F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > My ED Coming up!! Munich-Salzburg? Suggestions/Advice
GetBMWParts

05-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
KYBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 40i; '18 M2;'15 435x GC

My ED Coming up!! Munich-Salzburg? Suggestions/Advice

Very excited to pick up my 435xi GC, EBII on June 23rd in Munich!

Unfortunately have only a few days - Monday June 22nd through June 26th, returning car in Munich on June 26.

I was thinking of making the trip from Munich to Salzburg, and returning. I've heard amazing things about Salzburg.

Wanted to ask the forum about suggested routes during my time, and thoughts about the Munich to Salzburg trip and/or whether you guys have any other suggestions -- I'll have the car for about 72 hours!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBimmer View Post
Very excited to pick up my 435xi GC, EBII on June 23rd in Munich!

Unfortunately have only a few days - Monday June 22nd through June 26th, returning car in Munich on June 26.

I was thinking of making the trip from Munich to Salzburg, and returning. I've heard amazing things about Salzburg.

Wanted to ask the forum about suggested routes during my time, and thoughts about the Munich to Salzburg trip and/or whether you guys have any other suggestions -- I'll have the car for about 72 hours!
First, congratulations. ED is an amazing experience.

I think you can do more that Salzburg if you have 72 hours with the car. For example, you could go to Salzburg first and then drive back to Munich the long way via Innsbruck, Austria and Füssen, Germany. These destinations are less than 2 hours drive time each for a total of less than 8 hours of straight through driving. This leaves plenty of time for sightseeing and photo opportunities.

Taking the long way back to Munich will allow you to get more time with your car and see the Austrian alps and a pretty cool castle in the bargain.

Please remember Austria requires a permit to drive in their country. Its called a motorway vignette. Here is the info: http://www.austria.info/uk/how-to-ge...d-1134817.html

There are many other options. Check out other forum members ideas and Google Maps and you will come up with a great trip.

Enjoy and share pictures when you get back.

http://www.austria.info/uk/how-to-ge...d-1134817.html
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
contactjj
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Congratulation to your new car. It depends on what you want to do. As above post says, you can do a little more than just Salzburg unless your prefer to stay there for 2 days as a lot of people prefer.

For things to do in Salzburg, http://www.cityscouter.com/travelgui...tractions.html. You can find out recommendations for hotels and restaurants at www.tripadvisor.com

On your way to Salzburg, you could drive on German Alpine Road. Route: https://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=d...5,3.251953&z=8 and http://www.losapos.com/german_alpine_road_alpenstrasse

If want more sight seeing and less driving, Berchtesgarden is 1 hour drive south from Slazburg. You will have plenty things to do for 1+ day: Eagle's Nest, Salt Mine, and Dokumentation Obersalzberg are on my list. If you like natural scenery, lake Königssee is a must. There are also various hiking routes with great views. http://www.seenschifffahrt.de/en/

If you like high mountains, Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse www.grossglockner.at is doable for you.

Of course you must have heard Neuschwanstein castle, etc. near Fussen. If you do go there, there is also a lift near Tegelberg with nice view.

Enjoy !
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 01:09 AM   #4
Northcar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e93

We picked up on a Tuesday and the next day took in the Factory Tour before heading out for the Castles where we spent the night and the next day caught both castle tours before driving on to Rothenburg. The next day in Rothenburg walked the wall and then drove on to Salzburg. Overnighted there and toured the city itself on our own the next morning and mid afternoon took the Sound of Music Tour before driving back to Munich for final night, Saturday night, in Europe. Four days that included driving (Wednesday through Saturday) and our flight left Sunday morning.

Point is, in the time you have there is quite a bit you can do. Here is a link to our full European Delivery Travel Experience:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=832606

Last edited by Northcar; 05-30-2015 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
macagain
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 435i xdrive MSport

I did a similar trip last September.

Salzburg is an incredibly beautiful place. It was my 3rd trip there. If it's your first time there, you'll definitely want to stay more than one night there.

We picked up the car on Tues and left from the Welt around 4pm and drove directly there. It was a pretty short trip but by the time we got to Salzburg we were so tired, just coming down from all the excitement of the day, new car etc. We checked in, chilled and found a nice place for dinner (Wiener Schnitzel!) and a couple beers. The next day we spent the day looking around Salzburg old town, new town, walking up Fortress Hohensalzburg, etc. I can't say enough how beautiful Salzburg is! Wed night, we got a recommendation for another Austrian restaurant with more locals than tourist.

