F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension Options Koni Special-Active vs B12 PRO vs B4 vs SACHS
GetBMWParts

03-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
jpjpjpjp
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Suspension Options Koni Special-Active vs B12 PRO vs B4 vs SACHS

So after failing my inspection at the Swiss DMV, I have started to look at my options in terms of replacement parts for both the front and rear.

After searching for the best deals in CH and DE, I've priced out 4 different options for my 2014 335 xDrive(M Sport Package). As I live in Zurich, I do a mix of city driving but also venture out into the mountains quite often. Snow is something I will need to consider if I decide to lower. Also, I don't track the car or anything like that.

SACHS(315 872,315 870,315 871) w/ original springs $345
This should hopefully just refresh the suspension. Not expecting anything to be too different. Read that this should get me close to the original OEM feel.

B4(19-220093,22-238269,22-238276) w/ original springs $489
From what I've read, these should be a bit stiffer and handling should improve slightly. Don't really like the price point as I compare it with the other options.

Koni Special-Active(8745-1378R,8745-1378L,8245-1319) w/ original springs $550
I think this is going to be my preferred option. Not alot of info out there on these but I like that they seem to offer comfort but still offer performance above the SACHS or B4's. I checked the on Koni site but want to confirm these will work for my model and the springs

B12 (E90-20-031-06-22) $700

I want to want these but I'm not sure if they are a right fit for me. Seems like it would be pretty stiff and since I do some city driving, that might get old quick from a comfort aspect. Are they a lot rougher than the KONIs? In terms of lowering the car, I've read that AWD lowers differently than RWD?

Let me know what you guys think about the different options!

Last edited by jpjpjpjp; 03-01-2021 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

This is a great thread to read with full credit going to FaRKle!.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1662711

johnung is a a fan of Koni Special-Active shocks.

Given the choices, I also suggest Koni Special-Active.

I had an almost identical car to yours in the past: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive sedan. After installing KW Street Comfort coilovers, the handling was transformed without sacrificing ride comfort. The suspension height was intentionally set at near OEM height. But - KW Street Comfort coilovers cost more.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      03-04-2021, 04:06 AM   #3
jpjpjpjp
Rep

Swiss Regs

My first thought was to go with B16 or some KW's. Unfortunately, it seems like if you "change the suspension type" in Switzerland i.e. coilovers, you potentially need to get "expert opinions" and that can lead to needing additional testing.

Spoke to my mechanic and he even advised against the B12's since the new springs would lower the car, the MFK might raise issues. I pulled the trigger today on the Koni Special actives. Hopefully everything goes well with the inspection, my only worry is that they see those bright red shocks and start asking questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjpjpjp View Post
My first thought was to go with B16 or some KW's. Unfortunately, it seems like if you "change the suspension type" in Switzerland i.e. coilovers, you potentially need to get "expert opinions" and that can lead to needing additional testing.

Spoke to my mechanic and he even advised against the B12's since the new springs would lower the car, the MFK might raise issues. I pulled the trigger today on the Koni Special actives. Hopefully everything goes well with the inspection, my only worry is that they see those bright red shocks and start asking questions.
jpjpjpjp, does MFK honor Germany's TUV certifications?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:

No b14?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
If they work as well on your model, as they (Koni FSD as they were known) did on my E91 touring, you will be well pleased, better comfort with more control. They definitely widen the working envelope.

Koni's valving and resulting damping map, gets you close to an adaptive damper performance, without electronics involved.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
jpjpjpjp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
jpjpjpjp, does MFK honor Germany's TUV certifications?
Nope TUV is not accepted. Depending on the canton, the ABE may be accepted but you always run the risk. Typically, you need an "expert opinion" or CH-Eignungserklärung
with any suspension that "changes the suspension type". Basically means that you either pay for the part from a Swiss reseller which will upcharge you between 30-50% on the part or you buy the "CH-Eignungserklärung" apart which can cost you between 130-250 CHF depending on the part. If you import your car here with the part installed, they might let you slide or not depending on who is reviewing the car. Basically, when importing a car into Switzerland, try to keep it as stock as possible, all sorts of horror stories out there. Rims seems to be the biggest gotcha as any after market rim needs to have Swiss approval. Spoken to many people here in Switzerland that literally have a set of parts they install before going to MFK and then revert back to aftermarket once the car passes.

Here is an example(for a VW):
https://shop.eibach.ch/ch-gutachten-...-pc-16-m116-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
If they work as well on your model, as they (Koni FSD as they were known) did on my E91 touring, you will be well pleased, better comfort with more control. They definitely widen the working envelope.

Koni's valving and resulting damping map, gets you close to an adaptive damper performance, without electronics involved.
That is my hope. Maintaining comfort while some increased performance. Also, I am considering resale value and test drives when that time comes. Most people don't like stiff suspension so this seemed like a good compromise.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
jpjpjpjp
Rep

Quote:
Spoken to many people here in Switzerland that literally have a set of parts they install before going to MFK and then revert back to aftermarket once the car passes.
Just to clarify, not advising that anyone do this. If the aftermarket part is deemed to be the cause of the accident and wasn't approved/registered during MFK inspection, your insurance company can basically deny coverage and leave you with the liability.
Appreciate 0