F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Turbo noise
Studio RSR

03-12-2024, 02:53 AM   #1
sl13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive Msport

Turbo noise

Another day another issue ... Perhaps linked to my slight coolant loss?!

I'm getting a barely audible turbo whine/whistle from the front right. It comes in and off with revs both in gear and out of it.

It seems low down in the rev range so wondering if supercharger or standard turbo - perhaps manifold gasket?!

Any ideas - 335d f31
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 03:10 AM   #2
V330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Tanzanite

look at the oil breather pipe at, perhaps a small hole where it rubs against the engine. If you can find your EGR cooler you'll see this plastic pipe. It clips off in two seconds. look for any evidence of the slightest amount of oil but take the pipe off and look.
mine did exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 03:58 AM   #3
sl13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by V330d View Post
look at the oil breather pipe at, perhaps a small hole where it rubs against the engine. If you can find your EGR cooler you'll see this plastic pipe. It clips off in two seconds. look for any evidence of the slightest amount of oil but take the pipe off and look.
mine did exactly the same.
That's funny, I've literally just replaced it but there is a small piece of the lower coupling attached to the engine that has snapped off (it's a piece of plastic that holds one of the side clips of the pipe itself). Not sure how I can fix that! The pipe is also stretched as it was somewhat short so it could be it's split.

I'll have a look and see what's what.

Thanks for the idea!
Appreciate 0