, 19" AG M590 on PSS for summer, stock 18" M400 with Blizzaks for winter)
6) The tech & other amenities are a nice bonus. Always wanted a sunroof, that this pano-roof is GORGEOUS. The audio is much nicer than anything else I've had, including my Lexus. The ambient lights are a welcomed luxurious touch. Always wanted parking cameras for city convenience (didn't have on my Lexus or Subarus). (and before anyone attacks me, I know how to park. But the extra set of eyes are always good, especially when a-holes like to box you in)
7) I feel good in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #39
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
+1. I've seen more critics dishing about this car than you can shake a stick at, but not one of them actually owns one. I doubt most of them are even old enough to drive, let alone afford a BMW.
Check out these guys - they have been driving one for quite a while and have a lot of positive things to say about it as a car to live with.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series-...erm-road-test/

Here is a quote

"I really like this car. Our long-term 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo is so exceptional I not only often recommend it to my friends and family, I would happily own one myself."
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #40
OfficeHeadphones
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
Check out these guys - they have been driving one for quite a while and have a lot of positive things to say about it as a car to live with.

Here is a quote

"I really like this car. Our long-term 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo is so exceptional I not only often recommend it to my friends and family, I would happily own one myself."
I read every post of their review, from the good to the bad. I really enjoyed their discussion on how to option the vehicle in addition to the multiple points of view as to whether the 328 had enough oomph or if the 335 was the better choice.

What also seems to be telling is how often they grabbed it for road trips and other hauling. They hit 20k before their 12 month testing period. It gives me the impression that at the end of the day, people enjoy it as a useful, comfortable, and fun vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #41
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
Here is a quote
I've read every review ever posted, it was 14 months between when I started looking at new cars and I actually bought one. It's not the reviewers I have issues with so much as the comments made by every 15 year old self-anointed automotive expert on the planet.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #42
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
....I have issues with so much as the comments made by every 15 year old self-anointed automotive expert on the planet.
You mean how the GT is BMW's "Aztec"?

I think it's interesting how the GC gets so much love, at least on the forums, when it really isn't all that much different from the GT. One thing I will give the GC, it is sleeker. However, I think the GT has the over all better package. Here's why, over the GC the GT has standard (in the US, at least):

1. A panoramic sunroof
2. More rear leg room
3. Back seat releases in trunk
4. Active spoiler (which I think is cool)
5. Larger cargo area

There's one other thing, the GT has a place to store the cargo covers, does anyone know if the GC does too?

One thing I think both cars would benefit from is a rear window wiper.

Anyway, that's my take of the two, very similar, BMW vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #43
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge View Post
I think it's interesting how the GC gets so much love, at least on the forums, when it really isn't all that much different from the GT.
If I didn't care about carrying four adults plus luggage I'd have gone for the GC, but the days when I could get away with a backseat only suitable for children are long behind me.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #44
Jerseypirate
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328 GT

I picked up my 328 GT (and first BMW) yesterday, which is surprising considering that this car wasn't even on my radar less than a month ago. I'm going from an A4 convertible. I decided I wanted something more practical, but didn't really want to go the SUV route. We already had a sedan in the family, so this left me considering sport wagons: Audi Allroad, 3 series wagon, and to humor my better half, the Volvo V60. After going to the Philadelphia Auto Show, none of those cars were on my list. My problem - I'm 6'3 and finding a car that I can fit into, let alone have a usable back seat while I'm driving, is no easy task. I discovered the GT at the show and was blown away at the usability. An enormous back seat, trunk space for days, and it wasn't an SUV. I immidiately scheduled a test drive with a local dealer and fell in love with it. Now, admittedly, I wasn't so sure of the styling (two friends I was with at the show mentioned the word 'Crosstour' while looking at the car), but over the days/weeks - it's really won me over. Sharp styling, drives like a car, the practicality I needed, and a usable back seat - all in one incredible package!
Appreciate 0