F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Strange Engine Whirring Noise at 70-75mph
proTUNING Freaks

08-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Strange Engine Whirring Noise at 70-75mph

Hey guys,

So I have this really strange and faint whirring/whining somewhat-high-pitch noise coming from the engine area since day 1. The noise is quite faint but noticeable once you know how to detect it. I have tested many scenarios and it only happens when:

- I am not pressing the pedal
- When speed is 110-120km/h or 70-75mph, different RPM does not alter the sound

The moment when I step on the pedal at that range (even the slightest press), the noise stops. If I drive faster than 75mph and let go of the gas, it also stops but will come back when it hits that speed range. Speed below 70mph will also not cause this noise.

I have no idea what's going on. I have a 2015 335i xDrive with the M Power Kit and my previous 2013 335 without power kit doesn't do that.

Has anyone experienced this before?

dL
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
skiingmav
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I have a very similar sound happening between 65 and 80. When letting off the gas and coasting it will make a noise that sounds like whining gears/noisy diff. It's hard to describe the noise but it only happens between these speeds. I've been trying to figure out what is causing the noise and I'm almost certain it's the transmission, one of the diffs or the transfer case.

When driving in EcoPro mode there is a "coasting" feature that will decouple the trans to allow the car to coast without any engine braking. This happens when you let off the gas at hwy speeds.

When you activate EcoPro the display under the speedo changes from "instant mpg" to "power/charge" There is a little arrow that will slide back and forth over the "power/charge" section. The power and charging indication is separated by a small square box. This arrow will normally be white; when "coasting" is active it will be in the little box and change to blue.

When the car it goes into "coasting" mode the noise completely stops.

Does this describe your situation?

Try this scenario out and see what happens. Maybe it's normal, maybe it's not. Either way its extremely annoying to hear this sound.

Below is taken from BMW's product dealer information:

Powertrain. Pressing down on the accelerator, the driver encounters a “plateau” of resistance at the end of the high-efficiency range. (However, the driver can get maximum acceleration by flooring the pedal.) Transmission upshifts and downshifts occur at lower speeds. In most 2015 models, ECO PRO provides a “coasting” mode that disengages the engine from the drive wheels when the driver lifts off the accelerator at cruising speeds up to 100 mph.

Last edited by skiingmav; 08-31-2015 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Yes you nailed it. I tried Eco pro mode and the noise is gone when it's coasting.

Have you figured out what the problem or fix might be? Has anyone else encountered this as well?

dL
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

This might sound like a dumb question, but do you have run-flats? You'd be surprised at the kinds of strange "engine like" sounds run-flats can produce on clean pave.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 02:57 AM   #5
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone found a solution to this issue. I was noticing the exact same "whine" that sounded like bad differential when I let off the accelerator between 75mph to about 60mph. It goes away immediate if I get back on the throttle. I can't tell if it's drivetrain or the runflats. And I also have a 2015 335ix. Thanks folks!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
BHK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 bluestone M550i

I had the same issue you describe. Dealer found the issue was the transfer case. Replaced under warranty and the sound no longer happens. Mine is a 2016 435ix.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #7
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK View Post
I had the same issue you describe. Dealer found the issue was the transfer case. Replaced under warranty and the sound no longer happens. Mine is a 2016 435ix.
Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate it. I will make a note of it to the dealer the next time I head in. It doesn't seem to cause any issues thus far. But I'd better have it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
DrivingInOttawa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435 Gran Coupe w/M Performance

