F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY - F30 OEM Backup / reversing camera retrofit installed!
ARMA SPEED

06-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #111
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Well... 3 months later i finally got around to working on this project again (crazy when you become a parent how you life changes)...

After adding option 3AG & coding HU_CIC, ICM, REM & FEM_BODY... i'm getting an error:

Parking AID not available, Please park unaided... something like that.... Then the image comes of the car & what should be the camera.. Crappy part is, not only does the camera not work but neither does my rear PDC...

So then i tried removing option 3AG & recoding those same modules.. the camera is gone but my rear PDC is no longer working... I get the same error, the image comes on the screen but doesn't work...

WTH...

Some notes on my install...
  1. i bought the camera module that has all 5 inputs for reverse camera, side view cameras & top view cameras (b/c i plan/hope to add them one day)
  2. i purchased the control unit that also has the button for the side view/top view camers (so not just the parking button)
  3. it's worth noting, that new control module doesn't work at all. meaning when i press the camera button or the top view button, it does nothing
  4. At the HU, i went red pin 21, shield 23 & white 24... Roxxor noted he went 18, x & x but 21, 23 & 24 worked for an X3 user & that is what is the actual install instructions. I do have the CIC & not NBT.
  5. i dont see a way to get those pins back out & try a different combination, that MOST connector seems to be a solid piece.. not sure how i could pop that out & release those cables. even if i pull those blue taps out that have some funtion or they wouldn't be there
  6. even if i have the wrong pins, doesn't explain why when i removed 3AG, my rear PDC no longer works b/c those cables aren't even needed
  7. while i was at it... i ran the cable for the front PDC to the REM. i went ahead & connected all the pins at the REM as per the direction. the other end is disconnected b/c i didn't get to the front PDC (still need to paint them). I would think without adding option 508 for both front/rear PDC. what would it matter if i went ahead & connected those pins at the REM???

some install photos to help others out...

After wasting about 2 hours trying to figure out the factory location of the Camera module unit up under the driver side dash... i gave up & went to the trunk.... i went on the driver side...

From the wiring harness, you run a cable to the bottom side of the fuse box.. here is the cable being installed

This is a view of me routing the camera cable along the trunk arm

one of the original post said it was a PITA to remove the trunk handle... from the back side you can pop out the far right piece (if looking at the trunk handle from outside the car).. then i took this plastic tool at this contact point & it came right out.. there are 4 contact points to just to both on the top side you can get to & it comes right out

As the day went on (it's only 99 degress here in NC this week) i got more tired & didn't get anymore photos... this DIY is not for for the faint of heart... and to be honest, what is posted here isn't exactly a start to finish DIY.. you have to piece together several post... don't get me wrong, i would have never even attempted this if it hadn't been for the info provided but this isn't easy.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #112
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

and my comfort access is no longer working... anyone have any thoughts? Roxxor, hoping you can chime in
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #113
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
SteelerFan,

While I am not the original poster, assuming you are referring to the camera control unit, TRSV ECU, take a look at the attached BMW retrofit instruction (EBA); you'll see that the TRSV ECU is mounted on driver's side near the left foot rest.

Look over the attached -- hope it helps
RSnic, thanks a ton for posting the install instructions. I totally misunderstood Roxxor's comments on connecting A8 to the Z2*6B fuse box. I thought he was saying connect it to the same one as the fuse but it actually goes in PIN6. So i have that wrong for sure. Too late for me to start messing with the car now but I will be trying that soon.

Where do you get these install instructions? I want one for the top view/surround view install. My control switch isn't lighting up &/or not working at all. I also want to review the TRSV wires.

It's also worth noting that Roxxor mentions picking up the A6 & A7 (orange/green & green cable) in the IDrive socket... this install instructions has this going to Plug 173 in the Passenger footwell. Must be the same pins b/c it's working for him but just noticed that is different in my install.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #114
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
RSnic, thanks a ton for posting the install instructions. I totally misunderstood Roxxor's comments on connecting A8 to the Z2*6B fuse box. I thought he was saying connect it to the same one as the fuse but it actually goes in PIN6. So i have that wrong for sure. Too late for me to start messing with the car now but I will be trying that soon.

Where do you get these install instructions? I want one for the top view/surround view install. My control switch isn't lighting up &/or not working at all. I also want to review the TRSV wires.

It's also worth noting that Roxxor mentions picking up the A6 & A7 (orange/green & green cable) in the IDrive socket... this install instructions has this going to Plug 173 in the Passenger footwell. Must be the same pins b/c it's working for him but just noticed that is different in my install.
SteelerFan,

Can't recall which of the two forums I got the Retrofit Instruction off of (this one or BimmerFest).

