F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > trouble getting winter tires. Need some help guys
Extreme Powerhouse

11-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #23
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Do yourself a big favor and get a square set of Nokian Hakkapelita R2 or R3 winter tires online here:

https://www.tiresbyweb.com/m-108-nokian-tires.aspx

Up to 6 months a year of snow and ice; we don't #%* around.

Last edited by dkreidel; 11-17-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #24
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Do yourself a big favor and get a square set of Nokian Hakkapelita R2 or R3 winter tires online here:

https://www.tiresbyweb.com/m-108-nokian-tires.aspx

Up to 6 months a year of snow and ice; we don't #%* around.
And it's 800 miles across your state, one could get lost. I recall the speed limit what ever safe speed you want to drive.
I digress, the Nokian tires are excellent however they are only R (106 MPH) or T (118 MPH) speed rated. I have the Pirelli Sottozero for the BMW as they have the right speed ratings and they are run-flats, not too many choices for run-flats, Pirelli is top rated performance with run flat tires at Tirerack.

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)

Last edited by kpgray; 11-17-2018 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #25
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I recall the speed limit what ever safe speed you want to drive.
I digress, the Nokian tires are excellent however they are only R (106 MPH) or T (118 MPH) speed rated
HaHa, yep, it's a big state. Michi PS4S for fast transit the months we don't have winter. My hat's off to you brother; if you can outdrive T rated winter rubber with snow and ice on the road you have a pair bigger than our State "bird" >>

Here's a winter tire test from Car and Driver, and they don't sell tires Nokian was first, but no such thing as a free lunch; they're the most expensive

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...mpared-feature

Last edited by dkreidel; 11-17-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #26
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBS0712 View Post
Are you sure that a M-Sport can not use 17" rims? I thought I read (here) that the only calipers that require 18" are the M-Sport Brake Package which comes with the "Track Package".
Just checked Tire Rack .... they offer a 17" Wheel Tire Package for a 2017 M-Sport 340. If you have the "Track Package" they only offer 18"'s.
Anyone know for sure?
That is a good question. In Canada they come together as far as I know, US apparently splits the packages....

17" should work fine with regular brake calipers, but 18" or larger required for m-sport brakes (some 18" rim still won't clear, you need to verify).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #27
colobrio
Rep
Drives: 2016 3281i

+1 for getting a set of 18x8" square with winter tires. You'll have better snow tires, and you'll save money in the long run. I've taken my RWD 328 over 11,000' passes through snow to get to the slopes, without a hitch (on 225 Blizzaks).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #28
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
HaHa, yep, it's a big state. Michi PS4S for fast transit the months we don't have winter. My hat's off to you brother; if you can outdrive T rated winter rubber with snow and ice on the road you have a pair bigger than our State "bird" >>

Here's a winter tire test from Car and Driver, and they don't sell tires Nokian was first, but no such thing as a free lunch; they're the most expensive

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...mpared-feature
I agree, Nokian is best, but dealers and big name tire stores (at least by me) will not install under-speed tires on your car. It can be done at some independent shops, or if you bring the rims separate and just ask them to mount and balance. I just know when I bought my rims and tires at the dealer as part of my purchase, they would not install without rated tires. My next set I will most likely go to the independent for a lower speed rated tire (they will last longer). I like the Montana State Bird better than Michigan's (I tried to find the Black Fly but no pictures found):

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #29
brettbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i 2013 328i

Quote:
I agree, Nokian is best, but dealers and big name tire stores (at least by me) will not install under-speed tires on your car. It can be done at some independent shops, or if you bring the rims separate and just ask them to mount and balance. I just know when I bought my rims and tires at the dealer as part of my purchase, they would not install without rated tires. My next set I will most likely go to the independent for a lower speed rated tire (they will last longer). I like the Montana State Bird better than Michigan's (I tried to find the Black Fly but no pictures found):

Ha Ha.....i luv it....In the Adirondacks snow tires are a way of life for 6 mo....Im a blizzak guy, wife like ice X..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #30
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I've had BOTH the Bizzaks and the Xi3.

Blizzaks wear hella fast and were the most "winter tire" feeling. Xi3 was better in every way, IMO -- AND -- actually have a treadwear warranty, if I remember right. They are also the #1 studless tire recommended by Consumer Reports -- and I think they have better rolling resistance (and better gas mileage) too.

Honestly though, my favorite so far, is the Pirelli Sottozero 3. I was worried about not having a runflat, but I drove the car through a massive pothole at 40mph and bottomed the suspension out -- and they were fine. These babies are STRONG. I keep them at least at 36psi (cold) -- the ride, noise levels, comfort, etc is excellent. No tram-lining whatsoever. Wear seems really good too.

They plowed through a good 7 inches of snow when the city was closed and take me up to the mountain every year.

I went with 225/45 18 inch.
Appreciate 1
Solidjake945.00
      11-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #31
brettbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i 2013 328i

Snow Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
I've had BOTH the Bizzaks and the Xi3.

Blizzaks wear hella fast and were the most "winter tire" feeling. Xi3 was better in every way, IMO -- AND -- actually have a treadwear warranty, if I remember right. They are also the #1 studless tire recommended by Consumer Reports -- and I think they have better rolling resistance (and better gas mileage) too.

