F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
Studio RSR

06-11-2018, 04:12 AM   #243
steve498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I drove yesterday for 6 hours and did not experience a no signal once. Perhaps people's connections aren't fully in?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:29 AM   #244
florinbrv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve498 View Post
I drove yesterday for 6 hours and did not experience a no signal once. Perhaps people's connections aren't fully in?
Could be... I remember it was really hard to fully insert the cable into the unit
When you hear a click sound, only then the cable is fully inserted...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:32 AM   #245
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Another thing that you could take a look is the pins of the unit. Since it is so difficult to connect the harness it is possible that the pins on the unit could be bend and not inserted at all into the plug. It is an issue that i had in my AVIN unit .
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:32 AM   #246
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

I dont know. The unit displays no signal sometimes and shutting it down and starting it again in 15mins resolves it. Nothing happened to the cables in between.
I still cant find a reason why it normally works but sometimes doesnt... its not repeatable...
It did work this morning (adjusted the sleep setting yesterday) so will see if it keeps working now but I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:35 AM   #247
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
I dont know. The unit displays no signal sometimes and shutting it down and starting it again in 15mins resolves it. Nothing happened to the cables in between.
I still cant find a reason why it normally works but sometimes doesnt... its not repeatable...
It did work this morning (adjusted the sleep setting yesterday) so will see if it keeps working now but I doubt it.
The 15 minutes are not necessary as the MCU configuration shuts the unit down in 30 seconds after ignition is off.
So why 15 minutes. At list that was the configuration with AVIN unit and i think that is the same unless they changed something.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #248
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
The 15 minutes are not necessary as the MCU configuration shuts the unit down in 30 seconds after ignition is off.
So why 15 minutes. At list that was the configuration with AVIN unit and i think that is the same unless they changed something.
yeah, its just an example of my experience with the unit.
It will probably be 30 secs indeed
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #249
uluvsg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34 2013

Quote:

Hello DRuw, how did you change sleep setting?

Are you talking about "Stay Awake" while charging option or is there another option that we need to look at?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:49 AM   #250
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluvsg View Post
Hello DRuw, how did you change sleep setting?

Are you talking about "Stay Awake" while charging option or is there another option that we need to look at?

Thanks!
nope, thats the setting I changed.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #251
uluvsg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
Is MCU configuration set to specific car model? (e.g. NBT F3X or F10 8.8/10.25" like this?)

Probably, "No signal" issue is caused by different MCU setting for different car models thus my android is not booted as it doesn't get booting signal when ignition on and unit keep displaying "No signal" on screen.

I have a GAP at the left hand side of IDRIVE screen (Android is fine).

[IMG]https://ibb.co/bMeJa8[/IMG]

And when I change car type setting to CCC 8.8/10.25"

the entire is screen is filled but screen is too bright on IDRIVE (android is fine) and brightness is not adjustable on IDRIVE side.

We only have 3 NBT options which is for F48/58 8.8/10.25" screen.

[IMG]https://ibb.co/d8uUho[/IMG]

I think we need more MCU settings for each car model (e.g. F30, F10, G10) and navigation type (e.g. CCC / NBT) if MCU is configuration setting for how android unit send/receive data from OEM HEAD unit?

Please see attached picture for details. Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #252
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2015

what attached picture ?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #253
chp10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31

I also have the "No Signal" Error. I asked Louie to help me to solve the issue. As it seems it is a software problem as he said they are working on a software update an will publish it asap.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 07:52 AM   #254
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp10 View Post
I also have the "No Signal" Error. I asked Louie to help me to solve the issue. As it seems it is a software problem as he said they are working on a software update an will publish it asap.
SUPERB!
@ all others, if you have this issue as well, please send an email to Louie since possibly he can compare system setups and therefore check issues that way as well (and letting him know its a real issue with several people).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #255
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: -18 i3S, -10 E90 320ed

Hey guys, i found this info on why the units won't automatically connect to iPhone personal hotspot,

"Your phone will automatically stop broadcasting using Wi-Fi if you put your device to sleep or after 90 seconds elapse with no devices connected using Wi-Fi. You can start broadcasting your Wi-Fi network again by tapping Settings > Personal Hotspot.