Transfer case whine from tires not being worn the same front/back

I have a 2016 F36 w/xDrive and both M performance packages on it. I love driving the car (so responsive compared to my 328i) but about 6 months into owning it, I noticed a low-pitched whine that starts at 65 mph and carries through to 75 mph...then disappears. It is louder when the throttle is slack, and it doesn't seem to matter what gear I am in while going through that speed range (or RPM level). I recently took it into the BMW dealership and had the shop foreman come for a ride and he definitely heard it loud and clear, noting the difference in sound when letting the throttle off in that range. They didn't think it was tires, as they checked everything...and they even took another used F36 out they had on the lot and it did it too. Their conclusion: this is just normal for the car. After talking to the service manager and him confirming that multiple other customers have complained of the same thing, I escalated to BMW Canada. They sent me to another dealership and ended up with a new transfer case...but the sound didn't go away (slightly different but still there)! After re-measuring the tires (2mm difference in wear between front and backs, which should not cause any issues), they decided to experiment with a set of used back tires that had the same wear as my fronts...and the sound went away! So, this means that after 4 months of driving on my tires, they ended up not being the same wear and the sound started...so even buying new tires I'm going to have the issue every 4-5 months! BMW dealer is still looking into it, as they don't think the 2mm difference should cause the noise in the transfer case...but it does. Anyone else have this?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #9
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingInOttawa View Post
I have a 2016 F36 w/xDrive and both M performance packages on it. I love driving the car (so responsive compared to my 328i) but about 6 months into owning it, I noticed a low-pitched whine that starts at 65 mph and carries through to 75 mph...then disappears. It is louder when the throttle is slack, and it doesn't seem to matter what gear I am in while going through that speed range (or RPM level). I recently took it into the BMW dealership and had the shop foreman come for a ride and he definitely heard it loud and clear, noting the difference in sound when letting the throttle off in that range. They didn't think it was tires, as they checked everything...and they even took another used F36 out they had on the lot and it did it too. Their conclusion: this is just normal for the car. After talking to the service manager and him confirming that multiple other customers have complained of the same thing, I escalated to BMW Canada. They sent me to another dealership and ended up with a new transfer case...but the sound didn't go away (slightly different but still there)! After re-measuring the tires (2mm difference in wear between front and backs, which should not cause any issues), they decided to experiment with a set of used back tires that had the same wear as my fronts...and the sound went away! So, this means that after 4 months of driving on my tires, they ended up not being the same wear and the sound started...so even buying new tires I'm going to have the issue every 4-5 months! BMW dealer is still looking into it, as they don't think the 2mm difference should cause the noise in the transfer case...but it does. Anyone else have this?
Damn... I'm having this same issue - f30, 335, staggered tires.

From about 65-70 under load i get a whine noise thats pretty feint, but I can hear it...

I'm going to take it to the dealership later this week. We'll see what happens. I'll update when I find out but it'll be a late update.
      10-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
El_Quandro
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335IAX

Same issue here, 19" staggered setup.

50000 km's

RFT tires have 3mm front and 2mm rear tread left.

is there a way to know for shure its the transfercase ?

dont want to bring it to the stealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:50 AM   #11
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi A5 Prestige S/B

Interesting. I have the same. Looks like all X drive cars, too, in this thread.
      10-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
asiansticker
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

First post here; been lurking for a while. This thread goaded me into registering. I have a 328xi and heard a similar noise while under cruise control on the highway this weekend. My first long trip with the car. Right around 80mph (2000-2200 rpm) I heard what sounded like , well, whirring or maybe the engine being under load? At the time I thought it sounded like what a motor would sound like without enough oil lubrication. Only really heard it when the radio volume was low or when the road pavement was smooth (no road noise). I'm going to an indy for an oil change in about a week and will ask them for their input.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #13
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post
Hey guys,

So I have this really strange and faint whirring/whining somewhat-high-pitch noise coming from the engine area since day 1. The noise is quite faint but noticeable once you know how to detect it. I have tested many scenarios and it only happens when:

- I am not pressing the pedal
- When speed is 110-120km/h or 70-75mph, different RPM does not alter the sound

The moment when I step on the pedal at that range (even the slightest press), the noise stops. If I drive faster than 75mph and let go of the gas, it also stops but will come back when it hits that speed range. Speed below 70mph will also not cause this noise.

I have no idea what's going on. I have a 2015 335i xDrive with the M Power Kit and my previous 2013 335 without power kit doesn't do that.

Has anyone experienced this before?

dL
I have this exactly! Except mine happens every single time between 75-80 when cruising, in any gear/rpm etc.

