F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Help Needed: M-Performance suspension or coil-overs?
Studio RSR

05-05-2016, 01:58 AM   #1
3SeriesDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Mineral Grey

Help Needed: M-Performance suspension or coil-overs?

I need to upgrade my 2013 F30 335i Sport line suspension with something stiffer and something that would improve the handling and road feel of the too comfortable car. I don't think I would be adjusting the coil-over dampening and rebound on regular basis if I get one with those adjustments. I am looking for something that I can install and forget as I don't have much experience and knowhow about car suspension systems and coil-overs. To give you an idea of what I am looking for, I want the ride and feel like E90 or even better E90 or F80 M3. Is it possible to achieve that kind of stiffness, handling and road feedback with suspension upgrade? I have the Continental ContiSportContact 5 SSR summer performance run-flats that came with my F30 and I plan on keeping them (vs replacing with Michelin Super Sports).

I have shortlisted the following:

1) M-performance suspension
2) Coil-overs:
- KW (Not sure which version to get out of v1, v2 or v3)
- Bilstein B14

I am looking to spend around $1500 including install. Is this reasonable? I searched and found that M-perf suspension itself costs $1500 without install. Any discounts or deals on that?

Also, any recommended shops which do good installation and reasonable prices in San Francisco Bay Area?

Thanks for taking time to read my post
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SeriesDriver View Post
How is the ride quality with m-performance suspension? Would you rate the stiffness and handling as good as E90 suspension, E90 M3 suspension or F80 M3 suspension or below these three, if you have driven or sat in any of these generation cars?

I don't have much experience with m-perf or various coilovers but I am pretty sure, I would not keep on adjusting the coilovers on regular basis if I install one. I just want a system which I can install and forget. Also, is it possible to get m-perf suspension cheaper than $1500 as its been few years since it came out?

Lastly, how much did you end up paying for the installation? Dealer or other shop?

Thanks!
this is my 1st bimmer. the ride is a bit firmer but the handling is much much better than the m-sport suspension. i have not seen it cheaper than $1500. a long time friend put the top hats on the fronts and installed everything in about 3 hours. after install, the left rear camber was 0.1 out of spec and everything remained in spec.

if you go coils ohlins and ast are the top of the line but cost quite a bit. even KW will cost you more than M-Perf.

if you don't mind that the drop is just 10mm i highly recommend it
Attached Images

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 05-05-2016 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
I need to upgrade my 2013 F30 335i Sport line suspension with something stiffer and something that would improve the handling and road feel of the too comfortable car. I don't think I would be adjusting the coil-over dampening and rebound on regular basis if I get one with those adjustments. I am looking for something that I can install and forget as I don't have much experience and knowhow about car suspension systems and coil-overs. To give you an idea of what I am looking for, I want the ride and feel like E90 or even better E90 or F80 M3. Is it possible to achieve that kind of stiffness, handling and road feedback with suspension upgrade? I have the Continental ContiSportContact 5 SSR summer performance run-flats that came with my F30 and I plan on keeping them (vs replacing with Michelin Super Sports).

2) Coil-overs:
- Bilstein B14

I am looking to spend around $1500 including install. Is this reasonable? I searched and found that M-perf suspension itself costs $1500 without install. Any discounts or deals on that?

Also, any recommended shops which do good installation and reasonable prices in San Francisco Bay Area?

First, you're going to have to accept that it is not economically practical to get a F3x platform to handle the same way a F8x platform would handle.

M Performance Suspension will cost you $1500. Any suspension install is going to involve a substantial number of labor hours. Fortunately, you already have the Sport suspension anti-roll bars. Otherwise, the labor cost could conceivably be more than that actual parts cost.

Also, I'd highly recommend you replace your tires (when they wear out eventually) with a better tire such as a Michelin PSS.

As far as set it and forget it, M Performance Suspension is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
3SeriesDriver
Private
Rep

@alohasurftoad, thanks for your reply. I actually don't mind the 10mm drop; I just want a firm ride and handling that a BMW "sports sedan" *should* have from the factory.

@Polo08816, I understand your point and you are right. If I can at least bring my F30 335i to E90 335i levels in terms of stiffness and road feedback, I would be more than happy.

