F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Tesla Model Y
Studio RSR

10-15-2021, 04:23 AM   #23
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I can see the overall approach doesn't sit well with most BMW owners but to me I quite like the front ends now, quite Porsche like even.
There is a good reason why the Model S exterior design hasn't changed much in 10 years even with actually some reasonably changes, the shape/outline really was designed from the start for aero, and like Porsche I cannot see Tesla doing major design changes for the sake of it. At most you are going to see small changes over the years, the overall shape/style are pretty set.

The Y is going to sell really well, my only issue with it is the price, but that's because I've seen how much Tesla have pushed up their pricing over the years.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 04:34 AM   #24
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I can see the overall approach doesn't sit well with most BMW owners but to me I quite like the front ends now, quite Porsche like even.
There is a good reason why the Model S exterior design hasn't changed much in 10 years even with actually some reasonably changes, the shape/outline really was designed from the start for aero, and like Porsche I cannot see Tesla doing major design changes for the sake of it. At most you are going to see small changes over the years, the overall shape/style are pretty set.

The Y is going to sell really well, my only issue with it is the price, but that's because I've seen how much Tesla have pushed up their pricing over the years.
You're £70k ish X looks like an absolute bargain now. In fact the £85kish X that I baulked at in 2019 looks a bargain too.

I think £55k is reasonable for the Y in today's market, it's not facing off against X3/5s and GLC/Es with 25% off, at least for now.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
gangzoom1682.00
      10-15-2021, 04:43 AM   #25
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
You're £70k ish X looks like an absolute bargain now. In fact the £85kish X that I baulked at in 2019 looks a bargain too.

I think £55k is reasonable for the Y in today's market, it's not facing off against X3/5s and GLC/Es with 25% off, at least for now.
A Performance Y with white interior and FSD is £72K!!! 3rd is currently a $3000 option in the US, and tow hitch (surely a must on a family car) $1000.....So you could easily spend £75K+ on a Model Y, with coil spring, no powered doors, no drivers console etc....Our X with 6 seats, same sized battery, power doors, air suspension, aluminum chassis, tow hitch was £72k in 2016. Maybe Elon assumes everyone has bought Tesla shares or invested in Crypto so who care about $$$$ .

The scary bit is with price inflation for everything, it wouldn't surprise me if in 12 months time you can price one up for £80K, and £60K for the base model will seem 'cheap'.

We need to decided what to do with our house build, if we aren't going to go ahead with it than am very tempted to order a LR Y to replace the Lexus before the inevitable price hikes start.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 04:52 AM   #26
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

A Performance Y with white interior and FSD is £72K!!! 3rd is currently a $3000 option in the US, and tow hitch (surely a must on a family car) $1000.....So you could easily spend £75K+ on a Model Y, with coil spring, no powered doors, no drivers console etc....

The scary bit is with price inflation for everything, it wouldn't surprise me if in 12 months time you can price one up for £80K, and £60K for the base model will seem 'cheap'.

We need to decided what to do with our house build, if we aren't going to go ahead with it than am very tempted to order a LR Y to replace the Lexus before the inevitable price hikes start.
Yes the performance model is a stretch, I think the same with the M3.

I've got a Discovery without a tow bar and don't view it as a necessity in any way, not sure that the majority of families do. But it would have been a £600-£1500 option if I wanted one iirc.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #27
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
Quote:

A Performance Y with white interior and FSD is £72K!!! 3rd is currently a $3000 option in the US, and tow hitch (surely a must on a family car) $1000.....So you could easily spend £75K+ on a Model Y, with coil spring, no powered doors, no drivers console etc....Our X with 6 seats, same sized battery, power doors, air suspension, aluminum chassis, tow hitch was £72k in 2016. Maybe Elon assumes everyone has bought Tesla shares or invested in Crypto so who care about $$$$ .

You're forgetting that you can't buy a new X for £72k now though

But it does look like a serious bargain in comparison
Appreciate 1
gangzoom1682.00
      10-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #28
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:

Is the price increase of new Tesla's reflected in the 2nd hand market? With the increase in everyone's WBAC valuations I'd be keen to know what they'd offer you for the X.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:37 AM   #29
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
Quote:

Is the price increase of new Tesla's reflected in the 2nd hand market? With the increase in everyone's WBAC valuations I'd be keen to know what they'd offer you for the X.
Anecdotally, I've seen folk selling their year-old Model 3 for a brand new one (some slightly different spec changes and battery improvements) for next to nothing in additional cost.

So the used prices seem rock solid, especially at this time.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:43 AM   #30
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
Quote:

Anecdotally, I've seen folk selling their year-old Model 3 for a brand new one (some slightly different spec changes and battery improvements) for next to nothing in additional cost.

