F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
GetBMWParts

01-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #2003
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
2. Modify the mic to disable active noise cancelling, then it can be just plugged in and used as an ordinary mic. I'm considering doing this now. Instructions can be found here.
That's a useful information. I'm not planning to do that myself, but knowing how OEM mic is built will save me a lot of time... when I eventually get to this point. I think I'll just look for a better mic to replace what comes with these units and report back here.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:41 PM   #2004
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
I don't quite understand why this is difficult for CD/Media and Radio buttons, since they managed to re-program the other five iDrive buttons. I think the Chinese just left out CD and Radio because the Android units don't have CD and radio. Perhaps you had in mind a solution we could come up with, that would be difficult, yes. We just need to convince the Chinese engineers how brilliant it would be to link Radio to a DAB app and CD/Media to a music app, all user selectable, of cource.
They did not reprogram the other buttons,this is not possible.
When you are at the Android system and move the controller they just send permanentely CAN Messages to factory HU to go to the splitscreen menu.
I did a testvideo that show`s this some time ago, you can check it here.

So while you are pressing all other buttons, audio input won`t change so don`t recognize this behaviour.
But with Radio/CD it would change, so you would notice that, and i bet on, when they would implement the Radio/CD buttons for sure people would complain about that short audio switching.
So the better solution for them is to not implement it at all.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #2005
elnino72
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
For me it does work most time, but the feature at all seems to only work when the Power was off at least one minute to let the Android System shut down.
when you shut your car off and immediately on again, it does not work.

I`ve tested this, yes this seems to not work (sound and Equalizer), even when you change the valuse at Factory_config.
something which has to be reported to the chinese.
the over all loudness issue when booting is already known, there is a workaround using tasker to start and close the default music app.

Sorry, i don`t get it what you mean by "night mode" can you show me a picture ?

The drivers have been changed nearly every version, but sometimes only the hash values have changed not real sourcecode.

haywire ?
you have reconfigured your settings at factory settings again ?

If issues occur after updating, its always the best to performe a Factory Reset installation procedure.

Kri
Yes I reset everything but the only solution that solved it was having 3.8 but with the old MCU, I don't know if it is necessary to update the MCU?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 12:30 AM   #2006
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino72 View Post
Yes I reset everything but the only solution that solved it was having 3.8 but with the old MCU, I don't know if it is necessary to update the MCU?
when everything does work with your MCU its all fine

Changes to MCU are not known as the code hasn`t been reverse engineered yet.
It`s always a guess if it will become better or worse, but in theory a new update does fit better to a new Software version.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:37 AM   #2007
copeal
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 530I E60

Quote:
I concluded that we have two options for using the oem mic:

1. This mic has electronics (for active noise cancelling) which needs to be powered. Someone did this years ago, but the needed pictures is now lacking from the DIY, but discussion can be found here.

2. Modify the mic to disable active noise cancelling, then it can be just plugged in and used as an ordinary mic. I'm considering doing this now. Instructions can be found here.

The oem mic won't work without the right power, I tried it.

Is this the oem mic, or if not, what mic is it / where did you buy it?
Hello, i don't remember where i bought the mic but it's very normal, i connect it with jack conector to android unit.

Best Regards
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:07 AM   #2008
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeal View Post
Hello, i don't remember where i bought the mic but it's very normal, i connect it with jack conector to android unit.

Best Regards
Unfortunately my unit doesn't have jack input for external mic.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:43 AM   #2009
kenza750
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 525d E61

Quote:
Feature: enable/disable switch for Android built in Bluetooth !, great if you are still using car factory BT and have troubles with stable connection.[/COLOR]
I don't understand this option. There always was an option in factory-settings menu where you can choose between the Android BT-module or OEM BT? Or is this new feature something else?

I am using factory BT for phonecalls but I use Android BT for streaming audio (I don't have BT streaming on my E61 2007)

Quote:
Feature: Seatbelt warning Icon at Dashboard app
I had the seatbelt icon in the Dashboard app from v2.5.1 already (red icon when seatbelt is not on). Or do you mean something else?

Much appreciated you shared the v3.8.0. I installed it without any issues
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:46 AM   #2010
kenza750
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 525d E61

can somebody share their own SPLASH.IMG files? I had the "BMW Connected" logo before, but as I updated my factory_config.xml it was replaced by the "Connected" image. I didn't realize there was a splash.img file in the OEM folder

I would like to have the BMW Connected image back
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:03 AM   #2011
Xanderl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Is there a navigation System on the App Store who i can Control with idrive ? 😬😬
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:17 AM   #2012
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 420d G.C Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenza750 View Post
can somebody share their own SPLASH.IMG files? I had the "BMW Connected" logo before, but as I updated my factory_config.xml it was replaced by the "Connected" image. I didn't realize there was a splash.img file in the OEM folder

I'm interested too
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #2013
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep

Also, can anyone fix the navigation sound bug?
Whenever I open Android navigation, my OEM sound stops working from my left speaker and only the Android sound works
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #2014
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Did any one of you manage to replace / reinstall KswPLauncher.apk after some modifications? I've tried to do that locally on head unit with no luck so far. I know there is an adb command to reinstall system app but didn't try that yet. Would that work?