I have an 18 340 xdrive. What gives??? If anyone knows or has experience please chime in
      10-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #14
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingInOttawa View Post
Interesting...I have the noise any my car did it pretty much within the first week of ownership. Still have less than 1k mikes on it
      10-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #15
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
2016 340i XDRIVE, 17k miles currently done this since new.

BUT mine is SPECIFICALLY tied to throttle input at those speeds, at first I thought it was wind noise or something of that sort, coming 100% off the throttle it disappears instantly... enough throttle to maintain speed, present.

Above 85mph I don't hear it (more noise overall?) and it seems to me to be something in the intake tract.

I also notice this whine type noise at low speed between 1700-2000rpm each gear.

I haven't brought it in for it yet, but it was pretty annoying on a recent 2500 mile trip.
      10-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #16
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

I've recently noticed a slight whine sound when in 1st and 2nd gears when starting from a stop, also when coming to a stop when the gearing shifts down to the two lower gears. Almost sounds like when a plane's jet engines start up. Noticed the sound after my last service oil change, but it might have been there before as we usually have the audio playing. Will need to have the service technician check into this. This is in our 2016 428i GC.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #17
xdriverd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 50d

Hello guys

Sorry if I bump this topic I almost have same issue:
In 120-140 I have humming noise coming from car 750Ld xDrive F02.

So far we have changed rear diff, and front diff and transfer case bearings + fluid of them but noise is here again.

When I remove xDrive fuse then noise is not there.

Here is one video showing how it happens etc ( in 120-140 kmh ) when accelerator is slightly pressed when no pressing accelerator or eco pro coasting then noise is not present.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #18
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
This might sound like a dumb question, but do you have run-flats? You'd be surprised at the kinds of strange "engine like" sounds run-flats can produce on clean pave.
Not heard no engine like sounds but have heard some weird howling sounds coming from the tyres only on certain tarmac.
Weird at first as you don't know where it's coming from. It comes and goes until I realised it was the tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:49 AM   #19
Harleybuc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 440I MPPSK 6MT

I just noticed this sound the other day while cruising at highway speed.
I have x drive and staggered tires, non run flats
My 2018 has 6500 miles.
I will try in eco pro etc, to see if I can isolate the conditions and report back.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:32 AM   #20
regomellor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640 xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriverd View Post
Hello guys

Sorry if I bump this topic I almost have same issue:
In 120-140 I have humming noise coming from car 750Ld xDrive F02.

So far we have changed rear diff, and front diff and transfer case bearings + fluid of them but noise is here again.

When I remove xDrive fuse then noise is not there.

Here is one video showing how it happens etc ( in 120-140 kmh ) when accelerator is slightly pressed when no pressing accelerator or eco pro coasting then noise is not present.

Hello, I have the exact same problem! Did you fix it? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 10:58 PM   #21
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
Funny you mention that cos thas what happened tk me, kept hearing this noise like the OP and i have Ruin-Flats, i double checked search on YT and one guy said to make sure all your tires are inflated properly and the same PSI's. Sure enough it fixed that noise, don't kknow if OP will have the same results though..
      02-15-2020, 11:12 PM   #22
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
2016 340i XDRIVE, 17k miles currently done this since new.

BUT mine is SPECIFICALLY tied to throttle input at those speeds, at first I thought it was wind noise or something of that sort, coming 100% off the throttle it disappears instantly... enough throttle to maintain speed, present.

Above 85mph I don't hear it (more noise overall?) and it seems to me to be something in the intake tract.

I also notice this whine type noise at low speed between 1700-2000rpm each gear.

I haven't brought it in for it yet, but it was pretty annoying on a recent 2500 mile trip.
I'm glad I found your post, although it looks like you moved on to a new M340i.

I have the exact same whining noise occurring with every shift between 1700 and 2000 RPMs. The dealer foreman thinks it's just characters of the B58 drivetrain. It's annoying and I can hear it if I keep the RPMs in that range.

I already had a Transfers Case replaced for a while while coasting below 32 MPH at about 8000 miles, which sounded like a fire siren from a distance

Other than that, the car drives just fine. Were you able to ever find the root cause of the noise?
Appreciate 0