F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > G2 Caliper Paint Match Grey front 340 to blue 345 rears
Extreme Powerhouse

02-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
nadefade
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

G2 Caliper Paint Match Grey front 340 to blue 345 rears

Has anyone had success paint matching their grey 340 front calipers to the rear blue msport 345s? I recently picked up a set off a m240i for my 340i, and hope to paint match my front. The only review I saw on the G2 paint was user rogersmj saying they came out lighter than hoped for, but unsure if this was the Estoril Blue paint or not. Not much else on the forums.

Additionally, I found some decals online for the m logo, but any fan favorites?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
dthahn
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

G2 has an exact paint match for Estoril Blue but not msport brake blue

You would have to go to the G2 website to purchase the estoril blue brake caliper paint set. Their normal blue is not an exact match to the msport brake blue but neither is the estoril blue. However, the estoril blue might be closer to the msport blue than their normal blue.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

They are far enough apart (front to rear) that as long as the color is close the difference probably wont be that noticeable.
      03-03-2021, 09:41 PM   #4
nadefade
Private
Rep

That's what I figured. I ended up ordering the Monte Carlo Blue after some research, as I'd rather have the fronts slightly darker than lighter. I also ordered decals from SupDec Graphix and will be posting photos once completed for the benefit of anyone tackling this project. Stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:13 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadefade View Post
That's what I figured. I ended up ordering the Monte Carlo Blue after some research, as I'd rather have the fronts slightly darker than lighter. I also ordered decals from SupDec Graphix and will be posting photos once completed for the benefit of anyone tackling this project. Stay tuned!
IMO attempting to paint match is a waste of time. Just pick a color that you like and paint all four calipers. The blue paint on Brembo M Sport is terrible. It dries out and chips very easily. When tracked the heat can turn it a greenish blue.

G2USA is a two part epoxy like coating that is really durable that looks freshly painted all of the time. Photo shows my buddy's calipers that he changed from blue to red with G2USA Caliper Paint.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #6
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
IMO attempting to paint match is a waste of time. Just pick a color that you like and paint all four calipers. The blue paint on Brembo M Sport is terrible. It dries out and chips very easily. When tracked the heat can turn it a greenish blue.

G2USA is a two part epoxy like coating that is really durable that looks freshly painted all of the time. Photo shows my buddy's calipers that he changed from blue to red with G2USA Caliper Paint.
wow those came out great for G2, did he blast them to get the blue off? i have a set of f80 calipers i want to change to red and have a g2 red kit i bought last year but i see mixed results about the brush stokes being visible using G2 kits. my other option is sand and vht caliper paint with a good clear after.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
nadefade
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Great feedback! Is this done with one can or two?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
Quote:

wow those came out great for G2, did he blast them to get the blue off? i have a set of f80 calipers i want to change to red and have a g2 red kit i bought last year but i see mixed results about the brush stokes being visible using G2 kits. my other option is sand and vht caliper paint with a good clear after.
Nope, he just painted right over the blue. With G2 Caliper Paint the air temperature when you are painting is critical just like the directions say. I can't remember the range, maybe 55-70? Don't quote me. But I recall that when I was finishing up painting in the morning and the temperature began to creep up just a couple of degrees above the maximum. The paint on my brush started to get gloppy. I immediately stopped. The paint leveled out beautifully. No brush marks. So you may have seen photos from guys who didn't follow directions
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:51 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great feedback! Is this done with one can or two?
He only needed one can of G2. It goes a long way. If you are worried they sell engine painting kits that cost 50% more and have 50% more paint.

I don't think one brush that comes with the kit is enough.

Harbor Freight sells a pack of 36 of those aluminum handled acid type brushes for like $3. I use them for gluing and all kinds of things
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
nadefade
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, he just painted right over the blue. With G2 Caliper Paint the air temperature when you are painting is critical just like the directions say. I can't remember the range, maybe 55-70? Don't quote me. But I recall that when I was finishing up painting in the morning and the temperature began to creep up just a couple of degrees above the maximum. The paint on my brush started to get gloppy. I immediately stopped. The paint leveled out beautifully. No brush marks. So you may have seen photos from guys who didn't follow directions
Interesting! How are they holding up? I'm considering repainting my rears now, but would be concerned with the G2 paint failing without stripping the oem paint (since it cheats so easily).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #11
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

Quote:
He only needed one can of G2. It goes a long way. If you are worried they sell engine painting kits that cost 50% more and have 50% more paint.

Harbor Freight sells a pack of 36 of those aluminum handled acid type brushes for like $3. I use them for gluing and all kinds of things
just was a little worried, seen a few guys swear by vht caliper paint baking on and the shooting with clear was a tough call between their finished product and yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting! How are they holding up? I'm considering repainting my rears now, but would be concerned with the G2 paint failing without stripping the oem paint (since it cheats so easily).
Mine looked like freshly painted two years later. I would suggest cleaning them well with nylon brushes and Formula 409 which works well to remove dirt and brake dust.

Then I would just rough up the surface with like 400 grit wet sand paper, or what works well is a sanding sponge of roughly that grit. Then right before painting I wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:00 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

just was a little worried, seen a few guys swear by vht caliper paint baking on and the shooting with clear was a tough call between their finished product and yours.
Guys have told me that regular caliper paint doesn't hold up and needs to be redone regularly. G2 is more like a hard shell, than paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #14
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

I have used the G2 paint on several cars over the years and highly recommend it. My BMW 335i had 5 years of Michigan winters and still looked great! I will warn you that the two part coating dries fairly quick (30-35 minutes) so have all four rotors fully cleaned and taped off ready to coat prior to performing the task. The small acid brush will work fine, do the front rotors first before coating thickens. You can get the G2 paint in a custom color for example Estoril Blue:

https://www.g2usa.com/product/CBCP-335.html

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0