F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > M4 seats in the F30
Extreme Powerhouse

05-14-2023, 02:33 AM   #1
dozug
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M sports

M4 seats in the F30

Hello guys,

I'm trying to put F4 seats in the F30, already done all the swapping.

I didn't swap out the airbag module but I cleared the driver/passenger side restraint with OBD adapter.

By the way, driver side works as it should, adjustment and the bolster which came with the original. I just need to wire the heat/lumbar and then code them (I need help on the coding)

And when I was swapping the passenger side, mine didnt came with grey seat ECU module as attached. As a result, the seat moves only 30 sec ~ 60 sec after connecting the battery.

So with passenger side not moving at all, I need instruction for the coding..

I'm considering buying:

1. Enet cable:
https://www.amazon.com/OHP-Ethernet-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2. ISTA software:
https://www.bimmerdiagnostics.com/

OR any recommendation in SOCAL for the coding?

Thanks for reading and thank you for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 03:01 AM   #2
dozug
Private First Class
Rep

any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 06:33 AM   #3
Revoltos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i

There are a number of variations to how BMW set up the seats.
Some have small black control units under both seats and are controlled by the LIN network.
Others have the larger grey control unit under drivers and small black control unit under the passenger. Depending on year, they can be controlled by either the LIN or the KCAN or KCAN 2 network.
Your new seats seem to be a variation again, with no control unit under the passenger seat.
Do you have Kcan red/yellow & yellow/brown or Kcan 2 orange/green & orange connections going to either seat plug?
Do you know what year of car the M4 seats came from?
What setup was your car originally?
Can you see the seat module in Esys?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 10:18 AM   #4
jamborees
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

I've fitted an F80 interior with electric seats with memory, heating and lumbar. My car came with manual sports seats with seat heating and bolster adjustment.

I had to make up a wiring loom and run a few connections to the fuse box in to the OEM fuse positions to power functions, and a couple to FEM. Then it's just a single one to wire the M illuminated seat badge. That was a simple tap off the lighting circuit.

I had the white module on the drivers memory side, and black module on the passenger side on my M3 seats.

Have you checked what pins are already running to your yellow socket? That way you can work out what you need to connect. I found once the wiring was sorted my seats worked on both sides, but they didn't have heat and memory working correctly.

Coding wise I used E-SYS and added the VO coding for the seats. For calibration I used ISTA D

There's a great thread here - https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/f...trofit.891713/

Also another thread here - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1068546&page=5
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 11:09 PM   #5
dozug
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoltos View Post
There are a number of variations to how BMW set up the seats.
Some have small black control units under both seats and are controlled by the LIN network.
Others have the larger grey control unit under drivers and small black control unit under the passenger. Depending on year, they can be controlled by either the LIN or the KCAN or KCAN 2 network.
Your new seats seem to be a variation again, with no control unit under the passenger seat.
Do you have Kcan red/yellow & yellow/brown or Kcan 2 orange/green & orange connections going to either seat plug?
Do you know what year of car the M4 seats came from?
What setup was your car originally?
Can you see the seat module in Esys?
Thanks for the input. there is no control module for the passenger seat, just electric controller, no bolster, no heat, no memory.

I havent connected the cable to run diagnostics of the car so Im not sure..

The M4 seat was from 2016 and my car is 2013 with M sport, sport seat.

Passenger side actually works, but only few seconds after the battery discconection/re-connection.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 11:13 PM   #6
dozug
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamborees View Post
I've fitted an F80 interior with electric seats with memory, heating and lumbar. My car came with manual sports seats with seat heating and bolster adjustment.

I had to make up a wiring loom and run a few connections to the fuse box in to the OEM fuse positions to power functions, and a couple to FEM. Then it's just a single one to wire the M illuminated seat badge. That was a simple tap off the lighting circuit.

I had the white module on the drivers memory side, and black module on the passenger side on my M3 seats.

Have you checked what pins are already running to your yellow socket? That way you can work out what you need to connect. I found once the wiring was sorted my seats worked on both sides, but they didn't have heat and memory working correctly.

Coding wise I used E-SYS and added the VO coding for the seats. For calibration I used ISTA D

There's a great thread here - https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/f...trofit.891713/

Also another thread here - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1068546&page=5
For the fucntions of the seats, bolster, lumber, heat, i will be re-wiring the seats in the future, but for now, i just want the electric position to be working without disconnecting the battery. Someone said i need to code it to the car since passenger side didnt come with the grey module like the M4 seat.. Driver side works as it should, i just need to add some wire to the car for the heat and lumber i believe..

