F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M2 Vs M4 Vs M4 Cab.
European Auto Source (EAS)

Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #23
ZeroFx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 430D M Sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I do high miles in my M4. 17k miles since August last year. I drive it hard whenever I can, and averaging 24.5mpg since then. Ranging from 7mpg on track to 35mpg on a steady run. Rears will last me about 15-16k at a guess and the fronts maybe low 20s. I don't think running costs are actually all that bad given the performance. If I'm going to do that many miles I'd rather do them in this than anything else.

It's hands down the best car I've ever had and worth every penny and more over a standard F30. I like convertibles but not 4 seater ones... just too heavy and compromised. I looked at M2 but wanted more upmarket interior and HUD, better leather etc. But you've just got to drive and go with your heart.
This was what i was hoping for. Running costs seem reasonable for an M car. Roads near me are pretty low on traffic and the A and B roads are not a bad drive out to the countryside. The Mrs now has a decent Polo for tootling around town which cuts down on the silly little trips down the shop etc. Its those trips are where MPG sucks and you kerb your alloys or have to park in tiny spaces.

If i dont do it now chances are i wont do it until M cars are self driving running on anti matter.

Ive run some numbers on depreciation and even if i finance it seems that it should never be in negative equity even using WBAC. So if im forced to bail out for some reason i wont catch a cold on it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:31 PM   #24
lethbridge
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [0.00]
I'd say you are getting significantly more car for your money with an F8x CP - which you pick is personal preference - you really want to go for full leather to lift the interior quality... consider an exhaust upgrade - MPE is fantastic, if you are looking pre OPF cars, completes the package and would justify going for a cab - trust me , you won't stop grinning... There was a recent thread on F8x forum on mpg with the 27mpg I get seeming to be a typical average in mixed use... I think you need to go CP and not the base model... The major svce is the only big ticket item apart from when you need to put an extended warranty on it...
      Today, 01:48 AM   #25
ZeroFx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
I'd say you are getting significantly more car for your money with an F8x CP - which you pick is personal preference - you really want to go for full leather to lift the interior quality... consider an exhaust upgrade - MPE is fantastic, if you are looking pre OPF cars, completes the package and would justify going for a cab - trust me , you won't stop grinning... There was a recent thread on F8x forum on mpg with the 27mpg I get seeming to be a typical average in mixed use... I think you need to go CP and not the base model... The major svce is the only big ticket item apart from when you need to put an extended warranty on it...
Have you had a quote for an extended warranty. I tend to go for 250 excess comprehensive without emergency services.

That big service is a huge ripoff I've been reading. Are there any tricks to avoid being stung?

Are opf cars ones with particle filters? When did they come in?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:00 AM   #26
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
Have you had a quote for an extended warranty. I tend to go for 250 excess comprehensive without emergency services.

That big service is a huge ripoff I've been reading. Are there any tricks to avoid being stung?

Are opf cars ones with particle filters? When did they come in?
They came in around summer 2018. I got a car ahead of that thankfully.

You should definitely go have a drive of coupe and check for yourself how it feels compared to the cab.

I'm not sure there's all that much you can do about the cost of the major service except not use a main dealer, or perhaps find one that will allow you to supply your own oil.
      Today, 03:55 AM   #27
ZeroFx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
They came in around summer 2018. I got a car ahead of that thankfully.

You should definitely go have a drive of coupe and check for yourself how it feels compared to the cab.

I'm not sure there's all that much you can do about the cost of the major service except not use a main dealer, or perhaps find one that will allow you to supply your own oil.
There is no requirement to use main dealers any more though is there even with insured warranty? I think i got told as long as equivalent quality parts were used and serviced on time even insured warranty would be fine?

I know now why the M2 fits where it does. 500 a month versus 700 a month is a big step up to a M4 CP unless you go budget on low spec M4 CP. Problem is that the M2 doesnt seem like much more car than the M240i other than in the looks department and they are running around 10-15k less than an M2 same age without all the running costs. But i wouldnt buy a 240i

I have a feeling the M lite next gen cars are going to fill a gap in the range in the 1, 2 3 & 4 series. 2.0T 306hp, low running costs are going to put a gap between M lite and M again. But M lite will be super cheap performance in the running cost department
Appreciate 0