F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > How can I fix this bumper/hood gap?
ARMA SPEED

12-25-2022, 07:34 AM   #1
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

How can I fix this bumper/hood gap?

Hi all

I seem to be suffering from this dreaded bumper / hood gap on my F32. If you look below on the corners where the hood meets the bumper, you can see some mislaingment.

I had tried unscrewing and moving about the corner T25 screws that hold down the bumper at the top, but not had any luck - it doesn't seem to make any positive difference.

What do you suggest I do?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #2
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Try removing all the bumper screws at the top and reposition your entire bumper except for the left most screw just loosen that one so the bumper can freely move but stays mostly in position on the left side. The screws on the left side of the bumper are probably preventing the right side from moving when only the right side screws are removed. Once you have it positioned as you want it, tighten the left outer screw and right outer screw to keep it in the desired position. Then tighten the inner screws. I'm assuming this misalignment occurred when the aftermarket headlights were installed? This should work since I'm assuming your fenders and hood were never removed. The screws at the top of the bumper, pay attention to the dirty/clean outline of where the screws were positioned that will help you align it to where it was originally.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 05:24 PM   #3
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Try removing all the bumper screws at the top and reposition your entire bumper except for the left most screw just loosen that one so the bumper can freely move but stays mostly in position on the left side. The screws on the left side of the bumper are probably preventing the right side from moving when only the right side screws are removed. Once you have it positioned as you want it, tighten the left outer screw and right outer screw to keep it in the desired position. Then tighten the inner screws. I'm assuming this misalignment occurred when the aftermarket headlights were installed? This should work since I'm assuming your fenders and hood were never removed. The screws at the top of the bumper, pay attention to the dirty/clean outline of where the screws were positioned that will help you align it to where it was originally.
Thanks so much. I had a good play round and followed what you said but I just couldnt get that right hand side aligned no matter how much I keep playing with the top bolts.

Could it be possible that the inner most headlight bolt (accessing it behind the fender liner) needs to be adjusted so the headlight is sitting up higher? I think there is some room for adjustment there and maybe the guy who installed my custom headlights didn't screw the inner most headlight bolt in the same way it was originally positioned..
Appreciate 1
R$28i60.50
      12-25-2022, 05:42 PM   #4
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam_440i View Post
Thanks so much. I had a good play round and followed what you said but I just couldnt get that right hand side aligned no matter how much I keep playing with the top bolts.

Could it be possible that the inner most headlight bolt (accessing it behind the fender liner) needs to be adjusted so the headlight is sitting up higher? I think there is some room for adjustment there and maybe the guy who installed my custom headlights didn't screw the inner most headlight bolt in the same way it was originally positioned..
No prob. Yeah I'd give that a shot that's the only thing that has changed that could be causing the misalignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 11:39 AM   #5
R$28i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive

My car has a slight bumper misalignment as well and pretty sure it’s the headlight placement from a previous replacement where they didn’t take the time to get it on the brackets right. Haven’t taken the time to get in there yet though. BMW quoted me 600 to realign it LOL
2018 440i X-Dr GC LOADED MPPSK (Blk)

NY/DMV Based
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 09:10 PM   #6
keithyo88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i msport rwd

I took the entire bumper off my 340i m sport and noticed that I it looked different after I put it back. let's face it, the entire design is a bit strange, to have the hood so dependent on alignment on a front bumper that is quite moveable. I think your car looks great. forgetaboutit
Appreciate 0