Honestly though, my favorite so far, is the Pirelli Sottozero 3. I was worried about not having a runflat, but I drove the car through a massive pothole at 40mph and bottomed the suspension out -- and they were fine. These babies are STRONG. I keep them at least at 36psi (cold) -- the ride, noise levels, comfort, etc is excellent. No tram-lining whatsoever. Wear seems really good too.

They plowed through a good 7 inches of snow when the city was closed and take me up to the mountain every year.

I went with 225/45 18 inch.
That's the only thing i don't like about blizzaks they do wear very fast. My wife doesn't like the road noise, so she chose IceX...maybe its me but i cant tell the difference in road noise between the two, maybe im getting old..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #32
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I swap my summer tires for Ultra High Performance All Season category tires in the winter. They're way better in the dry, and capable enough in the snow. If it snows that much I'm not taking the rwd F30 out anyway.

My suggestion is to be honest with yourself regarding how capable you need your F30 to be.
      11-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #33
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I swap my summer tires for Ultra High Performance All Season category tires in the winter. They're way better in the dry, and capable enough in the snow. If it snows that much I'm not taking the rwd F30 out anyway.

My suggestion is to be honest with yourself regarding how capable you need your F30 to be.
I live in southeastern Michigan, we get snow several times annually from 1-6" and usually at least one snow fall with more than that. The F30 will get through the vast majority of snow falls easily. The clearance on the RWD is 5.5" and 6.25" xDrive. I went from AWD back to RWD because the sport suspension and steering feel are so much better for the other 345 days a year when the pavement is not snowy. The Sottozeros work very well with the 50/50 weight distribution and the traction control provides traction in both rear wheels. If I have to get out when the snow is greater than 6", I will take the Wife's AWD SUV, she hates to drive in the snow anyways, so she won't go anywhere.

In a nutshell, only a couple days a year max the F30 does not have the clearance to drive for conditions in SE Michigan.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #34
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I just know when I bought my rims and tires at the dealer as part of my purchase, they would not install without rated tires.
That's bullshit, or in the context of the picture, bisonshit.
Quote:
My next set I will most likely go to the independent for a lower speed rated tire
You should have done that with the current set. Your dealer gave you a screwing, and not in the good way.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #35
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
I live in southeastern Michigan, we get snow several times annually from 1-6" and usually at least one snow fall with more than that. The F30 will get through the vast majority of snow falls easily. The clearance on the RWD is 5.5" and 6.25" xDrive. I went from AWD back to RWD because the sport suspension and steering feel are so much better for the other 345 days a year when the pavement is not snowy. The Sottozeros work very well with the 50/50 weight distribution and the traction control provides traction in both rear wheels. If I have to get out when the snow is greater than 6", I will take the Wife's AWD SUV, she hates to drive in the snow anyways, so she won't go anywhere.

In a nutshell, only a couple days a year max the F30 does not have the clearance to drive for conditions in SE Michigan.
+1. We have a F25 X3 35i and F30 335i RWD both on Michelin X-Ice Xi3. If it's deep snow, AWD SUV + studless snow tires for the win.

An AWD sedan with snow tires will still get stuck in snow due to its low ground clearance.

The best solution for deep snow is to have an AWD/4WD SUV/pickup with studless snow tires. Not much beats a heavier vehicle with ground clearance + studless snow tires in deep snow and ice.

If you're driving at highway speeds for a long distance commute 40+ miles on hard packed (not deep) snow, then I would prefer a low center of gravity AWD sedan + studless snow tires. It's easier to control at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #36
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
That's bullshit, or in the context of the picture, bisonshit.

You should have done that with the current set. Your dealer gave you a screwing, and not in the good way.
The dealer is not the only one who does this, our local major retailers here are the same. It's the liability factor, if you drive your car faster than the tires rated speed, and the tires fail during one of these spirited drives, the liability lawyers will go after the tire manufacture who will locate the installer for their lack of due diligence! Yes, it's BS, that's why next time I would go to the small independent shop.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #37
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The minimum winter tire speed rating you can buy is Q, 99 MPH. That is well over the speed limit. You are being hosed. Do they pull that same nonsense on minivan owners? Kia Rio owners? How about Toyota Yaris? Or do they just do it based on the cut of your jib?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #38
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The minimum winter tire speed rating you can buy is Q, 99 MPH. That is well over the speed limit. You are being hosed. Do they pull that same nonsense on minivan owners? Kia Rio owners? How about Toyota Yaris? Or do they just do it based on the cut of your jib?
I understand what you are saying, I am just telling you my situation. I bought from the dealer as I wanted the BMW rims and they gave me the tires under Tirerack advertised price. The three places I went to all performed some due diligence, the dealer knew the speed rating of the car, second place pulled the vehicle up on their computer and said they would not sell me the lower rated tire and the third looked at my existing tires and said they would only replace with same rated or higher. That is why I said I would go to an independent shop next set. I can also tell you the speed limit in Michigan away from the cities is now 75 MPH and people are always 10-15 over. I frequently get passed going 85+.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #39
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I hear what you're saying too, and it's still BS. How many cars are not capable of 100 MPH? None of those shysters would have been rewarded with my business. I had a tire chain pull one on me when I wanted to buy just two snows for my in town car. They said they wouldn't sell me only two snows, they'd only sell me four. I replied that they weren't going to sell me any and went down the street to the next guy. He, rightfully, explained why I should consider getting four snows, I explained why I only wanted two, he agreed and he got my business, not just that time, but for all time.
Appreciate 0