F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The 335d Has Arrived
ARMA SPEED

11-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Smile The 335d Has Arrived

Went to finally collect my new 335d today. What a fantastic car!!! Very pleased with it overall.
Not really had time to push it to any limits, but it certainly seems to have a fair bit of poke.
One of my main concerns before I got it was the standard spring set up on the xdrives - but - I honestly say that I'm quite amazed how good and controlled the suspension really is and seems I was worrying about nothing.
In fact I'd go as far as saying that even in comfort mode body roll is about the SAME as my E90 330d M Sport - and certainly no worse. I'm also quite amazed how you do not notice the extra weight that the 335d is supposed to carry and the car seems surprisingly agile.

VSS seems great and well worth having (although I've not driven a non-VSS M Sport).

I do have a couple of slight concerns....

When tried it in Sport mode tonight I'll be honest, I couldn't tell a lot of difference between this and Comfort mode, other than the revs rising. I checked later and confirmed both drive train and chassis were set (default). I have adaptive and I'd have thought I'd notice more of a change in the stiffness of the suspension?

I also have the visibility pack and tried the headlamp assist/adaptive and it didn't seem to behave any different to my old E90. ie I thought they were supposed to put a box around the car in front and still illuminate the side of the road etc.. etc... They don't appear to do this to me and go either On or Off. I'm obviously pressing the button on the stalk to activate them and get the 'A' symbol on the dash.

Can anybody shed any light on the above two queries? Or maybe I'm just expecting too much from these.

Spec:

Pro Media
M Sport Plus Pack
Visibility Pack
Adaptive Suspension
Variable Sport Steering
Interior Comfort Package
Folding Mirrors
Front Heated Seats
Rear Heated Seats
Model designation delete (rear and side)
Extended storage
Colour ... black outside and inside

Apologies for the crappy iphone pics, these were took at the dealer when I picked it up earlier, I'll get some better ones posted up soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by dopper99; 11-24-2013 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Nice motor! Looking forward to hearing and seeing more over the next few days...
Congrats
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Congratulations! your toy is finally here, looks stunning..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks chaps. The F3X is truly a fantastic car!

Its a novelty for me getting used to an auto - its the first one I've had as my last two E90's were manual. But what a brilliant 'box, the sport auto.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

I notice the suspension stiffening only by the fact that the ride over bumps/potholes is a lot more noticeable. I like the way the steering becomes heavier.
      11-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

There is a very noticeable change in the suspension when you switch from comfort to sport so so something wrong if you can't feel that. The steering is tighter and the throttle response increases.

The latter is less noticeable but the first two are obvious
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks chaps. On the way in to work today I went over several speed bumps and switched between Comfort and Sport and to me I couldn’t tell any difference with regards “bumpyness”. I even checked last night on an online VIN checker to make sure my car had these options and it appears to have them!

I will have another look at lunchtime….
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Looks lovely. We don't seem to be seeing many black 3ers this time around.

You really should notice the difference between Sport and Comfort. Find a nice bit of road and run it standard. Then do it again in Sport/Sport+ with the gear lever knocked over to the left. It's quite obvious in mine, maybe a little softer in the xDrives? I doubt it though.

Re: Visibility Pack, unless there's some option in iDrive (there might be, did I dream that?) High Beam Assist should be totally obvious too. If that road you're racing up and down testing your suspension on is unlit then press the button on the stalk and come up behind another car. Your lights should have already switched to full beam and they'll adapt to the car in front or oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Nice
Some roads I find the adaptive settings very similar but I thought it was quite noticeable when switching between them on a motorway run. In sport you can feel a fidgeting over the road imperfections that are not there in comfort.

Have you used the paddles in anger yet,? They're probably my favorite part so far,... oh, and the evo-esk tailslides in sport +
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Looks lovely. We don't seem to be seeing many black 3ers this time around.

You really should notice the difference between Sport and Comfort. Find a nice bit of road and run it standard. Then do it again in Sport/Sport+ with the gear lever knocked over to the left. It's quite obvious in mine, maybe a little softer in the xDrives? I doubt it though.

Re: Visibility Pack, unless there's some option in iDrive (there might be, did I dream that?) High Beam Assist should be totally obvious too. If that road you're racing up and down testing your suspension on is unlit then press the button on the stalk and come up behind another car. Your lights should have already switched to full beam and they'll adapt to the car in front or oncoming traffic.
Thanks Rich, so when you come up to a car in front should the blue main beam light stay on? I think it should from what I’ve read in the handbook. I was on an unlit road at around 50mph. Mine seem to switch off the main beam if it detects a car way ahead in the same way my E90 did - very odd.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
Nice
Some roads I find the adaptive settings very similar but I thought it was quite noticeable when switching between them on a motorway run. In sport you can feel a fidgeting over the road imperfections that are not there in comfort.

Have you used the paddles in anger yet,? They're probably my favorite part so far,... oh, and the evo-esk tailslides in sport +
Yes, had a quick play with the paddles last night but not really in anger yet.
As the Sport mode (in default) was holding onto the gears, just used them to change down.
Seems all good fun though.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #12
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i MY2014

Nice! Haha to the i marketing - kinda says "compare your car to the future"
ACS Springs & M Sport+ Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack : Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium/gloss black bar, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass, Sun band, Electric side mirrors, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sports Steering, Black Panel display, Enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Give the lights time, I wasn't overwhelmed to begin with either then I took a different route home one night through the lanes and wow its ace!

