F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Carlinkit CarPlay module experience?
proTUNING Freaks

07-21-2019, 02:37 AM   #1
Vince M3
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Alpinweiss

Hi. I've buyed the Carlinkit CarPlay module... and I'm not really happy with it... It is sold as NBT/NBTevo/6,5'/8.8'/10.2' compatible...

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ciKWNznS

After having tried all dip switches settings to match my 8.8' nbt evo screen, I can say that the image quality / resolution of the CarPlay interface is really bad on NBT-EVO... it's like displaying a low resolution image on a HD monitor... You see pixels on icons corners and fonts. The image seems to be stretched (CarPlay home icon is not round, but oval)... Colors seems to be washed (Like when you put brightness to full on a screen...). Text is unreadable in Waze (because of small fonts)

The internal microphone Works but there is a lot or garbage noise when you try to make/answer a call ... Siri didn't recognize what you say... I've tried to use external mic and it is worst...

I wanna say that the only thing that works is the audio part...

Maybe that my module is defect... I want to know if you experienced those kind of problems with your CarPlay module (joyeauto/carlinkit or other brand...) on nbt-evo 8.8' wide screen?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Why would you buy it when the reviews on the link provided above are terrible?

You can either return it or contact Carlinkt support.

07-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
jus711
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive GC

That’s disappointing because I was very interested in this unit. It looks like some people have been able to get a firmware update to fix the screen issues. How does it work otherwise? Is it wired or wireless or both? Can you play audio via Bluetooth in I drive while still getting CarPlay video like other units? Does airplay work? Did you install the backup camera?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
Vince M3
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus711 View Post
That's disappointing because I was very interested in this unit. It looks like some people have been able to get a firmware update to fix the screen issues. How does it work otherwise? Is it wired or wireless or both? Can you play audio via Bluetooth in I drive while still getting CarPlay video like other units? Does airplay work? Did you install the backup camera?
I have got the update by Carlinkit (widescreen fix), the colors are better in google maps but the bad resolution remains the same... no wireless and no bluetooth... I'm really disappointed by this product... If you can, stay away from this product if you have nbt-evo ID4 like me...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
Vince M3
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Why would you buy it when the reviews on the link provided above are terrible?

You can either return it or contact Carlinkt support.
Reviews from buyers seems to be fixed by update... but the update fixes in fact the Color scheme in google maps... no more... Contact with the seller is very bad... He didn't answer to my requests...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #6
jus711
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince M3 View Post
I have got the update by Carlinkit (widescreen fix), the colors are better in google maps but the bad resolution remains the same... no wireless and no bluetooth... I'm really disappointed by this product... If you can, stay away from this product if you have nbt-evo ID4 like me...
Thanks for the feedback, I have CIC but I would assume it would be the same, back to the drawing board I guess, I liked the price and the option to use Airplay, but I figured it was too good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
I'd stay far away from this brand's module.

I saw this unit a while back and kept any eye on the reviews for a few months - decided against it myself. The pictures posted by buyers clearly showed the color was off and the unit doesn't run in the native resolution of the iDrive display, that's why it looks blurry. 8.8" and non-touch 10.2" iDrive screens have a 1280x480 resolution but this unit outputs in a weird resolution contrary to what their chart on the unit says. Because of the odd resolution, the content is actually stretched vertically a bit (square app icons looked slightly rectangular to me in reviews).
      07-26-2019, 12:22 AM   #8
jus711
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I wanna say that the only thing that works is the audio part...
Would you say the audio was as good as the stock audio either wired or Bluetooth, or was it somewhat distorted because it uses the AUX port? That seems to be the issue with the other CarPlay units.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Would you say the audio was as good as the stock audio either wired or Bluetooth, or was it somewhat distorted because it uses the AUX port? That seems to be the issue with the other CarPlay units.
I coded EBT in my car and was never happy with the fidelity of the bluetooth streaming... connecting the phone to the car was always better and offered song metadata and artwork... one thing I do recommend is to change your music settings to higher quality (I have spotify set to "High" audio quality).

The carlinkit audio was as good as I would expect it to be (I had the previous gen wired version) - would expect the new one to similar as is also using the aux port...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
The pictures posted by buyers clearly showed the color was off and the unit doesn't run in the native resolution of the iDrive display, that's why it looks blurry. 8.8" and non-touch 10.2" iDrive screens have a 1280x480 resolution but this unit outputs in a weird resolution contrary to what their chart on the unit says.
Lets see if/when they release a firmware update to address that screen resolution issue - current version seems to be 6.0.1

Last edited by x-m4n; 07-29-2019 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
jus711
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
I coded EBT in my car and was never happy with the fidelity of the bluetooth streaming... connecting the phone to the car was always better and offered song metadata and artwork... one thing I do recommend is to change your music settings to higher quality (I have spotify set to "High" audio quality).