While my problem with the cameras working hasn't been resolved, because the shop foreman was out for medical and my car recently had a close encounter of the rear-end kind while I was stopped at a light and is in shop -- but fortunately is mostly body work. Here are a couple of thoughts for your consideration:
  • First, the center console switch did not work initially, but the light & iDrive sensor screen worked fine automatically when in reverse. To overcome this, made sure that: the Yellow/blue wire went into Pin 2 of console switch and connected to ICM Pin 6; also green/yellow wire into console switch Pin 1 which then connected to Pin 28 of ICM; and finally, Pin 3 of console switch connects with Pin 13 of ICM.
  • After several missteps with shop foreman (mainly because I didn't have retrofit instructions), I became convinced that the ONLY differences between rear only and surround view were:
    • The variant of TRSV ECU used.
    • The number of cameras and cables connecting to the TRSV.

When I get the body work completed will finally revisit camera hook up to prove out, if you will, my belief.

More to follow
Glad to help!!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #115
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Hi Guys

Can I ask how are you tapping into the K Cam lines.

Are you using the wire taps (Minature connectors as per BMW instructions) also known as T taps.

Or another method?
- Positaps (if so what model would you suggest)
- Strip and solder

The T taps do not get a good feedback.

Thanks

The
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #116
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtthree View Post
Hi Guys

Can I ask how are you tapping into the K Cam lines.

Are you using the wire taps (Minature connectors as per BMW instructions) also known as T taps.

Or another method?
- Positaps (if so what model would you suggest)
- Strip and solder

The T taps do not get a good feedback.

Thanks

I used the Minature connectors as per the BMW kit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
SteelerFan,

Can't recall which of the two forums I got the Retrofit Instruction off of (this one or BimmerFest).

While my problem with the cameras working hasn't been resolved, because the shop foreman was out for medical and my car recently had a close encounter of the rear-end kind while I was stopped at a light and is in shop -- but fortunately is mostly body work. Here are a couple of thoughts for your consideration:
  • First, the center console switch did not work initially, but the light & iDrive sensor screen worked fine automatically when in reverse. To overcome this, made sure that: the Yellow/blue wire went into Pin 2 of console switch and connected to ICM Pin 6; also green/yellow wire into console switch Pin 1 which then connected to Pin 28 of ICM; and finally, Pin 3 of console switch connects with Pin 13 of ICM.
  • After several missteps with shop foreman (mainly because I didn't have retrofit instructions), I became convinced that the ONLY differences between rear only and surround view were:
    • The variant of TRSV ECU used.
    • The number of cameras and cables connecting to the TRSV.

When I get the body work completed will finally revisit camera hook up to prove out, if you will, my belief.

More to follow
Glad to help!!
Wait a minute... what is the 3rd wire you speak of??? I don't have that wire from Center Console switch Pin 3 to ICM Pin 13... Where did you get that piece of info??? Wonder if that is why my switch never lights up.. or doesn't work..hmmm.. k.. one more thing for me to try.

Did you get the Retrofit instructions for Surround view cameras? if so, please post it.

Thanks everyone for the assistance, i want to get this working so bad...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #117
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
I used the Minature connectors as per the BMW kit...

Wait a minute... what is the 3rd wire you speak of??? I don't have that wire from Center Console switch Pin 3 to ICM Pin 13... Where did you get that piece of info??? Wonder if that is why my switch never lights up.. or doesn't work..hmmm.. k.. one more thing for me to try.

Did you get the Retrofit instructions for Surround view cameras? if so, please post it.

Thanks everyone for the assistance, i want to get this working so bad...
SteelerFan,

Regarding the center console switch wiring, please check this post out:http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=869735

Go down below the 4th installation picture, there is an explanation of the wiring.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any Retrofit instructions for surround view cameras, but have seen a posting either here or on BimmerFest that helped. Will try to find

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #118
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Update

No smoking gun yet... i already had A8 to the Z2*6B fuse box. I also looked at the center console switch & it already had Pin 3 prior to my retrofit. I have to remove my center console to get to the ICM so wasn't doing that tonight.

We also have a F25 X3 that has the Driver assistant package. I looked on RealOEM & saw our cameras were the same.... so i removed the camera from my car & installed in our X3 & the camera works just fine (i bought the camera used off ebay, the TRSV & console switch were both new, so was all the cabling). With the camera ruled out, it's back to the drawing board. Downloading Rheingold now, hopefully that will be a helpful tshooting tool.

While i was running cables, thought i would save some time & run my cables for the front PDC... even though the one is left unconnected (i didn't run the cable through the firewall), i went ahead & connected all the wires at the REM... surely that isn't causing my issue... it hasn't been coded to tell it i have front PDC (i did thinking in needed that for the switch but then removed that option & went back to 508). Said it once before, this DIY is not for the faint of heart.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 06:52 AM   #119
The-Hoff
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

With help of this posts and a (professional) acquaintance I installed a rear-view camera in my 08-2013 BMW F30. We had a fun morning and it took us a few hours to finish the job. All parts are OEM BMW, the camera and module were bought on e-bay.de, all other parts were ordered at a local BMW dealership.

