F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F31 320d - Drivetrain malfunction
ARMA SPEED

07-02-2019, 02:31 AM   #1
Deequeue
Rep
Drives: 2012 F31 320d, 2008 Audi TT

F31 320d - Drivetrain malfunction

Hi All,

2012 F31 320d, hoping for a little advice here.

Sunday afternoon under heavy load up a hill, the car sounded like it misfired and threw a "Drivetrain Malfunction. Possible to continue journey at a moderate pace. Full performance not available"

As we were 60 odd miles out we drove home - apart from a severe lack of power, the car was driveable, but a couple of miles out from home the car started to lurch occasionally on a steady throttle. As we got home with surrounding buildings it was possible to hear noticeable intake noise from the car.

Got home, the car is throwing a P2279 Intake air system leak. Opened the bonnet and found the PCV vent pipe is brittle and has snapped at the air intake end. Also have oil vapour all over the front end, and the pipe itself is pretty messy.

So, pick up a new vent pipe yesterday, and fit it. I tried to clear the DTC's using ESYS (I'm currently clearing space on my laptop to install ISTA+) but the DTC's wont clear.

On top of the P2279 I now also have a P0101 MAF sensor circuit range / performance error - which I understand can be caused as a result of the 2279. I've pulled the MAF and cleaned it, as I know excess oil can cause an issue with them. Still same issue, and again the DTCs will not clear.

The error on the dash now reads Drivetrain malfunction, Service check soon.

I pulled the main pipe from the filter to turbo to check for leaks / breaks and couldnt see any - I plan to pull the intake side and check the charge pipes too, but I cant hear a telltale hissing from it.

Any ideas on as to why the DTC's will not clear? Is it worth me pulling the battery for 30 mins, or is there something else other than selecting the Clear DTC option and "send" I have to do with Transmitter?

Also tried clearing with a generic OBD2 reader and that also didnt work.

TIA
Dale
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
Deequeue
Rep

So, that escalated quickly.....

Got ISTA working and did some diagnostics on the car - ended up hearing the intake noise again, and took a bit more care about where I stuck my head, and found a huge positive air leak at the bumper mouth.

Its blown the end tank off the intercooler..... :/
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deequeue View Post
So, that escalated quickly.....

[IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/HCz6TkKEwVMW5n6S7[/IMG]

Got ISTA working and did some diagnostics on the car - ended up hearing the intake noise again, and took a bit more care about where I stuck my head, and found a huge positive air leak at the bumper mouth.

Its blown the end tank off the intercooler..... :/
The picture doesn't show but At least you got it figured out! Welding time, or time for an intercooler upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Possible that the pcv pipe broke due to severe vibrations from the intercooler leak. Otherwise, keep sleuthing for a underlying issue.

Additionally, you should have been able to get the codes to clear if engine off. Of course they would come back immediately upon restart, but that gives you some information to work from.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 01:52 AM   #5
Deequeue
Rep

Thanks guys,

Alpine - the PCV pipe was incredibly brittle - the parts guy at the local BMW dealer said its a common failure point - hopefully thats the lot, but at the same point, it went with a hell of a bang, so I could see why the pressure release would do that.

I've managed to persuade the better half that an upgrade / ally intercooler is definitely the better option as the end tanks on the OE cooler are plastic and crimped on...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, that pcv pipe is definitely very brittle. Mine snapped in several places when I removed the turbo pipes the first time. I'll have to order another at some point to go back to stock, but I just ended up replacing it with AN fuel line and installing a catch can. It does seem to keep a few oz of oil out of the intake every oil change.

Didn't know the intercooler was plastic, haven't ever removed it. Sounds like definitely upgrade time!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:41 AM   #7
sd101
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Transmission - continue journey at moderate speed

Hi,

New here - been getting a somewhat similar (?) error from time to time on my 2012 F31 320d (didn't manage to find a thread dealing with my problem)

"Transmission. Continue journey at a moderate speed. Operate parking brake when stationary. Gear may be engaged without braking"

This has happened at really inconsistent times - when driving high speed, when driving moderately through the city, and also when just waiting at red light.

Haven't really noticed any changes in any sound patterns or driving feel, so I've largely been ignoring this thing.

Any ideas what this might be and is this something I should worry about?

Many thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #8
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd101 View Post
Hi,

New here - been getting a somewhat similar (?) error from time to time on my 2012 F31 320d (didn't manage to find a thread dealing with my problem)

"Transmission. Continue journey at a moderate speed. Operate parking brake when stationary. Gear may be engaged without braking"

This has happened at really inconsistent times - when driving high speed, when driving moderately through the city, and also when just waiting at red light.

Haven't really noticed any changes in any sound patterns or driving feel, so I've largely been ignoring this thing.

Any ideas what this might be and is this something I should worry about?

Many thanks!
The transmission error / drivetrain malfunction codes are generic. You really have to get the codes pulled at the dealer or by someone with a copy of ISTA and a laptop. I got that code a few times before my transfer case went out. There weren't any driveability issues until it just completely failed. I would definitely suggest having it checked. It could also be something minor, like a sensor, just no way to tell without hooking it up.
Appreciate 0