F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Indy Shop or invest in extended maintence plan
proTUNING Freaks

09-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
Waltabeast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i M sport

Indy Shop or invest in extended maintence plan

Hello All,

I need some BMW vets to help me out here and I’ll try to keep it short, but i have a lot to say lol. I recently took over a 2016 435i with about 23k. I’m now at 26k. Since the previous maintanece plans don’t transfer I’m trying to decide which route to go. Since I don’t have a maintance plan and aren’t required to go to the dealer should i go to a trusted local indys (found a few on yelp already) or invest in an extended maintence plan? I spoke with an advisor today at the dealership because I went in for the “brake fluid service minder” popped up. He pointed out refreshing the plan for $700 will only take me to 10/2019 or 40k miles so it would make more sense to get the extended or get nothing at all. I was advised to go home and think of my options instead of paying for the brake service and ending up buying the extended plan later on. He seemed like an honest guy genuinely trying to help my options.

So I’m thinking should I:
A: Just get my services at a local Indy.
B. Invest in the extended plan, which will eventually pay for the M sport brakes refresh (roughly $2300).
C. Just pay by service at the dealer.

And if it matters I drive roughly 20k-22k miles a year.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltabeast View Post
Hello All,

I need some BMW vets to help me out here and I’ll try to keep it short, but i have a lot to say lol. I recently took over a 2016 435i with about 23k. I’m now at 26k. Since the previous maintanece plans don’t transfer I’m trying to decide which route to go. Since I don’t have a maintance plan and aren’t required to go to the dealer should i go to a trusted local indys (found a few on yelp already) or invest in an extended maintence plan? I spoke with an advisor today at the dealership because I went in for the “brake fluid service minder” popped up. He pointed out refreshing the plan for $700 will only take me to 10/2019 or 40k miles so it would make more sense to get the extended or get nothing at all. I was advised to go home and think of my options instead of paying for the brake service and ending up buying the extended plan later on. He seemed like an honest guy genuinely trying to help my options.

So I’m thinking should I:
A: Just get my services at a local Indy.
B. Invest in the extended plan, which will eventually pay for the M sport brakes refresh (roughly $2300).
C. Just pay by service at the dealer.

And if it matters I drive roughly 20k-22k miles a year.
Online prices of BMW M sport brake parts are not that much more than base brake parts.

$2300 can be saved for lots of parts + indy labor + even dealer labor, esp. for maintenance.

Do watch out for coupon/special from dealers, e.g. brake fluid + coolant for $300 including tax, oil change for $100 + tax.

Engine air filter/cabin air filter/wiper blades are easy DIYs.

Brakes can be DIY too, esp. pads-only when rotors are within min. thickness per spec.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
I personally have been very happy with my Indy BMW/Mini shop. In my experience dealerships don't do well with non-warranty repairs as they tend to replace entire component clusters rather than investigate, problem solve and repair or replace single parts. This really doesn't matter much when someone else is paying (BMW corporate) but it sucks when you have to foot the bill. If you are worried about big repair items in the next few years, you are much better of buying an aftermarket "warranty" that allows you to choose your shop than to pay for some service plan that limits you to the dealership. Also, dealerships don't always do well with older cars since they are in the business of selling you a new vehicle and also mostly work on newer cars. A dealership in Germany didn't appropriately repair the parking brake on my 2003 e46 (manual and my area there is very hilly, so parking brake is super important for safety) two years ago and it only got fixed right after I took it to the local Indy. Same here in the US, I have currently three BMW products here and I trust my Indy way more than the dealership which I only use for recalls.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Waltabeast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i M sport

Thanks for the input guys. I think I’m going to go the option with a local Indy. Thankfully I’ve found some with some great reviews within 15 miles of me.
Appreciate 0