So the used prices seem rock solid, especially at this time.
I was looking at used Model X's yesterday, ballpark on RSEV was £50-70k for 2017/8 cars, ranging from P60 to P100D and 30k-60k miles. (Iirc)

So a fair old saving over a £100k new one that is 12 months away from being built.

Appreciate 1
DB118D1024.50
      10-15-2021, 07:23 AM   #31
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Looks incredibly bland and boring to me.

Tesla styling on all their models does absolutely nothing me. I'd choose the Polestar over a 3 every time.
Appreciate 2
Watsey6403.50
RustyBitz1573.50
      10-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #32
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Amazing how quickly we have all got use to higher prices for everything! Yes right now a LR Y for £60K with Enhanced Auto Pilot doesn't seem like a 'bad' buy.

I just remember Elon teasing people about the sub £35K Model 3, and making EVs 'affordable' to all .
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #33
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Regarding 2nd hand prices, my company 3 Performance cost £53990 in May 20, Motorway price quoted today with 8K on the clock is £51895, cost of same spec new is £61090 but that is a refresh model so has a bit better spec than my one. I have thought of trading in for a LR as it would be basically a straight swap for a brand new one but my nearest centre are all sold out of LR's until the next ship delivery so can't get a test drive to compare.
Delivery is now quoted as December at least for most Model 3 I think. Some folk with November delivery dates have started to see that slip back as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #34
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Amazing how quickly we have all got use to higher prices for everything! Yes right now a LR Y for £60K with Enhanced Auto Pilot doesn't seem like a 'bad' buy.

I just remember Elon teasing people about the sub £35K Model 3, and making EVs 'affordable' to all .
Quote:
Quote:

I think his sub-35k claim was for $ not £.

I've seen folk here getting excited about the 'model 2' being sub-25k, but they're forgetting that will be dollar pricing and when it arrives here it will be much more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #35
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. Who'd have thought people would be paying high 50s/low 60s for a non-M power 3 series?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      10-15-2021, 12:47 PM   #36
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:

It's very easy to avoid Tesla's price hikes.

Buy from a different brand.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #37
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
There is glitzy blingy ugly and then there is frumpy froggy ugly and I think I want my future EV years from now to be neither.
If push comes to shove and I'm paying big money I want the former though.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #38
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Reviews popping up all over the place, Autotrader here. Rory seems to find the ride pretty harsh -

Appreciate 3
isleaiw18756.00
KRS_SN13500.00
      10-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #39
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
Reviews popping up all over the place, Autotrader here. Rory seems to find the ride pretty harsh -

he states the bleeding obvious that we knew for some time. I liked his review of the cheapest ev in the UK. Was very tempted..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 03:14 AM   #40
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

We'd definitely have one.

However just last month we took delivery of our new Volvo XC40 T5 (PHEV). It's a lovely thing, and my Wife was adamant she wanted another Volvo. She fell in love with it immediately.

However in the last few weeks, she's been using my Model 3 for commuting. Two days in and she announces she absolutely loves it and how much better of a drive it is than the Volvo...
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 04:13 AM   #41
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
What I did think was poor though was that Alton Towers itself doesn't yet have any charging points, so if we had taken a run down in an EV that is something we would have probably had to think about. Just planning though I guess.
You raise an interesting point there. I've always assumed an EV charging network will ultimately consist of sites dedicated for that purpose - or attached to things like motorway service areas where people don't stop for long - and hence I wouldn't necessarily expect a destination like Alton Towers to provide EV charging points (any more than I'd expect them to have an on-site filling station for petrol and diesel). But maybe I'm wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 04:17 AM   #42
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
You raise an interesting point there. I've always assumed an EV charging network will ultimately consist of sites dedicated for that purpose - or attached to things like motorway service areas where people don't stop for long - and hence I wouldn't necessarily expect a destination like Alton Towers to provide EV charging points (any more than I'd expect them to have an on-site filling station for petrol and diesel). But maybe I'm wrong?
Yep, they are a great way to get people in to your destination outlet, so we have them at the one hotel with a car park (provided by Tesla...) so a roaring trade at the coffee shop nearby as people get a quick top up...

And if you EV drivers are ever coming to London you know where to stay...
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      10-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #43
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Yep, they are a great way to get people in to your destination outlet, so we have them at the one hotel with a car park (provided by Tesla...) so a roaring trade at the coffee shop nearby as people get a quick top up...

And if you EV drivers are ever coming to London you know where to stay...
But to some extent don't facilities like that exist because a proper charging network isn't yet available? And with a place like Alton Towers, would visitors be expected to come back out of the theme park to move their cars so others could use the charging point or would there be some sort of valet service shifting cars around?!

As for coming to London, thanks for the offer but regardless of ICE or EV for me allowing the train to take the strain makes far more sense than driving down there!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 05:49 AM   #44
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
The ride issue would put me off. however somewhere in the launch reporting I have read both the 3 and Y will be available with Air suspension within a year.
Appreciate 0