F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 6MT Auto Rev Matching Change? (Resolved)
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #89
tsbrown
Private
60
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i/6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: KY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
There are lots of options for better, you described one of them. I'd like to have the original behavior back: If you shift into a gear, the engine speed is matched to the gear ratio and vehicle speed. Period. (almost, anyway... you COULD confuse it by shifting into too many gears with one clutch pedal depression, if I recall correctly, but that was a really minor gripe).
I had the new software installed today. For those interested service dept told me it's listed as version 18-03. They did a test drive before returning it to me and confirmed the full functionality is returned.

I only drove it a few miles home so far and can confirm that it will rev-match multiple gear downshifts at various speeds. Have not tried highway speeds but on city streets it seems to match as it did prior to Sept 2017 software update.

I suggest exporting your driver settings before dropping of your car for service since they did not backup and re-install those for me. I had mine on a thumb drive and imported them before leaving the dealership. I won't gripe about that...very minor issue in the grand scheme.
Appreciate 2
kern417842.50
eluded1018.00

      04-13-2018, 07:19 AM   #90
Araemo
Lieutenant
139
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NE Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrown View Post
I had the new software installed today. For those interested service dept told me it's listed as version 18-03. They did a test drive before returning it to me and confirmed the full functionality is returned.

I only drove it a few miles home so far and can confirm that it will rev-match multiple gear downshifts at various speeds. Have not tried highway speeds but on city streets it seems to match as it did prior to Sept 2017 software update.

I suggest exporting your driver settings before dropping of your car for service since they did not backup and re-install those for me. I had mine on a thumb drive and imported them before leaving the dealership. I won't gripe about that...very minor issue in the grand scheme.
Let's emphasize that. When I lost my rev-matching, the same thing happened - they didn't back up or restore my driver settings, so not only did I lose rev matching, I had just spent 15 minutes being annoyed while re-programming a few things when I discovered it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #91
paul e
Captain
United_States
327
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for posting up the results, appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #92
tsbrown
Private
60
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i/6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: KY

iTrader: (0)

Further update...today on a highway exit ramp I use daily I downshifted from 6th to 3rd. Auto rev-matching made it so smooth I had to mentally replay what had just happened to verify.
Appreciate 1
kern417842.50

      04-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #93
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
28
Rep
138
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Great to hear thanks for the update! How do I save my driver settings on a thumb drive?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #94
tsbrown
Private
60
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i/6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: KY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab_of_oppo View Post
Great to hear thanks for the update! How do I save my driver settings on a thumb drive?
On iDrive menu, select My Vehicle>Driver Profiles>select a profile>export to usb. Use the center console USB drive port. Takes about 15 seconds for each profile, so you will need to do each separately. I have only one but there could be max of 3, I think. If the profile exists on the drive, as mine did, it will ask if you want to overwrite. To import, do the same except select the import profile.
Appreciate 2
CJ421433.00

      04-18-2018, 12:44 AM   #95
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
42395_skyline's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrown View Post
I had the new software installed today. For those interested service dept told me it's listed as version 18-03. They did a test drive before returning it to me and confirmed the full functionality is returned.

I only drove it a few miles home so far and can confirm that it will rev-match multiple gear downshifts at various speeds. Have not tried highway speeds but on city streets it seems to match as it did prior to Sept 2017 software update.

I suggest exporting your driver settings before dropping of your car for service since they did not backup and re-install those for me. I had mine on a thumb drive and imported them before leaving the dealership. I won't gripe about that...very minor issue in the grand scheme.
Great to hear! Have you tried to set the blinker to 5 again? Probably not gonna work.. but one can dream! Any other changes with the update?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #96
tsbrown
Private
60
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i/6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: KY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
Great to hear! Have you tried to set the blinker to 5 again? Probably not gonna work.. but one can dream! Any other changes with the update?
I did try to recode the blinker but my latest version of Carly for BMW doesn't recognize the software version tied to the FEM so it was a no go. Will see if Bimmercode will work.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 11:22 PM   #97
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
28
Rep
138
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrown View Post
On iDrive menu, select My Vehicle>Driver Profiles>select a profile>export to usb. Use the center console USB drive port. Takes about 15 seconds for each profile, so you will need to do each separately. I have only one but there could be max of 3, I think. If the profile exists on the drive, as mine did, it will ask if you want to overwrite. To import, do the same except select the import profile.
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #98
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
x5mad's Avatar
104
Rep
1,575
Posts