Last edited by RedErik; 01-13-2020 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #2015
endursa
hardware modder
Rep
Drives: BMW f20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Did any one of you manage to replace / reinstall KswPLauncher.apk after some modifications? I've tried to do that locally on head unit with no luck so far. I know there is an adb command to reinstall system app but didn't try that yet. Would that work?
fro that to work you need to resign the apk after modification. Also your unit needs to be rooted, so you can remove the original apk from /system/app (or /system/priv-app, not sure where it is placed) and then you can use a modified version.

Also if you want to modify code, and not only assets (images) you need to deodex your system, so the prebuild cache can be remade properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #2016
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand this option. There always was an option in factory-settings menu where you can choose between the Android BT-module or OEM BT? Or is this new feature something else?

I am using factory BT for phonecalls but I use Android BT for streaming audio (I don't have BT streaming on my E61 2007)
The issue is that, even when you select Car BT at factory settings, the Android BT Module is still active and can cause connection issues Between your Smartphone and Car BT.
The new "BT" switch, does disable Android BT module completely to not interference with the Car BT anymore.

Quote:

I attached the Splashimages 1-7 from Update 3.0.8 below.

How to install:

* Unzip and copy your desired IMG File to your thumbdrive into a folder called "OEM"
* Rename the File to splash.img
* let the Unit boot up completely and insert the Thumbdrive.
* Wait a Minute -> Remove the Thumbdrive -> Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantio View Post
Also, can anyone fix the navigation sound bug?
Whenever I open Android navigation, my OEM sound stops working from my left speaker and only the Android sound works
What Unit/ Original Unit do you have, and how is your Sound Connected, AUX or USB ?

Quote:
where you able to signature your new apk file ?
If the File won`t work your unit does stuck at boot and shows no Start screen anymore.
You can send me the file , i`ll do some testing, i know how to unbrick the unit then

Kri
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip splash1-3_1280_480.zip (333.0 KB, 1517 views)
File Type: zip splash4-7_1280_480.zip (400.5 KB, 1027 views)
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #2017
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by endursa View Post
fro that to work you need to resign the apk after modification. Also your unit needs to be rooted, so you can remove the original apk from /system/app (or /system/priv-app, not sure where it is placed) and then you can use a modified version.

Also if you want to modify code, and not only assets (images) you need to deodex your system, so the prebuild cache can be remade properly.
I'm using APK Editor to replace some images and layout files. Apparently APK Editor does sign apk files after modification. Unit is rooted but never occurred to me to remove original app.

Quote:
If the File won`t work your unit does stuck at boot and shows no Start screen anymore.
You can send me the file , i`ll do some testing, i know how to unbrick the unit then

Kri
Here it is Kri. Should be fine but thanks for having a look!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #2018
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The issue is that, even when you select Car BT at factory settings, the Android BT Module is still active and can cause connection issues Between your Smartphone and Car BT.
The new "BT" switch, does disable Android BT module completely to not interference with the Car BT anymore.

I attached the Splashimages 1-7 from Update 3.0.8 below.

How to install:

* Unzip and copy your desired IMG File to your thumbdrive into a folder called "OEM"
* Rename the File to splash.img
* let the Unit boot up completely and insert the Thumbdrive.
* Wait a Minute -> Remove the Thumbdrive -> Done

What Unit/ Original Unit do you have, and how is your Sound Connected, AUX or USB ?

Kri
I have the NBT Snapdragon unit 9.0 for F36 with aux
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #2019
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
I'm using APK Editor to replace some images and layout files. Apparently APK Editor does sign apk files after modification. Unit is rooted but never occurred to me to remove original app.

Here it is Kri. Should be fine but thanks for having a look!
I tried it it does not load, so probably the signature does not work ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantio View Post
I have the NBT Snapdragon unit 9.0 for F36 with aux
Which navigation software have your tried ? is this behavior also with google maps ?
Or is it as soon as you switch to the Android GUI

Kri
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #2020
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I tried it it does not load, so probably the signature does not work ?
Well... now I've tried with a proper tool (apksigner), created certificate, signed file, aligned, verified... and verification failed.

Here is new file, but I doubt it will work. Don't quite understand why when modified apk file is slightly bigger than original, during verification process everything above original size fails...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #2021
twoface
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D

Quote:
Just to report that I modified CenterService.apk and replaced it in /system/priv-app. I restarted the unit, it worked for 30 seconds, and then rebooted to recovery saying that system is corrupted.

Maybe I needed to do something more, I didn't deodex system. I'm not familiar with android area.

For signing the modified apk with test keys, I used
https://github.com/patrickfav/uber-apk-signer

Last edited by twoface; 01-13-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #2022
iCstyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Hi! I'm using PX6 unit for CCC.

Is there a way to make steering wheel controls (next and prev buttons) work in any app like Spotify or HUR? Right now they only work through built-in apps or DAB-Z or over Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #2023
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Well... now I've tried with a proper tool (apksigner), created certificate, signed file, aligned, verified... and verification failed.

Here is new file, but I doubt it will work. Don't quite understand why when modified apk file is slightly bigger than original, during verification process everything above original size fails...
hmm, also won`t work

Kri
Appreciate 1
RedErik1023.50
      01-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #2024
Pondaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:

I modified the smali code of BtSuite.apk successfully and I think it is a system app, isn't it?
I just had to install Lucky Patcher to disable signature verification so I could install the modified app on top of the old app as an update.
Appreciate 0