As for E-SYS and VO coding, do you have guide on how to? Will be low Enet cable can work with the E-SYS software?

Enet cable:
https://www.amazon.com/OHP-Ethernet-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 12:11 AM   #7
jamborees
Private
Rep

I’ve got you. On your passenger side, it sounds like you’re missing the constant 12v power you need. I experienced a similar thing when I fitted mine and as soon as I’d ran the power cables all the physical functions of the seat worked immediately. The easiest way to check is examine the female yellow connector on the seat, and then your male connector on the car side and note which ones are populated and which aren’t.

The coding element just enabled the module functions within the control boxes. On the basis there is no box on the passenger seat, I don’t think coding will affect the functionality, it will however help on the drivers side with the memory and heating, and enabling calibration in ISTA. Bear in mind you will need wired connections to FEM for the car to see the module. I tapped the wires to the idrive unit on my retrofit as the wires are closer, but some run direct to the FEM unit.

The cable you’ve linked looks correct. E-SYS VO coding guide here - https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...0&d=1438745738
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 02:44 AM   #8
dozug
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’ve got you. On your passenger side, it sounds like you’re missing the constant 12v power you need. I experienced a similar thing when I fitted mine and as soon as I’d ran the power cables all the physical functions of the seat worked immediately. The easiest way to check is examine the female yellow connector on the seat, and then your male connector on the car side and note which ones are populated and which aren’t.

The coding element just enabled the module functions within the control boxes. On the basis there is no box on the passenger seat, I don’t think coding will affect the functionality, it will however help on the drivers side with the memory and heating, and enabling calibration in ISTA. Bear in mind you will need wired connections to FEM for the car to see the module. I tapped the wires to the idrive unit on my retrofit as the wires are closer, but some run direct to the FEM unit.

The cable you’ve linked looks correct. E-SYS VO coding guide here - https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...0&d=1438745738
Hmm.. yeah i was wondering if there is something missing from the original yellow connector but in my finding, there is only one pin from the original and there are multiple pins from the M4 seats so i scratched my head because it should take connection.. Not so sure which are the constant power for the M4 seat though.

By the way, driver side works as it should without any problem
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 04:54 AM   #9
jamborees
Private
Rep

Cool, PIN 1 is the backwidth/lumbar support, so that from your previous seats.

I didn't have pin 3 on mine, this could be the switch control perhaps for adjusting the seat when it's folded forward which is specific to M4 seats, on M3 you don't have that.

On mine the wiring was:

PIN 5- Wire to FEM module PIN 51
PIN 6- Wire to FEM module PIN 52
PIN 7- Illumination to M badge light. Tapped light in rear of centre console. This allows it to be permanently on.

Have you got power to PIN 25, and negative to PIN 26?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 11:53 AM   #10
dozug
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Cool, PIN 1 is the backwidth/lumbar support, so that from your previous seats.

I didn't have pin 3 on mine, this could be the switch control perhaps for adjusting the seat when it's folded forward which is specific to M4 seats, on M3 you don't have that.

On mine the wiring was:

PIN 5- Wire to FEM module PIN 51
PIN 6- Wire to FEM module PIN 52
PIN 7- Illumination to M badge light. Tapped light in rear of centre console. This allows it to be permanently on.

Have you got power to PIN 25, and negative to PIN 26?
Pin5,6 are these for heated/lumbar?
As for the Pin7, i found a thread for illuminated M badge.

Pin25 and Pin26 seem empty from both original and M seats, am i missing something?

so do you think this is something wrong with the wiring? not the coding?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 04:18 PM   #11
jamborees
Private
Rep

This is a bit different to my install as I had modules on both sides due to the heating. I just re-read above, am I right in thinking these aren't M4 heated seats?

Also doing a bit of digging around there seems to be a few threads where people have retrofitted M4 seats to other BMW's. The situation with them powering and then sleeping seems to be linked to K-CAN, which is PIN 5 and 6.

This is how I wired it. Info from Bimmerfest:

PIN5, K-CAN L (GN);0.35 MM² wire - A88*1b iDrive Controller PIN4;
PIN6, K-CAN H (OR/GN), 0.35 MM² wire -A88*1b iDrive Controller PIN3;
(Above two pins eventually connect to FEM A173*8B PIN51 and FEM A173*8B PIN52 respectively. But considering the accessibility, tapping to iDrive controller is a better choice.)