Drives: F30 340i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
Great to hear! Have you tried to set the blinker to 5 again? Probably not gonna work.. but one can dream! Any other changes with the update?
I did try to recode the blinker but my latest version of Carly for BMW doesn't recognize the software version tied to the FEM so it was a no go. Will see if Bimmercode will work.
The 5 blinks still doesn't work with the latest istep. I tried with esys and latest data.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #99
Araemo
Lieutenant
139
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NE Ohio

iTrader: (0)

I finally scheduled to get my summer tires installed, and they're going to apply this update at that time (I had to ask them to check the status of the PUMA case, which had been auto-closed due to no updates in a while... but they gave me the same info as above).

So, after Friday I'll finally have my rev matching back.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #100
Araemo
Lieutenant
139
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NE Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Update:

Got reflashed yesterday/today. Rev matching is definitely 'better'. Not as good as when I bought the car, but being able to skip a gear is an amazing upgrade/fix.

What it doesn't do anymore: If you're coasting in neutral, and then push in the clutch and shift into gear.. it does not rev match. Originally it did.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #101
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
42395_skyline's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Update:

Got reflashed yesterday/today. Rev matching is definitely 'better'. Not as good as when I bought the car, but being able to skip a gear is an amazing upgrade/fix.

What it doesn't do anymore: If you're coasting in neutral, and then push in the clutch and shift into gear.. it does not rev match. Originally it did.
Sad to hear, but better than nothing I guess. I was REALLY hoping that it would be able to still rev up when coasting. Did you notice any other changes not relating to rev matching?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #102
Araemo
Lieutenant
139
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NE Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
Sad to hear, but better than nothing I guess. I was REALLY hoping that it would be able to still rev up when coasting. Did you notice any other changes not relating to rev matching?
Only my coding changes disappearing.

I was out of town for a week right after getting it back, so I haven't had a chance to fix my coding yet. I have an appt this coming Friday to finish a diag on something else and finish my maintenance, so I'll mention the lack of rev matching from neutral to them.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #103
CJ421
Brigadier General
CJ421's Avatar
United_States
433
Rep
3,583
Posts

Drives: 2017 F30 340i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Blue Bell PA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I brought my 340i in for the yearly dealer service a few days ago, and my rev-match is working like it did before. I've gone 6 > 4, 5 > 3, and it rev matches just fine.
They must have updated the software because my iDrive has some things I didn't see before, like a screensaver, etc.

Charles
__________________
2017 BMW 340i (F30) - M Sport, Mineral Gray/Coral Red, 6MT; Dinan exhaust
Past: 2011 335i (E92) - M Sport, Le Mans Blue/Black, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:20 PM   #104
Karminski
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

So Very Frustrating!!!

I was so very excited to hear that folks were getting reasonable rev-match functionality returned (6th -> 4th to pass on the highway for example), but in talking with my dealer's service department - i'm getting the royal run around. I hope to meet with the Shop Foreman in person tomorrow morning, but that hasn't gotten me far in the past.

Can anyone tell me how to properly refer to the Software Update that you have received to restore the rev-match functionality and maybe how I can determine what version I currently have loaded on my 2017 440i XDrive? I'm afraid that I just don't know the correct terminology to speak intelligently with the service department. Ha!, that's funny - like talking intelligently to the dealership will get me anywhere
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #105
Araemo
Lieutenant
139
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NE Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karminski View Post
I was so very excited to hear that folks were getting reasonable rev-match functionality returned (6th -> 4th to pass on the highway for example), but in talking with my dealer's service department - i'm getting the royal run around. I hope to meet with the Shop Foreman in person tomorrow morning, but that hasn't gotten me far in the past.