The carlinkit audio was as good as I would expect it to be (I had the previous gen wired version) - would expect the new one to similar as is also using the aux port...

Lets see if/when they release a firmware update to address that screen resolution issue - current version seems to be 6.0.1
That’s good info, thanks. I get artwork and metadata through Bluetooth in my F30. I think the Bluetooth quality is pretty good but I agree it’s always going to be a bit diminished from wired even with the best BT since there’s some compression. The DSP I plan to install when I replace the stock amp has the ability to accept a bluetooth or wired input directly to bypass the stock head unit, so I always have that as a fail safe but I’d like to run everything through CarPlay ideally. I think I’m still going to take the plunge on this unit, I like the ability to have AirPlay as well as CarPlay and the price can’t be beat. I feel like the resolution issues can be solved through firmware, after all we’re talking about a digital signal being sent to a specific type of display, there shouldn’t be much variance from the other units out there if coded properly.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
I doubt it; if the unit was capable of doing the native resolution, I'd think they would have released it with it. I suspect the processor isn't capable of delivering the 1280x480 resolution without performance impact, due to overheating or whatever other reason. Looks like a inferior product/solution to me.
x-m4n148.00
      07-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #12
Vince M3
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I'm not an audio expert... But IMO the audio quality seems to be good... No cracking noise, no distortion... I've put the AUX level to 8 just to test, but for now I've put it to zero as I cannot see real difference when playing with the AUX volume (except that the volume is higher or lower ;-)
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #13
Vince M3
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I doubt it; if the unit was capable of doing the native resolution, I'd think they would have released it with it. I suspect the processor isn't capable of delivering the 1280x480 resolution without performance impact, due to overheating or whatever other reason. Looks like a inferior product/solution to me.
Agree with your opinion... For me its rather an hardware limitation than a software problem...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
if the unit was capable of doing the native resolution, I'd think they would have released it with it.
Agree
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
Vince M3
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Hi.

You say that the unit is as good as it is expected to be... Which kind of screen do you have? Do you experience the same problems as me? (weird resolution/pictures strectched?)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
Vince M3
Belgium
Rep

For users of other Carplay modules (Joyeauto/UniqueAD...):

Do you experience problems with bad resolution? With pictures/icons stretched?

If not, I'll seriously consider selling this unit to a NBT 6,5" owner and buy another one with better quality...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #17
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You say that the unit is as good as it is expected to be...
I was talking about the Carlinkit AUDIO being as good as I would expect it to be - (I had the previous gen Carlinkit version which was showing Carplay in only "half" of the BMW screen but in the correct sharp resolution).

I see you are also reporting good audio with the new widescreen version. Following this thread with interest.

Last edited by x-m4n; 07-30-2019 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:25 AM   #18
contracts34
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series F33

Quote:
I was talking about the Carlinkit AUDIO being as good as I would expect it to be - (I had the previous gen Carlinkit version which was showing Carplay in only "half" of the BMW screen but in the correct sharp resolution).

I see you are also reporting good audio with the new widescreen version. Following this thread with interest.
Me too
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-31-2019, 05:09 AM   #19
Creedozz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI

Quote:
For users of other Carplay modules (Joyeauto/UniqueAD...):

Do you experience problems with bad resolution? With pictures/icons stretched?

If not, I'll seriously consider selling this unit to a NBT 6,5" owner and buy another one with better quality...

Thanks
I use joyeauto carplay wireless kit with my evo
Pros: same audio quality with the original evo and same resolution (6.5"), the processor is fine it works good not slow not get stucked, connection is great actually this was the notorius side what i was fearing of...
Cons: audio uses aux, when you want to go back to original evo interface it can be stucked and there is no way to reset the device this is really ridicilous, the seller from aliexpress did not help me with this issue
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      08-01-2019, 04:02 AM   #20
Vince M3
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Totally agree with you. The audio part and the interface controls are really correct (audio quality is the same as the original NBT... IMO I don't see any difference). If only it was possible to change the resolution config. to match the half of the screen with sharp resolution, I should be half-satisfied... But they can't sell this product saying that it is compatible with 8.8"/10.2" displays... It is totally lying... :-P
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 04:03 AM   #21
Vince M3
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedozz View Post
Pros: same audio quality with the original evo and same resolution (6.5"), the processor is fine it works good not slow not get stucked, connection is great actually this was the notorius side what i was fearing of...
Cons: audio uses aux, when you want to go back to original evo interface it can be stucked and there is no way to reset the device this is really ridicilous, the seller from aliexpress did not help me with this issue
Do you have a 6.5" or 8.8" ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:46 AM   #22
Creedozz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedozz View Post
Do you have a 6.5" or 8.8" ? Thanks
Appreciate 0