F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rear suspension subframe damage
Studio RSR

01-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
ibnuls7
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i GranCoupe Xdrive

Rear suspension subframe damage

Hi guys,

I was driving during a heavy snowstorm in Ontario and long story short I was making a turn and hit my rear wheels against a curb laterally.

The Indy mechanic informed me about the following damages:
Rear subframe bent
Knuckle cracked
Trailing arm bent
Upper control arm bent
Anti roll strut damaged
Rear differential leaked due to seal breaking

BMW quoted me $12000 for total repairs! But I don't have accident forgiveness with Allstate insurance since I've been driving fewer than 5 years and my insurance is quoting me a 75% increase for the next 6 years...

So I'm going with the Indy shop who quoted me $2300 with a used suspension and subframe. Quote with only suspension replacement is $1200.

My question is: do you guys think it's worth the $1100 for a subframe replacement? The subframe didn't take any compressive or twisting damage. The metal is bent on a single plane and the mechanic ensured me that it wouldn't compromise the structural integrity of the car. I also am still under BMW warranty and plan to extend it. Since it's an oem part replacement BMW shouldn't be able to tell it was swapped.

Thanks

Last edited by ibnuls7; 01-24-2020 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnuls7 View Post
Hi guys,

So I'm going with the Indy shop who quoted me $2300 with a used suspension and subframe. Quote with only suspension replacement is $1200.

My question is: do you guys think it's worth the $1100 for a subframe replacement? The subframe is steel and didn't take any compressive or twisting damage. The metal is bent on a single plane and the mechanic ensured me that it wouldn't compromise the structural integrity of the car. I also am still under BMW warranty and plan to extend it. Since it's an oem part replacement BMW shouldn't be able to tell it was swapped.

Thanks
Three words come to mind for us folks who drive high-end Euro luxury cars and need service/repairs: "Don't Cheap Out". If you trust this Indy mechanic have him source a replacement subframe.

Shop is going to source/install used parts - if you don't already know, ask the shop what kind of 'warranty', if any, they are providing on the parts. In my experience (in the States) a shop won't be standing behind used parts, whether they source/install them or you source them; typically good shops do stand 100% behind new parts they source/install and should an issue arise they will make it good on their dime.

Perhaps a third opinion on this work is worthwhile (?).

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Wow. Just wow... I don't understand how some insurance companies punish you for using what they have been charging you for... I've had my insurance for about 15 years since my Navy days, and in that time I've totaled about 5 cars (young and stupid lol) had one stolen, many fender benders from ending up in a ditch during winter when I used to live up north, and in the last 5 years I've had my windshields replaced every year. Yet my rates never go up due to claims.. heck this year they went down compared to 2019...
Good luck OP
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Wtf... are you serious OP, you are with All State. My friend has that too here in California got into accident... premium didn't went up either. (Fyi: accident forgiveness is not available in California).

Anyway how much warranty you have left. You already saw BMW hence the $12000 quote... so they probably flag the car (someone chime in here). But the 2nd quote from an indy is reasonable..but we need to know the extent of the subframe damage( bent). Wish we have 3rd option....(aftermarket parts)

Good luck OP

(On the side note: I don't know what's going on with that insurance you have)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Hi guys,

I was driving during a heavy snowstorm in Ontario and long story short I was making a turn and hit my rear wheels against a curb laterally.

The Indy mechanic informed me about the following damages:
Rear subframe bent
Knuckle cracked
Trailing arm bent
Upper control arm bent
Anti roll strut damaged
Rear differential leaked due to seal breaking

BMW quoted me $12000 for total repairs! But I don't have accident forgiveness with Allstate insurance since I've been driving fewer than 5 years and my insurance is quoting me a 75% increase for the next 6 years...

My question is: do you guys think it's worth the $1100 for a subframe replacement? The subframe is steel and didn't take any compressive or twisting damage. The metal is bent on a single plane and the mechanic ensured me that it wouldn't compromise the structural integrity of the car. I also am still under BMW warranty and plan to extend it. Since it's an oem part replacement BMW shouldn't be able to tell it was swapped.

Thanks
$12,000 or $1,200, it's a claim and rates will rise.

Get it done right.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma793.50
      01-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Yes, I would also replace the subframe.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
PChem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 ZHP Vert, 2015 435ix Vert

Be sure to check the wheel that struck the curve. I hit a curb sideways in the snow many years ago with old fashioned steel rims and it bent the wheel at the hub interface.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Make sure they replace the wheel hub assembly and axle on that side as well because that type of impact will most certainly have damaged both.
      01-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
ibnuls7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Wtf... are you serious OP, you are with All State. My friend has that too here in California got into accident... premium didn't went up either. (Fyi: accident forgiveness is not available in California).