I'm the same with the difference between comfort and sport, cant really tell a difference to be honest other than it extending the gear change a bit, but I guess that's exactly what its supposed to do?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #14
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Maybe it needs a few more miles to run in for you to notice a difference with the engine in sport mode, I don't have 335 but my 330 seems a lot more urgent in Sport mode (gearstick knocked over etc...). If I'm driving along in comfort or eco and I select sport the car seems to surge forward as the revs quickly change, accelerator is more sensitive to the slightest touch. I've done about 4000 miles now and I'm sure it's starting to make a difference the more it's run in, there was another thread on here somewhere (possibly the main forum) whereby this was discussed, basically needs a few miles to run in and tighten up properly.
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Ok, thanks chaps. Some good points there.

I think I need to be a little more patient! But I want everything to be perfect, right from the off.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #16
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

Wahey that's lovely. Don't cars look great indoors - even black ones

Come come now, as they're all saying, give it time and adaptive this and that will become more pronounced. It's all new and in the case of the suspension, you just need to live with it more. I think the headlights thing is very sensitive to other light sources. It sounds like it'll happen just when you actually need it.

But need some nicer pics. Look, the sun's out now...
      11-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
R32Paul
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d X-drive Touring

HBA on my car needs some time to 'calibrate itself' each time I use it. To start with is 'just' turns the high beam on and off. After a period of time (around 5 minutes) it starts working it's stuff.

As to the suspension, check in the settings that you don't have sport configured to 'drivetrain only'. It is in vechicle settings IIRC.

Here, and by god it's awesome.

Last edited by R32Paul; 11-12-2013 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Speeeling
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32Paul View Post
HBA on my car needs some time to 'calibrate itself' each time I use it. To start with is 'just' turns the high beam on and off. After a period of time (around 5 minutes) it starts working it's stuff.

As to the suspension, check in the settings that you don't have sport configured to 'drivetrain only'. It is in vechicle settings IIRC.
My HBA works immediately and as outlined in my multiple videos (see SomeRandomer123 on YouTube and all over Bimmerpost), just like the BMW official dynamic lighting video.

Maybe the OP just hasn't been in the right unlit parameters yet for it to start working its magic!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Maybe the OP just hasn't been in the right unlit parameters yet for it to start working its magic!
That could be true, but I was on an unlit A road in the middle of nowhere, so I assume it should work!
Will have a play more later....
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
That could be true, but I was on an unlit A road in the middle of nowhere, so I assume it should work!
Will have a play more later....
Unlit A road, no other vehicles - should be both full beam with the most intense focus in the centre - looking like a digital rectangle.

Unlit A road, vehicle ahead, no oncoming. Both full full beam with a tunnel created, adapting to the movement of the car infront and the curves of the road.

Unlit A road, vehicle ahead, oncoming incoming. Full beam and tunnel around the car ahead as above.
Right xenon behaviour: Oncoming detected, right full beam moved further and further right to widen the tunnel to ensure the oncoming car is not being dazzled. Right beam returned to dipped when it cannot move any further right and beam returned to normal straight position, or wherever the adaptive lights want it.
Left xenon behaviour: Full beam maintained. Left side of tunnel for car ahead maintained. May be moved further left depending on road.
Both beams will also adapt to how far or close the car in front is too and will try to just be on the bottom of the bumper. This is with HBA active but not necessarily on high beam, so HBA does do more than just manage high beams.
If you follow at Audi bellend distance, don't be surprised if it throws in the towel and doesn't work.

Unlit A road, no vehicle ahead, oncoming traffic. Full beam until the oncoming is detected (detection up to 1200m). Beam's split to create a tunnel, with the right bulb moving further right as the oncoming vehicle gets closer. As above, when the limit is reached, the right lamp will be dipped and returned to normal position. The left beam will steadily be moving further left and then may suddenly sweep left as the right xenon is dipped to ensure dazzle free!
Both return to high beam with the focus clearly on centre/where the adaptive lights are pointing through a corner.

Overtaking a car ahead on an unlit A road, no oncoming. Full beam as a tunnel. Move right and boot it, left beam will move rapidly left to maintain the tunnel, right beam may move slightly right. Beginning to pass, left beam will move as left as possible then will be dipped and return to normal position. Right full beam is maintained and looks straight ahead.
Alongside (no vehicle visible in front), back to high beam focused where adaptive lights dictate. Straight and centre I would hope if you're overtaking!

*HBA is dependent on speed and will act differently according to speed and what mode the Adaptive Lights have gone into according to speed - i.e. >60mph for 20 seconds activates motorway mode.

** I have seen in a video somewhere of the new generation iDrive (CIC-HIGH) there is an option to activate Dazzle Free HBA rather than the crude on/off of the E-Series generation. This may not have been a UK model though. Not had a play with the new gen Professional Navigaton myself yet, though it was fitted to a 2013 M135i I screwed. However, I was too busy burning petrol.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks for the write up, that's how I expect it to work.
However, it seems to be doing the crude on/off just like my E90 did. Strange....
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Beautiful car and great spec!

Re the lights maybe I'm behind the time but I though to have the full monty you needed adaptive LED lights (not Xenon) to put beams around oncoming cars etc? I thought with HBA with Xenons was on and off? Again I state I might be very wrong and I'm very impressed if the newer HBA with Xenons does all the trick light shaping! Cooool!

Anyway back to the main point, fantastic motor enjoy!