F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > UPDATE JULY 2019 - My initial thoughts on the Golf GTI (for those who asked)
ARMA SPEED

07-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #111
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
My Mrs is getting her Tiguan delivered this Saturday.

We went for the 1.5 Tsi EVO 150 R Line Tech 5dr DSG

It will be a bit of a step up in size of car from the her Audi A1! The ever growing 8 month old labrador has forced the move.

Tempted myself to go an all out VW family and get a GTi. Thanks for the great reviews.
Always like the look of the Tiguans when I see them on the roads... I like how they are pretty much under the radar when compared to the SUV's from some other manufacturers... and great value...
Apologies for hijacking the GTi thread but the Mrs new Tiguan got delivered this morning.

We are both absolutely loving it. The 1.5 petrol cylinder on demand petrol engine is an absolute peach coupled with the DSG. Surprisingly great performace for a reasonably big car and it feels great to drive.

The level of tech on the 'R-Line Tech' model is fantastic. Its the first car I have purchased with out having to spec a single opition.

Another happy VW customer here!
Attached Images

DaveA1794.50
      07-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #112
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Such a good looking car the Tiguan R Line.
Appreciate 1
DaveA1794.50
      07-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #113
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My Mrs is getting her Tiguan delivered this Saturday.

We went for the 1.5 Tsi EVO 150 R Line Tech 5dr DSG

It will be a bit of a step up in size of car from the her Audi A1! The ever growing 8 month old labrador has forced the move.

Tempted myself to go an all out VW family and get a GTi. Thanks for the great reviews.
Always like the look of the Tiguans when I see them on the roads... I like how they are pretty much under the radar when compared to the SUV's from some other manufacturers... and great value...
Apologies for hijacking the GTi thread but the Mrs new Tiguan got delivered this morning.

We are both absolutely loving it. The 1.5 petrol cylinder on demand petrol engine is an absolute peach coupled with the DSG. Surprisingly great performace for a reasonably big car and it feels great to drive.

The level of tech on the 'R-Line Tech' model is fantastic. Its the first car I have purchased with out having to spec a single opition.

That looks really nice... another white VW, also... ;-)

I should have my wifi thingy tomorrow, so I shall report back on how effective that is for the online CarNet stuff...

The We Connect and My VW apps are worth downloading... also there is a VW downloader for your computer to update the satnav (if yours is on SD card, that is)....
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #114
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Exactly the wingle I went for and is sitting in my office, just need the car! There’s loads of Tiguan users using that setup and rate it highly.
So, I have my Wingle up and running now.. A few hiccoughs, though....

When I first registered the SIM in the device and online with 3, it did not attract the free data allowance for some reason, so I contacted support using the online chat feature and they got some data added and (they say) the 200 free MB's should just add now every month... It is possibly easier to set up everything relating to the SIM in a smartphone first...

The Huawei app would not log in to manage the device's settings once I had changed the default login details... I can still use the browser interface, however, so it's not the end of the world... As far as I can tell, the app does not have anything the browser interface does not, so I shall simply delete it...

The 12v socket in the Golf's boot does not allow the device to sit quite flush when using a straight through 12v to USB adaptor, so the device will be in the line to be knocked by taller bags etc... Might have to look for one that allows devices to be at an angle...

But it does now all seem to fire up and connect to the VW as intended... and I was able to get the online traffic data right away as my CarNet was already set up....
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
SkyJawa3687.50
      07-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #115
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

So tempted with one for the Mrs, I absolutely love the golf.

I’d get the manuel though, the Mercedes is an auto and I fancy a stick for a bit of fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #116
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:

How do you find the seats ? The one i test drove i felt were not that comfortable or supportive?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #117
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post

I’d get the manuel though, the Mercedes is an auto and I fancy a stick for a bit of fun.
I don't think you can order the manual GTI any more... There are pre-owned ones, of course, but they are not on the configurator now...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #118
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think you can order the manual GTI any more... There are pre-owned ones, of course, but they are not on the configurator now...
Must be stock somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #119
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Some pretty decent lease deals in the last few days but only on the manual 3 door Performance Pack cars. Great option if a 3 door suits.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #120
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Must be stock somewhere.
Unless you're going to wait and see what they do with the Mk8, then I think that would be your only option if you do not want pre-owned, but I have no idea what stocks are like... What I also don't know is whether or not this lack of manual is linked to the next phase of their meeting the new emissions thing... and so if there are any left, whether or not these might be the last of the manual cars..???

Suggest you make enquiries quick if you are after a manual car...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #121
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Some pretty decent lease deals in the last few days but only on the manual 3 door Performance Pack cars. Great option if a 3 door suits.
There is only the "performance" level version now (unless you go for the TCR) and any new ones ordered now would all be 5-door (according to the configurator - anyway), so suspect these are the remaining stock cars ready to go...
Appreciate 1
JustChris17427.50
      07-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #122
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
There is only the "performance" level version now (unless you go for the TCR) and any new ones ordered now would all be 5-door (according to the configurator - anyway), so suspect these are the remaining stock cars ready to go...
Correct, not sure where the 3 door would be from date wise?
      07-17-2019, 04:50 AM   #123
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Yes they are last of the batch. Think they are June registered. No more 3 doors and likely manual may also go for the Mk 8
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #124
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Thought I would offer a quick update now I am 14/15 weeks or so into ownership of the GTI....

Overall, the car still represents (I think) great value for money and (especially with the mk7.5 run out models offering such a very high level of standard specification)...

Reliable, stylish, tons of fun when you want to have a bit of a play, yet you can get 50mpg averages out of it (yup, that's not a typo) when you do the motorway pootles that form part of general life... I also love how I now simply blend in to the general flow (which I never felt with the BMW, in which I felt folk sometimes went out of the way to impede me)...

Now I have spent time with the car, the areas in which the budget has been trimmed (over more expensive cars) are starting to become a little clearer...

Most of these are actually not an issue, and many (passengers etc) would struggle to actually notice any... but one that does affect the driver, particularly, is a seat that is "only" adjustable 3 ways... The impact of this, for me, right now, is I am struggling a little to find a driving position that I am 100% with... I always feel I am like 90% of the way there with a seating position...

Perhaps if the steering wheel might come out a little further in the adjustment, that could help, also...

But, it's how they are and it's not that I am uncomfortable, just that a tad more adjustment would be welcome...

The previous 1-er, even with deals, was more expensive than a Golf to the same spec and I think something like a 6-way adjustable seat is partly why... But, to be fair, even the BMW sports seat is compromised in having fairly large gaps between its adjustment settings (and the electric seats didn't seem to go down as low for my liking)... I always wanted a seat back and a front height that was between two notches... The VW does at least have a winder for the recline setting...

Other than the driving position, my original concerns about noise around the sunroof etc were simply solved by the gummipfledge...

VW dealer here has been wonderful in after-care and sorting out a couple of things. Top class, in my opinion.
Appreciate 5
AndyMD329.00
F20MAW73874.50
Scoobyd1933.50