Anyway how much warranty you have left. You already saw BMW hence the $12000 quote... so they probably flag the car (someone chime in here). But the 2nd quote from an indy is reasonable..but we need to know the extent of the subframe damage( bent). Wish we have 3rd option....(aftermarket parts)

Good luck OP

(On the side note: I don't know what's going on with that insurance you have)
Thanks

Yeah in Canada our insurance companies aren't as nice as the ones down south it's crazy how you're being punished for damaging the very thing you're paying to insure in the first place...

I still have 6 months warranty left but will extend another 2-4 years depending on the rate. Also I asked BMW to estimate over the phone knowing the existing damages so they don't know my VIN or anything
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
ibnuls7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Three words come to mind for us folks who drive high-end Euro luxury cars and need service/repairs: "Don't Cheap Out". If you trust this Indy mechanic have him source a replacement subframe.

Shop is going to source/install used parts - if you don't already know, ask the shop what kind of 'warranty', if any, they are providing on the parts. In my experience (in the States) a shop won't be standing behind used parts, whether they source/install them or you source them; typically good shops do stand 100% behind new parts they source/install and should an issue arise they will make it good on their dime.

Perhaps a third opinion on this work is worthwhile (?).

Good luck/Bill
Thanks

The mechanic is giving me a 1 year warranty on their work so if the repair for the subframe or replacement for suspension components don't look factory, he said he'd make things right. If the alignment is off he said he'd let me know if that new subframe is absolutely necessary and I'll just have to pay for the difference
Appreciate 1
Wgosma793.50
      01-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #11
ibnuls7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PChem View Post
Be sure to check the wheel that struck the curve. I hit a curb sideways in the snow many years ago with old fashioned steel rims and it bent the wheel at the hub interface.
Oh lol rim is done it's totally bent where it impact
The tires are still good however, no bulges, tears, or gouges
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
ibnuls7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Make sure they replace the wheel hub assembly and axle on that side as well because that type of impact will most certainly have damaged both.
He said axle is fine but the wheel hub is being completely replaced by the donor suspension components
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #13
ibnuls7
Rep

Does anybody know if the rear subframe is aluminum or steel?
I originally thought it was steel but I'm coming across threads where older e90 models had aluminum frames. If that's the case I'd need to replace it as aluminum is a soft metal and won't maintain it's rigidity as before.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

While the bent subframe MAY not affect the structural integrity, I would guess it would certainly affect the driving characteristics and alignment of the car. Just opening up the possibility of future issues. Plus, if you ever decide to sell your car, a bent subframe will drop the value substantially.
      01-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #15
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
I originally thought it was steel but I'm coming across threads where older e90 models had aluminum frames. If that's the case I'd need to replace it as aluminum is a soft metal and won't maintain it's rigidity as before.
BMW typically uses aluminum subframes on sedans- input last 7 of cars VIN number at Realoem.com website and search the part number and go from there.

if the car is with you, just get a magnet and see if it "sticks" to the metal subframe.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #16
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Issue is (at least in Canada) our rates are based on years of driving, age, sex, level of market claims on a particular model, etc. Statistically speaking, younger/inexperience drivers, males under 25, etc tend to be a higher risk of claims, so they get blanket punished, unfortunately.

My buddy bought an el cheapo Suzuki SX4 (that odd tall looking AWD hatchback), and his rates were higher than my BMW 335 which cost 2x more just due to the level of claims filed on his particular car.

OP, cheaping out will typically end in you having a car that won't drive or feel right in the end. I'd suggest you just use the insurance route and do it right, but those rate increases are hard to swallow though.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:00 AM   #17
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Rear suspension subframe damage

Were his rates higher because that model of car had a historically high number of claims in your region or because he had a high number of claims on that car? If it's the latter, I wouldn't say it's "blanket punishment".
      01-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #18
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

From his first post, it sounds like he's been only driving for 5 years, and that's where the "punishment" comes from. Does suck....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #19
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Steel subframe on your F30.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #20
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
From his first post, it sounds like he's been only driving for 5 years, and that's where the "punishment" comes from. Does suck....
I was asking about your friend with the SX4 (sorry, thought I quoted your post. Haha). And just to play devil's advocate, under 25 and inexperienced drivers do tend to pay more, but I assume it's at least partially based on statistics of accidents involving those drivers, I know I'm a much better driver now after 23+ years of licensed driving than when I was in my 20s. Unfortunately, the fact that OP had a solo accident causing substantial damage sort of feeds into those statistics...arguably justifying the insurance companies' practice of charging higher premiums for <25yo/inexperienced drivers. A childhood friend of mine got an E36 M3 as his first car in high school; he drove it into a parked semi on his way to school one morning. Now he's married and a father of 2 and drives much more responsibly.
Wires1633.50
      01-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #21
ibnuls7
Rep

Yup if you're under 25 in Ontario and less than 5 years of driving experience you're gonna get shafted. I'm 26 now and paying $260 a month with a clean driving record so far. When I got my full G license and first car (primary owner) at 23 I was paying $450 a month with a used 2011 Lexus IS350.
Appreciate 0