F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > EUROPE (Continental) > Window tinting laws for NL?
ARMA SPEED

10-31-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
dhrcc
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 CB with Ivory White

Window tinting laws for NL?

Help.. I can't seem to find the legal answer for this. My F36 doesn't have tints right now but I'm planning on getting it tinted but I'm also moving to NL next year so I want to make sure it will be legal when I get there. Anybody here knows the legal tint limit or should I not tint the car at all. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I believe most of Europe only allows tint on the rear windows, or at least that's how Germany is.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Thats correct. According to the European law you have a year grace period to change your car to the local requirements after you are a full enlisted and approved citizen of the desired country.
Same thing for your numberplates, if you are an Armymember, consult your bureau for exact details to avoid any troubles.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #4
dhrcc
Rep

Thank you guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Doublep
Happily breaking in the F36!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 430i GC EB/SB

Dutchy here. As far as I know, rear windows can be tinted as much as you like (as long as you have a right side outside mirror). Front side windows can be tinted to a maximum of 50% light transmittance.

I checked online and am fairly certain I am right. Just don't forward your fines to me in case I turn our to be wrong.

Where are you moving from, and where to?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #6
dhrcc
Rep

Thanks for the information on this. I would like to do more research so can you please forward the link to me, if you have it. Thank you for the information. I don't know how dark 50% will be. Hahaha

I'm living in Germany now, so its only a 2.5 hours drive, but work is there so I'm moving closer.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Side tinting of front windows are not allowed into Germany. As long as you dont import such a car, I wouldnt try

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
®win
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Touring (F31)

Garage List
In the NL the front windshield and front side windows must have a minimum of 55% light transmission, which means a tint limit of 45%.

From the Dutch Public Prosecution Service (google translated ):
Quote:
Measuring Light transmission

Does the police see that the windshield of a car is blinded or lets too little light through? Or the front side windows? Then, the tintman is deployed.

The tintman is a meter that determines how much light passes through a window. This allows the police to determine quickly and easily whether the light transmittance of windshields is sufficient.

Windscreen and side windows
The light transmittance of the windshield and of the front side windows must be at least 55%.

The rear window may well be provided with a film or coating. The vehicle must then have a right side mirror.

measuring cells
On two sides of the window the police place a cell. These cells see each other through the glass. They measure how much light gets through the window.

It turns out that almost all car windows have already been given a coating from factory. As a result, the light transmittance is about 75%. Therefore, it is not wise to apply a foil. The light transmittance thereby decreases still more. It is rapidly below the permitted 55%.

The tintman is a certified measurement means and is specifically designed for the measurement of light transmittance.
      03-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
Leonlai
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive

Here is a pic of my F11 with 55% windows tint for the front door. It kind of difficult to see, because 55% is not so dark. The back windows are tinted 35%
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 04:06 AM   #10
bmwdriver567
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

For all the dutchies, check out this website! They have many many products voor BMW generations. From headlight to body kits to kidney grills. I do like the website! https://www.beamerstyling.nl/
Appreciate 0