F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F31 LCI interior light problem
proTUNING Freaks

01-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #353
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

still waiting to hear about mine
      01-31-2019, 09:07 AM   #354
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
Mine is in for this today, as well as low coolant message. Flagged it up for when they do the oil and micro filter service. We will see!
Low coolant message? - it's possible you might not get the car back for a while.
See the EGR thread
It's a 340i so I don't have one as far as I'm aware?!

I did wonder but it only seemed to be an issue with the diesel cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:48 AM   #355
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

My F30 (2017) car went in mid January, for the new light module to be fitted.

I hadn't used ACC frequently until last week.

Guess what.

It's not fixed!

I can't be sure they replaced the unit though.......

03-02-2019, 05:52 AM   #356
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanasBack View Post
My F30 (2017) car went in mid January, for the new light module to be fitted.

I hadn't used ACC frequently until last week.

Guess what.

It's not fixed!

I can't be sure they replaced the unit though.......

FFS!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #357
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mine is in for this today, as well as low coolant message. Flagged it up for when they do the oil and micro filter service. We will see!
So was told it was fixed, on collection nothing had been done. So not great considering I had to book the car in two months ahead to get a courtesy car. I think the service advisor could see the frustration, after all I had given him all the info when I dropped it off. I said BMW knew about the issue.

So after a few emails and phone calls he eventually got back to me after a month(long term sick causing delay)and said a master tech is chasing it with BMW and they will let me know what is going on as soon as they hear back.

I have a feeling I will be chasing this in the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #358
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So was told it was fixed, on collection nothing had been done. So not great considering I had to book the car in two months ahead to get a courtesy car. I think the service advisor could see the frustration, after all I had given him all the info when I dropped it off. I said BMW knew about the issue.

So after a few emails and phone calls he eventually got back to me after a month(long term sick causing delay)and said a master tech is chasing it with BMW and they will let me know what is going on as soon as they hear back.

I chased it for 3 years!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #359
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:

I actually used your case as an example of how far it has come and how long it has taken, Its not on what happened to you at all,
I hoped it would make them realise a lot of the hard work has been done else where up until now, but no they wanted to test drive it for a few mins and tell me it's all ok as it didn't do it. A long road ahead I feel.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:19 AM   #360
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:

I actually used your case as an example of how far it has come and how long it has taken, Its not on what happened to you at all,
I hoped it would make them realise a lot of the hard work has been done else where up until now, but no they wanted to test drive it for a few mins and tell me it's all ok as it didn't do it. A long road ahead I feel.
I feel for you mate, I almost can't believe they fobbed me off for 3 years with this!

I know it's no consolation to you, but they have at least fixed this on the Gxx platform!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #361
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:

i was just about to start a new thread about this very issue, good thing i searched.

mine main interior light has been flashing randomly too, at first i thought it was reflections off car lights or something but then noticed it during the day. i DONT have ACC.

i thought to myself "how hard can it be to fix" and was about to book it with the dealer. Then i find this thread. Oh god!

before i trawl through 3 year worth of pages, did anyone manage to get theirs fixed?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #362
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
i was just about to start a new thread about this very issue, good thing i searched.

mine main interior light has been flashing randomly too, at first i thought it was reflections off car lights or something but then noticed it during the day. i DONT have ACC.

i thought to myself "how hard can it be to fix" and was about to book it with the dealer. Then i find this thread. Oh god!

before i trawl through 3 year worth of pages, did anyone manage to get theirs fixed?
As far as we can tell, no fix yet, and there seems to be no tangible confirmation that anybody (in the BMW chain) has seriously taken ownership of this as an issue to be resolved... Folks have been told that it is known about and being looked at, but nobody has been able to get a case number (or similar) to back that up.. In other words, to be able to log their own issue onto the same referral...

I would love to know if the people (in BMW) responsible for coding the "brain" of the car have looked at this... Early on, the speculation was that this as a glitch in the code of the Com Bus system and I still think that is the case... I don't think this is loose wires or faulty units...

I think that there is a command that is being sent out (by the "brain") when a combination of somethings happen together and the result of this is the command for the light switching on... may be an errant line of code, somewhere, as nobody is reporting anything not happening (that should) at the same time... (so, for instance, it is not switching the interior light on instead of, say, flashing up a big warning about something on the screen.)..

For that sort of thing to be resolved requires a) the whole code to be reviewed and the errant bit located and then b) a recoding...

To be honest, I have no idea whether or not you can recode a car like that...

Also, it would have to be the exact code that was installed on the car that was looked at, not the not the back up, in case the glitch slipped in after sign off... ...

Unless a dealer can precisely recreate the circumstances (and that is difficult as we have been unable to track it down, really... although we each have some thoughts..) then a dealer is unlikely to be able to diagnose... and so we get the drive and "it's OK now mate" type of responses...

My guess is that this slipped in for a certain set of builds and then was resolved by a later update (whether or not that was a deliberate or accidental solution)...

Mine still does this and has done since new... I've never bothered booking it in for them to look as my dealer would be just like the others reported here...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #363
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
Quote:

That sounds like a different problem, I think everyone else has ACC and the light comes on and stays on, it doesn't flash at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #364
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Just checking if anyone ever got this sorted on an Estate? Did the new light clusters fitted to a few not working the end?

