F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW 440i All Cylinders Misfiring, Injection switched off error codes
Extreme Powerhouse

02-25-2021, 06:53 PM   #1
nkhaira
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

BMW 440i All Cylinders Misfiring, Injection switched off error codes

Hello Everyone,

Just as a background I have 46k miles on my B58 440i Coupe. I also have MPPSK, BM3 Stage 1 93, and VRSF Catless Downpipe.

I was pulling into my grocery store parking lot when all of a sudden my car started shaking and the REVs started to move up and down by themselves and then I got hit with the drivetrain malfunction and check engine light. This caught me all by surprise and since I was only 1-2 miles from home I got home as quickly as I could..the car was completely limping all the way home with barely any power and one point did shut off due to the auto start/stop..

I recently got my spark plugs changed with the ones on GETBMWPARTS and got them installed by a reputable Indy but that was two weeks ago (not sure if their install error would have showed up earlier?) also got an oil change done by Open Road BMW in Edison.

These are the codes I pulled in BM3 when I got home, and I reflashed the tune back to stock and relocked the DME.

[IMG]https://ibb.co/Fxfjtv5
https://ibb.co/LJXrsMZ[/IMG]

Thanks for any help in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xdrive

In NJ? Where did you get the spark plugs done? Also, which spark plugs did you install? Did flashing back to stock fix the car?
      02-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #3
nkhaira
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca10 View Post
In NJ? Where did you get the spark plugs done? Also, which spark plugs did you install? Did flashing back to stock fix the car?
Yup New Jersey, I got them done at German Car Shop in Edison on Route 27 and these were the spark plugs: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ug-12120040551

(I believe they were NGK)

I just flashed it back and my buddy who is a mechanic said to just hold off till tomorrow morning so he can take a look at everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #4
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhaira View Post
Quote:
Yup New Jersey, I got them done at German Car Shop in Edison on Route 27 and these were the spark plugs: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ug-12120040551

(I believe they were NGK)

I just flashed it back and my buddy who is a mechanic said to just hold off till tomorrow morning so he can take a look at everything.
I believe those are ngk's as well, the 94201's which are stock so it's the correct plug. I do still think it's related to the plugs since they were just installed and because misfires are often traced to plugs.

It is strange though that all cylinders misfired at once. Make sure plugs are torqued at 23nm/17ft-lb. Keep me updated on what happens, curious
      02-25-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Starting with a caveat that remote diagnostics aren't always helpful ...

The fault code 130F20 indicates a potential camshaft position sensor failure. That's perhaps why all cylinders began to misfire.

I suggest to take the car to a qualified BMW mechanic or the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #6
nkhaira
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe those are ngk's as well, the 94201's which are stock so it's the correct plug. I do still think it's related to the plugs since they were just installed and because misfires are often traced to plugs.

It is strange though that all cylinders misfired at once. Make sure plugs are torqued at 23nm/17ft-lb. Keep me updated on what happens, curious
Will do man appreciate that, will check it out tomorrow and update..hope to see you on the road at some point !

I am just surprised the car would run normally for two weeks then, and it just start happening? is that common for spark plugs to show up that much later after installation?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #7
nkhaira
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Starting with a caveat that remote diagnostics aren't always helpful ...

The fault code 130F20 indicates a potential camshaft position sensor failure. That's perhaps why all cylinders began to misfire.

I suggest to take the car to a qualified BMW mechanic or the dealer.
Got it, hopefully my buddy can figure something out tomorrow morning but if not will take it down to the shop I got the plugs installed from..out of warranty so trying to avoid the dealer as much as possible..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Will do man appreciate that, will check it out tomorrow and update..hope to see you on the road at some point !

I am just surprised the car would run normally for two weeks then, and it just start happening? is that common for spark plugs to show up that much later after installation?
If they cracked one on install, yes. But like mentioned above, all cylinder misfire doesn't feel like a spark plug issue.
Appreciate 1
G.Newt810.00
      03-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #9
nkhaira
Private
United_States
Rep

Hey guys,

So I heard back from the Indy today and they said they believe it was a corrupted DME..does this seem likely? He asked me if I ever put anything extra on the car and I said yes bootmod3 stage 1 +GTS startup roar a very reputable tune..it doesn’t seem like to me this would have caused the error but what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #10
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Hey guys,

So I heard back from the Indy today and they said they believe it was a corrupted DME..does this seem likely? He asked me if I ever put anything extra on the car and I said yes bootmod3 stage 1 +GTS startup roar a very reputable tune..it doesn’t seem like to me this would have caused the error but what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
The one good thing about my local BMW community: I get to see all the N54 problems lol. Usually the mosfets on their MSD80 DME were dying and would give an all cylinder misfire. It's either that or fueling (HPFP was the likely culprit for N54).
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 07:52 PM   #11
nkhaira
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
The one good thing about my local BMW community: I get to see all the N54 problems lol. Usually the mosfets on their MSD80 DME were dying and would give an all cylinder misfire. It's either that or fueling (HPFP was the likely culprit for N54).
I understand and not sounding sarcastic (sorry) but would a N54 problem be applicable to the B58? Just really trying to figure out what is going on here. The most common solution I am seeing now is either spark plugs/ignition coils or vanos/timing chain (which should be the same thing if I am not mistaken?)

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:20 PM   #12
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
I understand and not sounding sarcastic (sorry) but would a N54 problem be applicable to the B58? Just really trying to figure out what is going on here. The most common solution I am seeing now is either spark plugs/ignition coils or vanos/timing chain (which should be the same thing if I am not mistaken?)

Thank you!
I totally get you lol, didn't think you were being sarcastic! And I think we've seen only 1 or 2 other people post with your issue. I don't believe they got to the bottom of it or reported back. So in short: I'm not sure.

Your mechanic, when he recommended the DME was the problem, might've been using BMW history/context as well. I mentioned the N54 DME problem to the other guy on here as well as the only other time I've seen an all cylinder misfire on this motor, or at least posted about.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:51 AM   #13
nkhaira
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
I totally get you lol, didn't think you were being sarcastic! And I think we've seen only 1 or 2 other people post with your issue. I don't believe they got to the bottom of it or reported back. So in short: I'm not sure.

Your mechanic, when he recommended the DME was the problem, might've been using BMW history/context as well. I mentioned the N54 DME problem to the other guy on here as well as the only other time I've seen an all cylinder misfire on this motor, or at least posted about.
Ahh I understand..so when I ran the codes again it was just the two codes one being a crankshaft hub failure something like it so not sure if all the cylinders were misfiring like before..it seems to me like this current Indy I’m at is not tune friendly so perhaps taking it to somewhere that actually tolerates tune like BimmerClinic here might make more sense since it is close by..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I could see something like a crankshaft hub failure giving the misfires since it won't know exactly where the engine rotation is.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #15
nkhaira
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I could see something like a crankshaft hub failure giving the misfires since it won't know exactly where the engine rotation is.
Noted sir, that is one of the two codes I got after clearing all and reflashing back to stock and locking DME. I will let the next shop know.
Appreciate 0