I used the BMW OEM wire taps to make the connections in the centre consoles. Part number - 61138364566
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 08:03 PM   #12
dozug
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This is a bit different to my install as I had modules on both sides due to the heating. I just re-read above, am I right in thinking these aren't M4 heated seats?

Also doing a bit of digging around there seems to be a few threads where people have retrofitted M4 seats to other BMW's. The situation with them powering and then sleeping seems to be linked to K-CAN, which is PIN 5 and 6.

This is how I wired it. Info from Bimmerfest:

PIN5, K-CAN L (GN);0.35 MM² wire - A88*1b iDrive Controller PIN4;
PIN6, K-CAN H (OR/GN), 0.35 MM² wire -A88*1b iDrive Controller PIN3;
(Above two pins eventually connect to FEM A173*8B PIN51 and FEM A173*8B PIN52 respectively. But considering the accessibility, tapping to iDrive controller is a better choice.)

I used the BMW OEM wire taps to make the connections in the centre consoles. Part number - 61138364566
I gotcha, I guess Pin 5,6 is for the powering the grey module box so wire them to PIN 51,52 front fuse box (FEM)?

I just checked the spec of the M4, and it seem like it has heated option. (Option 494) so not sure why the wiring for the Pin 25,26 is missing..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 01:32 AM   #13
jamborees
Private
Rep

That’s interesting. You may need to try and get a pin out diagram for that seat. I’d always though that the heated seats were module controlled. The ones I’m familiar with have a smaller black module connected to LIN on PIN8 when it’s heating only, then if it’s the large white module when running heat and memory it’s PIN5 and PIN6 on K-CAN bus.

You can wire 5 and 6 direct to the FEM or you can pickup the same bus at the idrive controller. I found tapping at the idrive controller more convenient

In my experience you would expect for the seat heating and the power movement aspects of the seat to see two separate heavier gauge wires going in to the plug connector and two grounds also.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 07:17 PM   #14
alexonahurry
Ozzy Dude
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i LCI

Garage List
How did you mount the seat belt? Unlike M4/coupe seats F30s have the seat belt mounted to the seat and all coupes to the B pillar. I'm not talking about the tensioners at the center console. There is no mounting hole. Updated my F30 with F80 seats

Last edited by alexonahurry; 05-23-2023 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:48 AM   #15
dozug
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexonahurry View Post
How did you mount the seat belt? Unlike M4/coupe seats F30s have the seat belt mounted to the seat and all coupes to the B pillar. I'm not talking about the tensioners at the center console. There is no mounting hole. Updated my F30 with F80 seats
I mounted the seat belt to the back of the seat bolt.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 06:39 PM   #16
dozug
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That’s interesting. You may need to try and get a pin out diagram for that seat. I’d always though that the heated seats were module controlled. The ones I’m familiar with have a smaller black module connected to LIN on PIN8 when it’s heating only, then if it’s the large white module when running heat and memory it’s PIN5 and PIN6 on K-CAN bus.

You can wire 5 and 6 direct to the FEM or you can pickup the same bus at the idrive controller. I found tapping at the idrive controller more convenient

In my experience you would expect for the seat heating and the power movement aspects of the seat to see two separate heavier gauge wires going in to the plug connector and two grounds also.
Sorry I was busy lately.. For the Pins 5,6, do i use this?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...61130006663kt/

Little bit confusing about the heat seat option.. were there F70 M3 with no heated seat options?? looks like pin 25,26 is for the heat element and there is black module for the seat heating element, but mine doesnt have the small black module..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 03:03 AM   #17
jamborees
Private
Rep

You use this one for the K-CAN:

Bushing contact 0,2- 0,5MM² - 61130005197

The wire gauge for these cables is 0.35 MM²

I've haven't seen a heated seat without a module, so it's very possible it's not heated. Are you sure your drivers side one is?

Mine had 15 and 25 with power, and 16 and 26 to ground.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 07:04 PM   #18
alexonahurry
Ozzy Dude
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozug View Post
I mounted the seat belt to the back of the seat bolt.
that sounds like a good solution - have a pic?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 08:49 AM   #19
jurek_purek
Rep
Drives: F30 325d

hi

did you fix it

i have same problem
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 12:51 PM   #20
jurek_purek
Rep