F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bmw f30 drilled grooved brake discs
Extreme Powerhouse

07-07-2019, 06:24 AM   #23
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@stratford View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The only viable ways of improving braking performance is better pads and new brake fluid, if your current fluid is old.

Or of course a BBK, if your pockets are very deep.
So what pads would you and Nisfan recommend?
It depends what you want, is it just fast road use or track use as well? Do you just want more fade resistance, or better initial bite as well?

I had Ferodo DS Performance pads and they were much more fade resistant than oem, but had similar initial bite. DS2500 have better initial bite but aren't technically road legal because the initial bite exceeds the limits, although I've never heard of anyone falling foul of this.

For track use you should probably look at the Pagid RS range.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #24
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@stratford View Post

So what pads would you and Nisfan recommend?
For daily road use, I can only really give advice on what I've used on F30, and that is EBC Yellowstuff. They are ECE R90 approved, so fully road legal and does ok on track days. Can squeal a little but not generally and the squeal point is usually at a particular pedal pressure. Ease off or increase pressure and you avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #25
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
For daily road use, I can only really give advice on what I've used on F30, and that is EBC Yellowstuff. They are ECE R90 approved, so fully road legal and does ok on track days. Can squeal a little but not generally and the squeal point is usually at a particular pedal pressure. Ease off or increase pressure and you avoid it.
A lot of forum members have been very unimpressed with the YellowStuff, and all EBC pads in fact.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #26
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
A lot of forum members have been very unimpressed with the YellowStuff, and all EBC pads in fact.
Yes 15 years ago. Pad materials change, people's views don't.

A number of people on here have tried Yellowstuff on BMW F3x and I'm pretty sure everyone gave a positive review, as a fast road pad.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #27
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes 15 years ago. Pad materials change, people's views don't.

A number of people on here have tried Yellowstuff on BMW F3x and I'm pretty sure everyone gave a positive review, as a fast road pad.
No, in the past few years.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No, in the past few years.
I set the fastest lap time for a diesel car at Bedford 'how fast' - 1:29.7. Full weight F30 330d, stock M Sport brakes with Yellowstuff pads. Faster than some M cars and other performance cars. You can't do that on substandard pads.

Good enough for you?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #29
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I'm just sharing relevant information. Tengocity said they only gave about half a lap extra than oem, and at least one other person said theirs started to disintegrate after a track session.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:07 AM   #30
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm just sharing relevant information. Tengocity said they only gave about half a lap extra than oem, and at least one other person said theirs started to disintegrate after a track session.
Yellowstuff aren't a race track pad, they are EBC's ECE R90 approved product. A road pad.
Please do tell me which ECE R90 pads would perform better on track?

I only referenced the lap time as an indicator that it can cut the mustard when pushed for a short stint and in my opinion performed much better than BMW stock pads. Again I have experience of those on track.
Would I recommend Yellowstuff, or any ECE R90 compliant pads for a serious track day stint? Absolutely not!
For that you want Ferodo DS UNO. However those are not suitable for street use at all. No ECE90 compliance, no brake sensor mounts, no anti squeal weights, no anti clunk shims, expensive, probably screw stability control due to high friction characteristics etc etc. race car only.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #31
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I had yellow stuffs on my 335d. They were great on the road, certainly better than OEM. On track they weren't much better at resisting fade than OEM though.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #32
motoring_101
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D X-drive

Quote:

DS2500 have better initial bite but aren't technically road legal because the initial bite exceeds the limits, although I've never heard of anyone falling foul of this.
HI,

Could you please elaborate on this more? I have a set of DS2500 in my garage waiting to be fitted. (Car was in for re-call and BMW "Complimentary Health Check" said 3mm remaining, turns out there is actually 8mm remaining!)

Looking forward to trying them, more so following your comments that initial bite exceeds the limits!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #33
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:
DS2500 have better initial bite but aren't technically road legal because the initial bite exceeds the limits, although I've never heard of anyone falling foul of this.

I've never heard this before, I've had DS2500 on several cars and my mechanic never mentioned illegality of having these pads - never picked up on MOT's either (not that MOT testers are likely to pick up on pad brands generally).
      07-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #34
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
Quote:

I've never heard this before, I've had DS2500 on several cars and my mechanic never mentioned illegality of having these pads - never picked up on MOT's either (not that MOT testers are likely to pick up on pad brands generally).
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoring_101 View Post
Quote:

HI,

Could you please elaborate on this more? I have a set of DS2500 in my garage waiting to be fitted. (Car was in for re-call and BMW "Complimentary Health Check" said 3mm remaining, turns out there is actually 8mm remaining!)

Looking forward to trying them, more so following your comments that initial bite exceeds the limits!!
DS2500's don't have ECE R90 compliance, so technically they're not road legal. But as I say, I've never heard of anyone falling foul of this. I believe they're not compliant because their friction level is too high, I guess this means you could stop too fast for the vehicle behind to avoid hitting you.

On Ferodo's site they listed as track pads only:

https://www.ferodoracing.com/product...e-pads/ds2500/
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #35
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

You learn something new everyday!