Looks like I would need to shop around for M-Performance Suspension!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Any lowering option is going to cause you pain if you are keeping the run flats. They are brutal with lowering springs or coil overs. I couldn't wait to get mine off on both my E90 and this F30.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
3SeriesDriver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
Any lowering option is going to cause you pain if you are keeping the run flats. They are brutal with lowering springs or coil overs. I couldn't wait to get mine off on both my E90 and this F30.
That is what I have heard but at least I can install the suspension/coilovers first and then I can install non-RFT after they wear out if I find them too brutal.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
I never really noticed it at first, but now that I put my rfts back on (winter tires are go flats) I realize how stiff they are and how much they rattle the car. Sounds like my car is going to fall apart when I go over bumps or road joints.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #8
3SeriesDriver
Private
Rep

What are your thoughts on Bilstein B14 coilovers? The images from this thread looks good; just don't know about the ride quality
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
What are your thoughts on Bilstein B14 coilovers? The images from this thread looks good; just don't know about the ride quality
looks good. FYI, the min drop is 30mm (1-1-4"). if you are DIY, i would do is buy components such as strut mounts(top hats), nuts etc so that you can assemble the coilovers complete off the car and make the swap. instead of taking out the old struts, spring compressing, swapping the strut mounts.

if you're sending it out then i suppose it doesn't matter, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #10
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Quote:

2) Coil-overs:
- Bilstein B14

Greetings. I have the same year/make/model and also looking for a suspension upgrade as well. As a first step, I'm going to buy and install the KW V3's on my Porsche 911 to see if I like them (getting rid of H&R lowering springs) and if they are good, I'll also purchase/install on the F30. Of all the research I've done including owner feedback, I'm going the KW V3 coilover route instead of Bilstein PSS 10.

To cut down your choices based on price point, you cannot get into V3s on an F30 in your price range. You are also a few $ hundred out on the PSS10's, V1 and V2's. I think, based on your install and forget plan, you should opt for the M Performance suspension; $1500, or as I found $1600 out the door from Tischer BMW in Maryland.
1986 BMW 325e
1971 VW Super Beetle
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #11
3SeriesDriver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daberlin View Post
Greetings. I have the same year/make/model and also looking for a suspension upgrade as well. As a first step, I'm going to buy and install the KW V3's on my Porsche 911 to see if I like them (getting rid of H&R lowering springs) and if they are good, I'll also purchase/install on the F30. Of all the research I've done including owner feedback, I'm going the KW V3 coilover route instead of Bilstein PSS 10.

To cut down your choices based on price point, you cannot get into V3s on an F30 in your price range. You are also a few $ hundred out on the PSS10's, V1 and V2's. I think, based on your install and forget plan, you should opt for the M Performance suspension; $1500, or as I found $1600 out the door from Tischer BMW in Maryland.
Thanks daberlin for your advice! Was the "$1600 out the door" quote for parts and installation? getBMWParts lists the suspension itself at $1500.

Also, just curious, what is your opinion on Bilstein B8 struts and Eibach/H&R springs combo? Seems to be less expensive than the M-Performance suspension considering that eventually, M-Perf is also a struts-spring combo in itself except that it is BMW tuned.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #12
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks daberlin for your advice! Was the "$1600 out the door" quote for parts and installation? getBMWParts lists the suspension itself at $1500.

Also, just curious, what is your opinion on Bilstein B8 struts and Eibach/H&R springs combo? Seems to be less expensive than the M-Performance suspension considering that eventually, M-Perf is also a struts-spring combo in itself except that it is BMW tuned.
It's definitely not $1600 for parts and installation. Parts are $1595 on getBMWParts alone.

That Bilstein combo is less expensive than that M Performance Suspension but no one here will say it's a better matched pair than the MPS. There are plenty of Bilstein/H&R fails on the forums from basically mismatched springs/struts.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

It will be very difficult to stay within $1,500 budget, including installation. Since your goals are reasonable, take a look at KW Street Comfort coilovers.

www.allshocks.com has very attractive prices. KW Street Comfort and V1 are approx. $1,500 at allshocks.com. V2 are more expensive, nearing $1,800.

Last edited by cfm56d7b; 05-08-2016 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #14
Askadry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad
Quote:
How is the ride quality with m-performance suspension? Would you rate the stiffness and handling as good as E90 suspension, E90 M3 suspension or F80 M3 suspension or below these three, if you have driven or sat in any of these generation cars?

I don't have much experience with m-perf or various coilovers but I am pretty sure, I would not keep on adjusting the coilovers on regular basis if I install one. I just want a system which I can install and forget. Also, is it possible to get m-perf suspension cheaper than $1500 as its been few years since it came out?