Ive been chasing my dealer on this since Christmas (originally reported to them in year 1) and the car is in for an MOT and end of Warranty check next week. When I pointed out I wanted the problem fixed before end of warranty I just get blank looks and them saying theyll take it for a drive
      04-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #365
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

My car (F31 Touring) goes back to BMW next week and has had the problem for as long as I can remember.
Went in 2 times for a fix and it is still there. I used to do a lot of long night time journeys with ACC and it was really annoying.
Pretty poor as there seems to be quite a few now.
I don't have the issue in my new M140i, though I do have a problem with the traction light coming on a lot
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #366
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

I'm just resolved to mine never being fixed... My guess is that it is a software issue, affects very few cars in total, and the effort to track down the erroneous line of code is not warranted by the scale and nature of the problem...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #367
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Thanks guys. Pretty poor that BMW cant really be arse to look at the problem thats been going on for so long
      04-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #368
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

So I had my end of warranty check today along with my MOT. MOT failed on the rear two tyres that have cuts in them 2 New PS4S needed now.

But, they did pick up the adaptive cruise/bulb problem and have actually ordered a new rear light unit. Whether it will actually fix it is anyones guess but at least they're having a go I suppose.

Ill let you know if it works.
      04-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #369
thenagaraja
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 320i M Sport (LCI)

Hi everyone, I went Baron BMW in Bedford on 4 April 2019 and they were given a full list of issues a month in advance, which included this interior light issue.

They fitted a new light unit which BMW referred to at the end of Dec 2017 (at the time being developed not released). I confirmed they didnt just a fit a new "replacement" but a new part number/version of the light.

Its been two weeks of driving and the light has not come on at all (it still works as normal lol).

So if you want to get your car fixed, I would suggest speaking to Charlotte Sexton at Baron BMW in Bedford and get your car sorted for good. She's a very honest and straight forward and helped me with other BMW queries including the purchase of another car.

For reference my car is a 2016 F30 saloon M sport with the only option being active cruise and speed limit display, and my problem used to occur in cruise on, standby, off, it didnt matter the state but the fact it is installed in my car.

Hope this helps others finally getting their car sorted
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #370
thenagaraja
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 320i M Sport (LCI)

Low Coolant

Quote:

Hi RoShamBolt - my 320i (B48) went in for various issues including the interior light but also a very persistent coolant message. In the end they pressure tested it and it leaked while they inspected it and found it was the coolant pump (not sure if its the MECHANICAL engine one or ELECTRICAL turbo pump) but for the last 2 weeks (a bit early) it has fixed the issue.

Your 340i (B58) and my car have different turbo and engine coolant pumps, so not sure if it is the exact same cause but worth referring to this issue while they have it rather just refill, pressure, quick test and its all okay no issue (which other dealer did on 2 previous visits).

Hope you get it sorted
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #371
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenagaraja View Post
Quote:

Hi RoShamBolt - my 320i (B48) went in for various issues including the interior light but also a very persistent coolant message. In the end they pressure tested it and it leaked while they inspected it and found it was the coolant pump (not sure if its the MECHANICAL engine one or ELECTRICAL turbo pump) but for the last 2 weeks (a bit early) it has fixed the issue.

Your 340i (B58) and my car have different turbo and engine coolant pumps, so not sure if it is the exact same cause but worth referring to this issue while they have it rather just refill, pressure, quick test and its all okay no issue (which other dealer did on 2 previous visits).

Hope you get it sorted
Thanks for the heads up. The im keeping an eye on it. All ok so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #372
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenagaraja View Post
Hi everyone, I went Baron BMW in Bedford on 4 April 2019 and they were given a full list of issues a month in advance, which included this interior light issue.

They fitted a new light unit which BMW referred to at the end of Dec 2017 (at the time being developed not released). I confirmed they didnt just a fit a new "replacement" but a new part number/version of the light.

Its been two weeks of driving and the light has not come on at all (it still works as normal lol).

So if you want to get your car fixed, I would suggest speaking to Charlotte Sexton at Baron BMW in Bedford and get your car sorted for good. She's a very honest and straight forward and helped me with other BMW queries including the purchase of another car.

For reference my car is a 2016 F30 saloon M sport with the only option being active cruise and speed limit display, and my problem used to occur in cruise on, standby, off, it didnt matter the state but the fact it is installed in my car.

Hope this helps others finally getting their car sorted
Thanks for the info, well Stevenage BMW have been "looking into this" for three months now, when I email for an update after a month they don't reply, then I call day after day until they reply only to get the same story, does it really take three month to contact BMW and wait for a response to the dealer?! Especially when it's a problem BMW already know about!

Piss poor in my opinion. This and BMW connected drive deleting my apple car play without approval are seriously making me consider my next car not being a BMW again, I don't have time for this endless chasing with no results. I would be worried if something more serious was wrong how it would also be handled by BMW. I've never have any problems of this kind with any other brand of car I've owned.

SORT IT OUT BMW!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #373
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Well, time has run out, car is going in a week. The gremlins won, good luck all!
      08-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #374
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
Well, time has run out, car is going in a week. The gremlins won, good luck all!
Haha, same here! I’m sooo much happier in a Gxx, I’ve had zero problems with it so far!
Appreciate 0