Done by design to conserve battery."

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Supersprint Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #256
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Since I regigged main harness I have zero problems with no signal, funny Druw mentioned no sleep as this is the first thing I did in development settings alongside animation transition set all to 0x
I have no issues with hotspot either it connects automatically
the only snag is the brightness of the screen, its too bright when switching to Idrive but I think this could be solved in MCU update
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #257
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by losdamianos View Post
Since I regigged main harness I have zero problems with no signal, funny Druw mentioned no sleep as this is the first thing I did in development settings alongside animation transition set all to 0x
I have no issues with hotspot either it connects automatically
the only snag is the brightness of the screen, its too bright when switching to Idrive but I think this could be solved in MCU update
When did you rerig the harness and how many starts did you do since?
You really think it could be a main harness issue?
What does the animation transition setting do?
Do you have the hotspot on wegen starting the can? Mine doesnt connect if i dont have it running before starting the unit.
It does connect, just not automatically..

Just thinking: it should be possible simulating the problem by loosening the unit, starting it and fiddling with the cable harness... unless its missing a startup pulse...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #258
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Heres my quick observation and simulation of the no signal issue
I started the movie when accessing the car so you also see the boot time. I switched from Idrive to Android as soon as the screen came up with the menu button.

Gmaps: sluggish
Waze: fine (it didnt load the route quickly but that was a first. normally its perfect)
Browsing: bit sluggish and for some reason it didnt load all photos.
Youtube, some weird ratio things (but logos in bottom of picure???)
And the issue of no signal.....

Please leave your thoughts

Last edited by DRuw; 06-11-2018 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #259
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
When did you rerig the harness and how many starts did you do since?
You really think it could be a main harness issue?
What does the animation transition setting do?
Do you have the hotspot on wegen starting the can? Mine doesnt connect if i dont have it running before starting the unit.
It does connect, just not automatically..

Just thinking: it should be possible simulating the problem by loosening the unit, starting it and fiddling with the cable harness... unless its missing a startup pulse...
5 starts since, each journey about 30mins,
Yes I really think connectors are not fully connected(well in my case at least)
animation transition set to zero eliminates all animations making things super fast, play with your android phone and you'll know what I mean

I have automate recipie to start hotspot as soon as it connects to my android head unit, and I have similar recipie on my headunit, as soon as it connects to my phone to manually connect to hotspot too

this is my main harness going to extension, clearly design flaw as you cannot fully connect it

View post on imgur.com

guys this is a very early days for this unit, there will be loads of improvements, those early stage bugs will eventually be ironed out dont panic

@Druw can you please post a link to your launcher
Thx
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #260
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by losdamianos View Post
this is my main harness going to extension, clearly design flaw as you cannot fully connect it
View post on imgur.com

@Druw can you please post a link to your launcher
Thx
I got a standard launcher thats selectable from the units config.
About the harness: did you push the wires to align the pins to get them proper?
I still dont get why its not 100% fail if the wires are not correctly in... either they work of dont I would say.
See my movie above, this couldnt be wiring right?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #261
chp10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31

I don't understand why the harness should cause the no signal error as the cpu/Android is build in the screen and should work as long as it have power, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #262
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

well in my case nbt unit was not getting any power, I could get into android but not original idrive
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #263
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

The no signal problem is not hardware, its software Avin have confirmed this.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #264
Ravijordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Hi guys just bought this unit which was supposed to be an upgrade from the Avin Android 4.4 but I’m having problems with it already, gmaps is crashing,tomtom loses gps connection but waze seems to be working ok at the moment and I’m getting a blank screen sometimes with lines going through it which I have to turn off the unit and restart it so do you guys think it’s software or hardware related ?
Appreciate 0