I am a 'coding rookie' and only coded a few small things like start in eco-pro mode and disable start-stop.

After reading 'How to change FA (VO) in F-series car Version 8-24-2013' I added 3AG to the SALAPA-Elements and clicked on the 'Write FA FP' button, following all the steps in the document. After that I restarted the unit by pressing the volume button for 20 seconds and waited a day without result. In reverse I still get the same old screen with only PDC .

It is posible I bought a faulty unit or did not correctly wire the TRSVC unit, I don't know how to check this.

In other words: I need some coding advise, step by step for dummies. I don't get far with 'just add 3AG and code all the necessary modules'...

Any help is appreciated, a step-by-step explanation would be great!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #120
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Hoff View Post
...After reading 'How to change FA (VO) in F-series car Version 8-24-2013' I added 3AG to the SALAPA-Elements and clicked on the 'Write FA FP' button, following all the steps in the document. After that I restarted the unit by pressing the volume button for 20 seconds and waited a day without result. In reverse I still get the same old screen with only PDC .
You modified FA to add 3AG, and you wrote FA to car VCM. But you still have not actually VO Coded car for 3AG.

You need to now Read modified FA back from VCM, and then VO Code (Right-Click on ECU => Code) CIC / NBT, PDC, and TRSVC.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #121
The-Hoff
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You modified FA to add 3AG, and you wrote FA to car VCM. But you still have not actually VO Coded car for 3AG.

You need to now Read modified FA back from VCM, and then VO Code (Right-Click on ECU => Code) CIC / NBT, PDC, and TRSVC.
Thanks for your quick reply!! I started up E-sys and following:
Connect => Read FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) in expert mode - coding

Now I see my SVT list, but no CIC/NBT, PDC module. The TRSVC [6] is there but without an active item but with BTLD_000000467..., HWEL_0000008SE.. and SWFL_000000468...

I do see a HU_NBT and a REM folder (these are mentioned on other posts) for newer models...

Should the TRSVC have three empty items?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #122
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply!! I started up E-sys and following:
Connect => Read FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) in expert mode - coding

Now I see my SVT list, but no CIC/NBT, PDC module. The TRSVC [6] is there but without an active item but with BTLD_000000467..., HWEL_0000008SE.. and SWFL_000000468...

I do see a HU_NBT and a REM folder (these are mentioned on other posts) for newer models...

Should the TRSVC have three empty items?
You need to first inject CAFD into TRSVC:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on desired TRSVC => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on TRSVC (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

If that does not work, keep trying all CAFD's to see if one takes.

If none take, then you have to flash TRSVC.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #123
The-Hoff
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
You need to first inject CAFD into TRSVC:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on desired TRSVC => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on TRSVC (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

If that does not work, keep trying all CAFD's to see if one takes.

If none take, then you have to flash TRSVC.
Ok, thanks, now i'm getting somewhere :

I selected F020-15-07-500 CAFD_00000223_013_009_014 from the list (this is the latest?) and coded

CAFD_00000223_013_009_007
CAFD_00000223_013_009_009
CAFD_00000223_013_009_013
CAFD_00000223_013_009_014

TAL execution started.
VCM Update: VCM-Update is deactivated. VCM will not be updated. [C197]
ExecutionID=2015/07/12-15:38:01.533
[] prepareTALExecution started
[] prepareTALExecution finished
[] prepareVehicleForCoding started
[] prepareVehicleForCoding finished
[TRSVC - 6] prepareECUforCoding started
[TRSVC - 6] prepareECUforCoding finished
[TRSVC - 6] authenticateECUforCoding started
[TRSVC - 6] authenticateECUforCoding finished
[TRSVC - 6 - cafd_00000223-013_009_014] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA started
[TRSVC - 6 - cafd_00000223-013_009_014] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA finished
[TRSVC - 6] finalizeECUCoding started
[TRSVC - 6] finalizeECUCoding finished
[] finalizeVehicleCoding started
[] finalizeVehicleCoding finished
[] finalizeTALExecution started
[] finalizeTALExecution finished
TAL execution finished
TAL-Execution finished with status: "Finished". [C207]
TAL execution finished. Duration: "37s". [C206]
Abarbeitung beendet

Now I have to code the other modules, but I don't have PDC or NBT.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #124
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, thanks, now i'm getting somewhere :

I selected F020-15-07-500 CAFD_00000223_013_009_014 from the list (this is the latest?) and coded

