F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > iPhone to P20 pro anyone?
GetBMWParts

09-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #23
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2 M35i U10

Huawei P20 Pro has both Face Unlock (which is miles faster then FaceID) and fingerprint!

Also it is the best phone currently in the market
      09-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #24
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo13 View Post
Huawei P20 Pro has both Face Unlock (which is miles faster then FaceID) and fingerprint!

Also it is the best phone currently in the market
Best camera on the market quite possibly.
It depends on your needs, but the kirin 970 processor has time and again not fared as well as either the latest (about to be even quicker) iphones with the A11 processor or the snapdragon 845 powered phones from the likes of Samsung etc, even when Huawei are fiddling/cheating with the internal settings to try to boost performance in benchmarking software. Incidentally, they will be making this "performance" mode available to all soon so they can be relisted in the benchmark comparisons....
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #25
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBk View Post

I had become used to the simplicity and intuitive nature of iOS but as time goes on I feel this is slowly disappearing, it feels like some areas are becoming needlessly over complicated for the sake of change.
The P20's standard EMUI 8 interface behaves similarly to iOS, but is highly adjustable, including altering how the navigation/home keys behave.
You can also download multiple "launchers" and keyboards from the Play store to allow you to tweak the appearance, behaviour & your experience to your liking - you'll find several based on various generations of iOS if you need to feel "at home".

The greater tweakability of Android is one of its strengths, but can also be a weakness when switching brands as they don't all behave the same way, or offer the same level of control.
I've just switched from a Blackberry Android (basically running "stock" Android) to a Honor 10 running EMUI 8 interface Android. Took me the best part of a week to get everything how I wanted, & to learn some of the finer control / quirks, but now I'm very happy.
Huawei have an app built in (PhoneClone) which will allow transfer of contacts, files, etc via the cloud or peer-to-peer WiFi, so switching over can be relatively painless.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #26
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
cannot literally wait for that live event! 2 years old phones (tech-wise) for 1000 pounds sounds delicious!. Cannot wait for another major fookup too, either software making older phones even slower , removal of charging point this time around or perhaps another U2 album landing in my playlist.
Yah I know, new phone releases are getting more and more lacklustre, and they did really take the piss with the £1k pricetag last year!

However, the Xs is apparently going to be £700 to £800 and have face id that works much quicker (I’d still much prefer touch id though!), also it’s going to have better wifi reception finally getting a quad antenna like Samsung’s have had for a long time now!

Also coming from an iPhone 7 the larger battery, dual lenses and of course larger screen are all also tempting me to upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2018, 03:57 AM   #27
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Garage List
little update, after seeing the new iPhone release and the pricing that goes with them I decided now was the time to take the plunge and give a different phone a try

Decided to go for the P20 Pro in the end, after considering the more popular s9. in the end I'm happy with my choice. At £30 upfront and £31 pm for 20gb of data (more than enough for me) it was a no brainer, Id be looking at double that for a new iPhone.

Really pleased with the look and feel of the phone, feels like a quality handset. Battery life is outstanding, easily getting a day and a half off a full charge with quite regular use. Camera is a world apart from my now outdated 6s but admittedly haven't compared it to the likes of the latest Samsung or apple cameras. Had it a week now and I feel comfortable using it and how android works, I don't really see the big divide in opinions between the iOS and Android systems, there are a couple of things which aren't as good on one but made up for with nice features elsewhere. What helped was laying out the home screen apps similar to my old phone so it was mostly familiar to start with. Overall I like it and for the price of the contract compared to the opposition l feel like I have made the right decision.

If you're considering trying something different after years with apple like I was, then I would say give it a go. Your world won't fall apart trying out a different system and you might just find some features you really like.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #28
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
little update, after seeing the new iPhone release and the pricing that goes with them I decided now was the time to take the plunge and give a different phone a try

Decided to go for the P20 Pro in the end, after considering the more popular s9. in the end I'm happy with my choice. At £30 upfront and £31 pm for 20gb of data (more than enough for me) it was a no brainer, Id be looking at double that for a new iPhone.

Really pleased with the look and feel of the phone, feels like a quality handset. Battery life is outstanding, easily getting a day and a half off a full charge with quite regular use. Camera is a world apart from my now outdated 6s but admittedly haven't compared it to the likes of the latest Samsung or apple cameras. Had it a week now and I feel comfortable using it and how android works, I don't really see the big divide in opinions between the iOS and Android systems, there are a couple of things which aren't as good on one but made up for with nice features elsewhere. What helped was laying out the home screen apps similar to my old phone so it was mostly familiar to start with. Overall I like it and for the price of the contract compared to the opposition l feel like I have made the right decision.

If you're considering trying something different after years with apple like I was, then I would say give it a go. Your world won't fall apart trying out a different system and you might just find some features you really like.
That sounds crazy cheap, is it a 24 month contract?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #29
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
Come on, read the many leeks.
There will be 3 new Iphones announced on Wednesday, with the presentation taking place at 6pm UK time.
The x up be replaced by the xs.
Same 5.8 inch oled but faster, improved dual camera etc.

A Bigger x called the x max with 6.5 inch screen.
Will require second mortgage, as is the apple way.

IPhone 9, lcd screen, 6.1 inch. Single camera. "Budget" option...
Ok so I got the name wrong on the budget option. It's xr. Other than that, pretty much spot on the mystic meg front...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #30
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:

yeah 24 months, usually keep my phones at least two years anyway
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #31
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, that data plan would cost £20pm on sim only so you're getting the phone for £294!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #32
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, that data plan would cost £20pm on sim only so you're getting the phone for £294!!
yeah when top end phone contracts are at least £40pm plus a large sum for the phone it was quite nice to find a deal so reasonable and with a decent data allowance. That's with EE too who I've found to have the best coverage in my area, not always the cheapest deals though.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #33
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah when top end phone contracts are at least £40pm plus a large sum for the phone it was quite nice to find a deal so reasonable and with a decent data allowance. That's with EE too who I've found to have the best coverage in my area, not always the cheapest deals though.
I don't get how they can do it so cheap! It's a £670 phone, so if they're selling you the phone interest free it means you're only paying about £4pm for the data plan!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #34
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't get how they can do it so cheap! It's a £670 phone, so if they're selling you the phone interest free it means you're only paying about £4pm for the data plan!
that's the deal I got, in the end I got it through EE direct to save the hassle with making sure I kept my number and avoid issues with multiple bills etc. took a bit of bartering but they eventually came down
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #35
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

that's the deal I got, in the end I got it through EE direct to save the hassle with making sure I kept my number and avoid issues with multiple bills etc. took a bit of bartering but they eventually came down
They must buy the phones in really cheap from Huawei!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #36
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They must buy the phones in really cheap from Huawei!
I think they might be on some sort of commission to sell the handsets and that offsets the discounted price they can offer it for
Appreciate 0