Lastly, how much did you end up paying for the installation? Dealer or other shop?

Thanks!
this is my 1st bimmer. the ride is a bit firmer but the handling is much much better than the m-sport suspension. i have not seen it cheaper than $1500. a long time friend put the top hats on the fronts and installed everything in about 3 hours. after install, the left rear camber was 0.1 out of spec and everything remained in spec.

if you go coils ohlins and ast are the top of the line but cost quite a bit. even KW will cost you more than M-Perf.

if you don't mind that the drop is just 10mm i highly recommend it
Are these MPerformace full suspension....dampers&springs?

Is this 19" wheels ur having?

As i saw a couple of other F3x with MPerf suspension but with more height than yours even on 20"!!

I even thought to get the MPerf dampers with H&R sport springs plus the strut bar as my car is 2013 335 luxury model.....i.e non m-sport
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #15
lunchbox
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i X drive

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 335  [0.00]
2013 335xi  [0.00]
That's a pretty small budget, forget coilovers. You could maybe do springs ad install. Most shops charging $700+ for install on the low end. Don't forget you'll need a 4 wheel alignment after the suspension installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #16
3SeriesDriver
Private
Rep

Okay, so it is 2018 and I still haven't upgraded the stock suspension on my car. Reviving this old thread of mine. My car is at 68,000 miles already and the stock shocks will soon need a replacement, I guess. So, since my car was at a body shop (for a different reason), I thought I would take the plunge and do the suspension swap.

I have reasonable expectations now in terms of pricing. I am looking at $1500-$1800 for parts and $800-1000 for the install.

My expectations are still the same:

- I am looking to get a stiff ride but not overbearingly jarring experience on bad roads/potholes, etc.
- Minimum drop in ride height ~20-30mm and not more

I had earlier shortlisted:

1) BMW M Performance
2) KW V2s.

I want to add Bilstein in the mix too

3) Bilstein B14 or B16

B16 seems to be expensive than V2s. I am assuming B14 is equivalent to KW V1 in terms of being able to adjust the height and dampening while B16 is more equivalent to V2; in fact, B16 have both rebound and compression dampening adjustments vs V2 has rebound.

What I am stuck with the dilemma is that which one would provide a satisfactory ride out of 3. By satisfactory, I mean, stiff, less body roll, getting more road feedback but at the same time not being tired or hurting my back due to bad roads. Does that make any sense? I am on stock 18" RFTs and plan on keeping the same. Also, as already mentioned, non M-sport (sportline) 335i RWD from 2013.

Also, for the price of M Performance kit (which is close to the price of KW V2), I am getting shocks, spring and also the front and rear sway bars. I am guessing BMW recommends anti-roll bars for non M-Sport package cars while the coil-over manufacturers don't. Can anyone explain why?

Any help on this repeatedly asked question is appreciated. I read countless threads but still could not find a definitive answer on these 3 sets comparison, because, most likely not one person has experienced all 3 on the same F30 platform, I am guessing.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #17
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

All three will be compliant and stiffer than stock. B14 has no dampening or rebound adjustment, just height, like the V1. B16 Pss10 has both, but in one knob adjusting both simultaneously, unlike v2. They are also adjustable without removing the tires or shocks, unlike KW v2/3.

Go for the KW streetcomfort for your application. They go for ~$1600usd while the Bilstein variant is about $2200. However, that +$600 gives you the benefits listed above for the PSS10.

Your "minimum drop" actually sounds like your maximum drop, and will be on the lower end of the Streetcomfort (kw or bilstein) adjustment range. All the others, on their highest setting, will be 30mm lower than xdrive base suspension.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #18
N420i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 420i lightly modded

In my opinion, Mperf vs coilovers is the wrong comparison to be making.

Given that the Mperf is non-adjustable, I'd just go for Bilstein B8 + Eibach pro-kit springs. There is little doubt in my mind it will be vastly superior performance-wise and the set can be gotten for well under 900$. I found a great deal on mine and managed to get the whole set including shipping for under 700€.

The Mperf only drops 10mm, as do the Eibach pro-kits. Want more drop? Go with Eibach Sportlines (30mm) or H&R springs, which are almost 40mm, and stiffer.

There's no point in paying BMW tax on certain parts where the aftermarket options are just better, and cheaper. It's like going to the dealer and buying official, stock runflats for a 40% markup and worse performance over a good set of sports tires anywhere else...
Appreciate 1