CAFD_00000223_013_009_014

TAL execution started.
VCM Update: VCM-Update is deactivated. VCM will not be updated. [C197]
ExecutionID=2015/07/12-15:38:01.533
[] prepareTALExecution started
[] prepareTALExecution finished
[] prepareVehicleForCoding started
[] prepareVehicleForCoding finished
[TRSVC - 6] prepareECUforCoding started
[TRSVC - 6] prepareECUforCoding finished
[TRSVC - 6] authenticateECUforCoding started
[TRSVC - 6] authenticateECUforCoding finished
[TRSVC - 6 - cafd_00000223-013_009_014] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA started
[TRSVC - 6 - cafd_00000223-013_009_014] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA finished
[TRSVC - 6] finalizeECUCoding started
[TRSVC - 6] finalizeECUCoding finished
[] finalizeVehicleCoding started
[] finalizeVehicleCoding finished
[] finalizeTALExecution started
[] finalizeTALExecution finished
TAL execution finished
TAL-Execution finished with status: "Finished". [C207]
TAL execution finished. Duration: "37s". [C206]
Abarbeitung beendet

Now I have to code the other modules, but I don't have PDC or NBT.
Forget PDC then, and code whatever Head Unit you have (HU_CIC, or HU_CHAMP2, HU_ENTRYNAV, etc.)

Appreciate 1
      07-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #125
The-Hoff
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Forget PDC then, and code whatever Head Unit you have (HU_CIC, or HU_CHAMP2, HU_ENTRYNAV, etc.)
Eureka, Houston, we have lift off!!! The camera is working.

When starting with coding it is difficult to find all the steps in E-sys and I don't want to brick the car.

First I coded the HU_NBT, then the screen changed to PDC with camera view, but with video grayed out. After that I coded REM and KOMBI. I restarted the system by pressing the volume button for 20 seconds and picture was there.

Now I maybe can do some tweaks like full screen etc, but for now I am very happy and will test the rear-view camera!

Shawn, thank you very much, without your help and quick replies it would have been another dull sunday.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #126
The-Hoff
Netherlands
Rep

One last question, we connected the TRSVC on a permanent 12v pin, of course behind a fuse. Is this correct or should the unit be connected to a switched pin on the fuse box.

We are in doubt because in the installation instruction the signal says '15N' for position A8.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #127
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One last question, we connected the TRSVC on a permanent 12v pin, of course behind a fuse. Is this correct or should the unit be connected to a switched pin on the fuse box.

We are in doubt because in the installation instruction the signal says '15N' for position A8.

You talking about this step? I would say it needs to go in the correct Fuse.. I have a screen shot above on that step.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #128
The-Hoff
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
You talking about this step? I would say it needs to go in the correct Fuse.. I have a screen shot above on that step.
Thanks, I totaly missed the fusebox in the bottom of the trunk next to the computer where it should be (the first row is 15N switched), first we plugged the fuse on the one above the battery.

Sadly since yesterday the display shows 'rear view camera malfunction' but the camera is working OK....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:21 AM   #129
hrvojehk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Quote:
Thanks, I totaly missed the fusebox in the bottom of the trunk next to the computer where it should be (the first row is 15N switched), first we plugged the fuse on the one above the battery.

Sadly since yesterday the display shows 'rear view camera malfunction' but the camera is working OK....
You need to reset the ECU and clear errors with Rheingold and the warning will disappear.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #130
The-Hoff
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvojehk View Post
You need to reset the ECU and clear errors with Rheingold and the warning will disappear.
O.K., I have no experience with Rheingold (yet). Is there a link to a topic I can read to learn the basics (better than asking all the 'dummie' questions here...

Where can I download BMW ISTA-D Rheingold (PM?).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #131
The-Hoff
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvojehk View Post
Well, I installed Rheingold and cleared all errors several times. I still get two warnings:

CA8CD04 - LIN-Bus: Rear View Camera antwortet nicht
D0157A - Signalfehler (Radmoment Antrieb 4, ID: WMOM_DRV_4 - Ungültig

The 'Rear View Camera antwortet nicht' / Rear View Camera does not respond' can mean the camera is broken, but I don't see any problems (clear picture, fast response).

A little help would be appreciated ...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #132
hrvojehk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Quote:
Well, I installed Rheingold and cleared all errors several times. I still get two warnings:

CA8CD04 - LIN-Bus: Rear View Camera antwortet nicht
D0157A - Signalfehler (Radmoment Antrieb 4, ID: WMOM_DRV_4 - Ungültig

The 'Rear View Camera antwortet nicht' / Rear View Camera does not respond' can mean the camera is broken, but I don't see any problems (clear picture, fast response).

A little help would be appreciated ...
Did you reset the control unit?

I had the same LIN-bus problem with my side-view camera retrofit, and I had to play around a bit with the ECU reset and clearing the errors. I don't remember exactly what I did, but after a few retries the error message was gone.
Appreciate 0