F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Rattle From Engine help!
Extreme Powerhouse

05-28-2019, 05:56 AM   #1
Matthi1
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 420d xdrive

Rattle From Engine help!

Hi guys,

First post here, I bought a 420d (my first bmw) and an overall very happy with it. However I know the engine in these cars is a little noisy anyway but I've got a metallic rattling noise from the right hand side of the engine bay when looking from the front. It's noticeable when at low revs and low speed from inside the cabin. Or you can here it with the bonnet open at idle. Is this normal, has anyone had any issues like this before? It's a 2014 model so has the older engine. Any help would be great, as to whether I should take it back to the dealer or not.

This is a video clip you can faintly here the rattling noise from it

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

The 20d four pots are well known for timing chain failure which, if it goes, causes serious engine damage. Hard to tell from the video but strongly suggest you get it checked.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
adamastor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

I have exactly the same question and while the engine sounds a bit different, the rattling seems very similar.
My model is 320d F30 from 2012, with N47 163 bhp.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
wicked510
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive

That doesn't sound like timing chain. Get it checked out at your Indy mechanic.

Sounds almost electrical. Is the engine cover secured into the two rubber tabs in the back? Heat shield on properly?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
RJR82
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 318d

In my opinion a timing chain would move too slow on tickover to make that fast ticking sound, to me it sounds like metal vibrating against something or the vacuum pump! 🤔
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
smaB
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 420D

Same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthi1 View Post
Hi guys,

First post here, I bought a 420d (my first bmw) and an overall very happy with it. However I know the engine in these cars is a little noisy anyway but I've got a metallic rattling noise from the right hand side of the engine bay when looking from the front. It's noticeable when at low revs and low speed from inside the cabin. Or you can here it with the bonnet open at idle. Is this normal, has anyone had any issues like this before? It's a 2014 model so has the older engine. Any help would be great, as to whether I should take it back to the dealer or not.

This is a video clip you can faintly here the rattling noise from it

Matt
I've had a similar issue - an unknown sound from my 2014 N47T, however, my sound appears to come from the right rear of the car from inside the cabin.

I recently had the EGR replacement and while at the local dealer, I had the engineer take a ride to listen out for it - he also was not sure. I have yet to return my car to get this checked out, but, I have had no issues with power, braking, turnover, etc.

I suggest having a certified dealership take a look as I've spent too long trying to find answers online - our cars could all have different issues and as machines, they WILL eventually make odd noises, some dangerous and others not so much. Best to be safe.

Safe journeys!
Appreciate 0