F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake Noise
GetBMWParts

04-29-2024, 03:32 PM   #1
MysteriousGas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Brake Noise

I have been having this extremely annoying brake squeal that only happens once the brakes begin to get some heat in them. (ie. from stop and go traffic or stopping from freeway speeds) When I take the car out after sitting it will not make the noise until the brakes have been used a few times. I originally had on Jurid pads and Zimmerman dimpled and slotted rotors and thought it may have been the pads so I replaced them with Hawk HPS 5.0 and had the rotors resurfaced. After doing those two things, I took the car out to test it and it continued to make the exact same squeal. I have tried different types of lubes on the pad backing plates but that doesn't seem to be the issue. If anyone has experience with this and has a solution please let me know cause this thing has been driving me insane. The squeal is not a healthy sounding one either like you would normally hear on most cars or m cars and they are a bit embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 01:25 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Few questions first.

- Were Jurid pads installed together with new Zimmermann dimpled / slotted rotors (assume to be equivalent to M Performance OEM rotors?

- Did the symptoms appear immediately or after some time?

- Did your car have smooth rotors before? Any issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 02:13 PM   #3
MysteriousGas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Few questions first.

- Were Jurid pads installed together with new Zimmermann dimpled / slotted rotors (assume to be equivalent to M Performance OEM rotors?

- Did the symptoms appear immediately or after some time?

- Did your car have smooth rotors before? Any issues?
Jurid pads were installed with Zimmermann rotors. They worked fine for quite a long time and developed the noise after 10-15k miles.

I replaced the jurid pads with hawks as a result and had the rotors resurfaced along with it.

The car had smooth rotors when I first got the car from the original owner but were towards the end of their life so I didn't really have experience with them. Presumably no issues though.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 04:06 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteriousGas View Post
Jurid pads were installed with Zimmermann rotors. They worked fine for quite a long time and developed the noise after 10-15k miles.

I replaced the jurid pads with hawks as a result and had the rotors resurfaced along with it.

The car had smooth rotors when I first got the car from the original owner but were towards the end of their life so I didn't really have experience with them. Presumably no issues though.
It's not generally recommended to resurface slotted+dimpled rotors for a variety of reasons. In short, slots and dimples are precisely engineered to improve heat dissipation and gas venting. Removing the thin layer of metal transitions the rotor to the grey area between slotted+dimpled and smooth. The slots become less effective in shaving off the brake compound which is necessary to expose a fresh layer of brake compound. Over time, insufficient heat dissipation will also cause the brake pad surface to glaze, or become hardened and smooth. That's when brake squealing symptoms begin.

BMW M Sport brakes - smooth rotors + softer OEM pads - work well for practically all driving conditions, offering an excellent initial aggressive bite.

I suggest to consider returning to smooth rotors and OEM (or less expensive equivalent) brake pads.

PS. There are many brake pads on the market and you may receive many suggestions favoring one over the other. In practice, what matters more is your driving style and whether you favor extending rotor life at the expense of shorter brake pad life (the by product is more brake dust - an entire normal outcome). BMW M Sport brakes - as an integrated braking system - favor extending rotor life. Any brake pad which is more suitable for tracking the vehicle is most likely not a good candidate.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 04:19 PM   #5
keithyo88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i msport rwd

[BMW M Sport brakes - smooth rotors + softer OEM pads - work well for practically all driving conditions, offering an excellent initial aggressive bite.]

thanks for the explanation. must be why installing Akebono all around worked well with original rotors, untouched, for street only.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5922.50
      05-06-2024, 05:40 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyo88 View Post
[BMW M Sport brakes - smooth rotors + softer OEM pads - work well for practically all driving conditions, offering an excellent initial aggressive bite.]

thanks for the explanation. must be why installing Akebono all around worked well with original rotors, untouched, for street only.
Glad to help!
Appreciate 0