On Thursday (i.e. after 2 nights in Salzburg), we drove to Berchtesgaden. If you are into history, you'll want to see Hitler's Eagle's Nest. (It's a UNESCO site, and I'm trying to hit as many of those as I can... call it my bucket list!). That pretty much took the whole day.

Some Tips:
- When picking a hotel in Salzburg, make sure it's got covered parking! Many of the nicer hotels in old town do not have parking or self parking. We stayed at the Mercure Salzburg Central. Not a super high end place, but if you get one of the superior rooms, it's quite nice. But the most important thing is its got secured covered parking with pretty good sized parking spaces! Believe me, this is quite important with your brand spanking new 1 day old Bimmer! You don't want no valet driving it, and you sure don't want to park it in the street overnight!
- Die Weisse is an awesome microbrewery that has awesome Wiener Schnitzel. Lots of people from all over, but not too touristy. It's just a block from the Mercure.
- Barenwirt is another awesome dinner place. Again, not too many tourists!
- Hit Berchstegaden early so you get one of the parking spots closer in.
- check out my thread for more tips related to vignette, misc ED info. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=1

legend for pics
1. View from the top of the Fortress
2. Old timey courtyard at the top of the Fortress
3. The abbey from the Sound of Music where the nuns mess with the Nazis' car.
4. The river (which divides old town from new town and the fortress in the bg)
5. Hitler's Eagle's Nest - Berchtesgaden

Have a great trip! You'll be back! Feel free to ping me if you want to ask any questions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

You're gonna be so jaded after ED.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
KYBimmer
United_States
Rep

Really appreciate the great suggestions -- I'm feeling much better about what we can drive / see during my limited time there. Also the practical suggestions are extremely helpful.

Will definitely be keeping a log and taking lots of pics to post after the experience. I've been patiently waiting for delivery...and then I'll be ready to wait another six weeks for dealer delivery...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
KYBimmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macagain View Post
I did a similar trip last September.

Salzburg is an incredibly beautiful place. It was my 3rd trip there. If it's your first time there, you'll definitely want to stay more than one night there.

We picked up the car on Tues and left from the Welt around 4pm and drove directly there. It was a pretty short trip but by the time we got to Salzburg we were so tired, just coming down from all the excitement of the day, new car etc. We checked in, chilled and found a nice place for dinner (Wiener Schnitzel!) and a couple beers. The next day we spent the day looking around Salzburg old town, new town, walking up Fortress Hohensalzburg, etc. I can't say enough how beautiful Salzburg is! Wed night, we got a recommendation for another Austrian restaurant with more locals than tourist.

On Thursday (i.e. after 2 nights in Salzburg), we drove to Berchtesgaden. If you are into history, you'll want to see Hitler's Eagle's Nest. (It's a UNESCO site, and I'm trying to hit as many of those as I can... call it my bucket list!). That pretty much took the whole day.

Some Tips:
- When picking a hotel in Salzburg, make sure it's got covered parking! Many of the nicer hotels in old town do not have parking or self parking. We stayed at the Mercure Salzburg Central. Not a super high end place, but if you get one of the superior rooms, it's quite nice. But the most important thing is its got secured covered parking with pretty good sized parking spaces! Believe me, this is quite important with your brand spanking new 1 day old Bimmer! You don't want no valet driving it, and you sure don't want to park it in the street overnight!
- Die Weisse is an awesome microbrewery that has awesome Wiener Schnitzel. Lots of people from all over, but not too touristy. It's just a block from the Mercure.
- Barenwirt is another awesome dinner place. Again, not too many tourists!
- Hit Berchstegaden early so you get one of the parking spots closer in.
- check out my thread for more tips related to vignette, misc ED info. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=1

legend for pics
1. View from the top of the Fortress
2. Old timey courtyard at the top of the Fortress
3. The abbey from the Sound of Music where the nuns mess with the Nazis' car.
4. The river (which divides old town from new town and the fortress in the bg)
5. Hitler's Eagle's Nest - Berchtesgaden

Have a great trip! You'll be back! Feel free to ping me if you want to ask any questions.

Your page has some awesome logistics suggestions, thanks so much.
Appreciate 0