F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > xHP - jerk shifts now only in sport+
proTUNING Freaks

02-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

xHP - jerk shifts now only in sport+

Flashed stage 3.
after completing around 100 miles of normal driving in Eco/Comfort, i finally unleashed the beast.......... only to find that the head-jolting aggressive shifts in sport mode have gone, and they are only in sport+.
(yes i have my shifter in sport also, this is all in manual mode)

Why xHP configured this i have no idea, makes no sense to me.

I don't want to have to switch to Sport+ just so i can feel more aggressive upshifts, which were previously in sport mode before the flash.....
i appreciate that maybe the upshifts are faster, but i don't really care, i liked that 'mechanical' feeling.

how do i fix this please?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:06 PM   #2
Besi5190
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive Touring

There is a option soft shifts in Sport. You can disable that.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 08:54 AM   #3
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besi5190 View Post
There is a option soft shifts in Sport. You can disable that.

I'm pretty sure I had no custom settings on apart from the "allow 8th gear in cruise control" thingy setting.

I'll double check.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
Flashed stage 3.
after completing around 100 miles of normal driving in Eco/Comfort, i finally unleashed the beast.......... only to find that the head-jolting aggressive shifts in sport mode have gone, and they are only in sport+.

I don't want to have to switch to Sport+ just so i can feel more aggressive upshifts, which were previously in sport mode before the flash.....
i appreciate that maybe the upshifts are faster, but i don't really care, i liked that 'mechanical' feeling.

Ok, so I'm not alone with that feeling. When it was adapting I was loving the snappy shifts. Now it feels more OEM again. Will check that setting in the post above....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #5
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Ok, so I'm not alone with that feeling. When it was adapting I was loving the snappy shifts. Now it feels more OEM again. Will check that setting in the post above....
i had posted in the UK xhp thread about this, but basically, xHP confirmed to me that they have moved the aggressive shifts out of sport, and into Sport+.
There's no way to change that. They have purposely made sport mode completely smooth.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:10 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Well, that licks... royally. I use manual mode all the time, so I never experience the earlier shifts, but would like that harshness back on the gear changes.

Comfort is there for a reason. Make that one smooth....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:54 PM   #7
Jay5k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

I like to go in sport mode and click the traction control off once.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 04:37 AM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Everyone complaining, but no one here asking the most important question...:
WHY have they done that......?

A. Just for fun
B. To annoy you
C. Their email box is feeling lonely, they love questions
D. To prevent damage to your gearbox or make damage of abuse less likely (based on complaints or experience they gathered)
E. It was Friday afternoon and they felt like they have to change something completely randomly

Not an xHP user myself, but just guessing...
      02-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

No clue. The engineer in me is asking all those questions.

Their marketed pitch is you need to crisper / hard shifts to save the clutches when you have a lot of power (which is also conventional wisdom from the dawn of the automatic). Just odd they don't allow it in sport. When you check that setting that was listed above, it does say "sport/sport+ can have hard/soft shifts".

That is still the same message in the latest update from 2 days ago. Now, that being said, I did just re-flash with the same map, so maybe they "fixed" it on the Feb 19th update? Haven't gotten out yet today to try it.
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1870.50
      02-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, that licks... royally. I use manual mode all the time, so I never experience the earlier shifts, but would like that harshness back on the gear changes.

Comfort is there for a reason. Make that one smooth....
indeed. I sent em back an email begging them to at least make it an option to allow us to have sport mode match sport+, like you i also use manual mode all the time.

i have to say sport+ is fantastic and it justifies the cost of it, especially when i take it out on track, but its annoying that they've given options to change things in some areas, and not others.
Indeed, there are already 2 other modes, ecopro and comfort, + 2 combinations of each of them (selector in D or S), they even acknowledge this in a blog post where they talk about how this creates 10 different combinations to play with, so why they feel like Sport mode needs to be 'softened' doesn't make much sense to me.

i did select the 'enable soft shifts in sport mode' setting and made sure it was set to Off too, thinking that may override any softness in the Stage3 map, but it was the same.

guess we can't have everything! (unless theres enough demand for it i suppose)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #11
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I opened up the all the custom settings, and found something "interesting". Clicking the box, doesn't necessarily enable or disable the setting. Clicking the box takes you to the feature, and then there is an on/off.

IE, I had the gear numbers on. Even with that checked, if I selected off once in that feature, they went away.

Soooo.... I went through and checked EVERY box and then in each setting that I wanted (gear change, 8th gear in cruise and hard shifts) I selected what I want.

Going out to grab lunch soon and see how that works. It might be the OTS maps have it disabled, but you can override it with the custom settings? Fingers crossed....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #12
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

OK, sees like my idea was just a red herring. It's not "sport+" mode specifically, you need to have "DTC off" clicked (something that happens when you do sport+ mode) to get the firmer shifts.

The release notes for map 1.7 only indicates the harder shifts in sport+, regardless of what the hard shift mode feature says. I'm going to punt xhp an email to clarify.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 04:59 PM   #13
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Sent a note to XHP to check.

Thinking out loud, it might be an issue where you can get wheel slip on hard shifts, which would engage the traction control (hence why it only works with DSC off).

Kind of like watching a classic muscle car with a high stall converter where there tires would chirp at low speeds on each gear change.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:12 PM   #14
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

@Wires I could see that being plausible as I find myself hitting the traction button once even when in comfort for the faster shifts as I drive in manual mode unless going on long trips and want to use cruise control. Curious to see what they write back but your assumption seems spot on in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #15
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I'll post back when I get an answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:50 AM   #16
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Ok, after the typically back and forth non-committal answers, it ended up being "sorry, we cannot configure that".

My guess is that goes a bit further into the TCU area that XHP cannot touch. Long story short: You can stop looking for this unicorn that does not exist.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:42 AM   #17
Trekker1596
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Flashed stage 3.

Quote:
Quote:
Flashed stage 3.

I may have a work around? I have a 335i xDrive and I initially did not have the sport trans as an option. I used xhp stage 3 before coding in the sport trans through BimmerCode. I had to do this because at the time stage 3 didn't unlock sport+ as it should have. Nor had it seemed to do anything other then add the gear number in the gear indicator screen. I thing flashed the SA2TB on through BimmerCode. This woke the cars up and made things work amazingly well as advertised… apart from fast shifting manual mode in sport. Having re-flashed xhp finding the shifts in manual V3.5 were slow. Much like you I was a bit disappointed. I went digging back in BimmerCode and turned off the sport trans and left xhp on. In manual sport the shifts are as smooth an fast as manual sport+. The only drawback I've had so far is it seems to remove the throttle mapping that xhp seems to be using and you get no pops off throttle. Being that I don't want to brick my TCU I've turned the sport trans back on in BimmerCode and are having the same experience you gentle are.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #18
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I have noticed that after the weather got warmer, the sport shifts are more firm than before. Not sure if was the transmission adapting, or if the TCU pulls back line pressures when the oil is cold?

Anyways, it's much better now it's summer and I've logged a bunch of miles than the first day impressions.
Appreciate 0