Can anyone tell me how to properly refer to the Software Update that you have received to restore the rev-match functionality and maybe how I can determine what version I currently have loaded on my 2017 440i XDrive? I'm afraid that I just don't know the correct terminology to speak intelligently with the service department. Ha!, that's funny - like talking intelligently to the dealership will get me anywhere
Tell them to open a case with BMW Corporate (a PUMA case), about the change in rev matching functionality from original functionality.

Applying a software update to fix a specific complaint is a standard covered service if you're under warranty. They just need to get the OK to do so from corporate.

All they have to do is flash your car. When they update the firmware, it updates ALL control units to the current release, which includes this fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #106
Karminski
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

...see what happens.

Thanks for the info. I'll see what happens when I relay that information to the Shop Forman in the morning. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but it sounds a bit like it will be down the road if I need to wait for BMW Corporate to green-light it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #107
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Convertible (JZB)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Bend, WI

iTrader: (0)

We've got this problem on our recently purchased '17 340i xDrive, built in May of '17. With this talk of needing a PUMA case, I take it there isn't a SIB mentioning this issue (yet?)?

Honestly, I wish they would have included a button, or lacking that an iDrive setting to toggle the functionality as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #108
Araemo
Lieutenant
139
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NE Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
We've got this problem on our recently purchased '17 340i xDrive, built in May of '17. With this talk of needing a PUMA case, I take it there isn't a SIB mentioning this issue (yet?)?
Is a SIB like a TSB? I don't know if there is, but I know the chain of events for what caused this issue for me was: I reported 'drivetrain malfunction'/CEL (when picking up my car from an oil change, and the malfunction/CEL was not there when I dropped it off..).

They reported the diagnostic results to corporate, corporate said it would be fixed by an update. They applied the update. Malfunction/CEL was gone, but so was rev matching more than 1 gear.

So, without a specific TSB/etc listing 'for this complaint, apply this fix', they certainly would escalate to corporate.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #109
Karminski
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up Good News...

It took some convincing and lots of email to anyone I could find an email address for, but I finally convinced my local dealer to apply the latest update to my 2017 440i XDrive. From my end, I didn't need to request they initiate a PUMA case or anything. That may have happened on the backside, but I didn't have to force it from my end.

The storyline kinda went like this: BMW Corporate was not providing much information regarding the content of the latest software/firmware update, unlike it had for previous releases. My vehicle was also not listed as being directly affected by the update. If I were a service technician and all that were true; I might hesitate before turning someone's sweet ride into a very heavy brick - even if it was a very nice shiny black brick.

As a complete aside and as a bit of a conspiracy theory - this wouldn't have anything to do with the raids by German Police on BMW's Munich Headquarters in March? Would it? I've certainly never "heard of" a software engineer sneaking an update into a release to fix something that should have never been there in the first place - things that make you go: hmmmmm.

Anyway, with all unfair and unfounded speculation aside... and with the latest update successfully installed in my car, I can now shift from 5th down into 3rd and Automatic Rev-Matching works as I believe it should. Still does not disable in Sport+ mode, but maybe I can get my coder to help there - he needs to re-code all my previous settings anyway All in all, I'm very excited and had a fun ride home - don't tell the wife.

Full disclosure, when I purchased my car, it did not automatically Rev-Match for a 2 gear downshift. As such - I imagine that I was no where near as p!$$ed off as folks who actually had and lost the functionality - I feel for y'all, I really do. I'm not sure the old ticker would have held up as I calmly explained my concern to a service advisor. I really didn't care so much if the car did or didn't automatically Rev-Match; it just shouldn't do it sometimes. I feel this created a dangerous situation. When something stupid happens right in front of me, I drop into 3rd to get away from the situation, and I buck (or God forbid stall) the car because where it would normally automatically Rev-Match for me (like it or not), it suddenly decided not to when I needed to Rev-Match the most. The car spent a great deal of time teaching me how it wanted to be driven and now changed the rules on me.

As a bonus (and I'm not sure it was really related) my ConnectedDrive now lets me Lock/Unlock the car, Beep the Horn, Flash the Lights, and turn on the Ventilation from the ConnectedDrive app on my phone - WhoHoo! That's been bugging me for 7 months and countless calls/visits/emails. Man I'm a PITA.

Well, I'm declaring victory and moving on
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST